Getting used to running - ran 1.5 miles today!

Options
So that probably is not alot to runners, but i am feeling great. Started out only being able to run 1/4 mile without stopping and walking. Granted, it was a slow pace, but you have to start somewhere. Today I'm looking for a 5K race in the Tampa/Orlando area to give me even more drive!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm doing c24k now, so 1.5 miles straight totally impresses me :smile:
  • bhawkins0617
    bhawkins0617 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I also started out only able to run a short distance before stopping and just completed a 5K this weekend. Keep up the good work! Running past the finish line feels awesome!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :happy: Everyone has to start somewhere! For me I think it's amazing-I love to jog and bike but when it comes to running, I can't seem to get my breathing down lol
  • staken444
    staken444 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Btw, what is the C24k?
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    After hitting 270 last year, my first workout I couldn't job 100m without nearly dying and needing oxygen. I'm not kidding. My trainer had me run to a bridge and I puked when I got there. Now I'm up to doing an 8K (5.3miles) and loving it. Don't give up, just make small goals for yourself and you can do it.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I think she met C25K and it's a running app...it helps to over like 8wks to be able to run a 5k. Check it out I am gonna start it soon myself. I've heard from a lot of people who had never ran in their life did the program and are now runners!

Angel
  • lmbigsby
    lmbigsby Posts: 36
    Options
    I just reached 2.5 miles without stopping or walking so I am right there with you and totally impressed. Your right we do have to start somewhere and each day I push myself a little farther. I am training for the Dirty Dash (similar to the Warrior Dash) in September. Keep it up.
  • susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your success! 1.5 miles is huge! You should definitely find a 5K to give you a goal and keep you motivated.

I used the C25K program too - it's wonderful. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in jogging.
  • Jenn264
    Jenn264 Posts: 43
    Options
    That's great! I'm just getting used to running too, I've never been the type to run haha and I felt so accomplished when I only ran 5 minutes then I eventually started running miles! My next goal is 1.5 miles!! :):)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Oops, yeah that's supposed to be couch to 5k! I've never run before, it's a great program for beginners :)
  • clairbow
    clairbow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm at the same point you are. I could only run for about 90 seconds a few months ago and now I'm running around 1.5 to 2 miles. I'm also hoping to run a 5k soon! Good luck!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Yay!! Congrats :) I am up to about that in running, too.
  • staken444
    Options
    I'll check out that C24K program - looks interesting! Thanks again everyone, after all of this encouragement I feel like getting back out there and running another 1.5 miles (not ;)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    awesome job! i was never a (good) runner but last year i ran a 10k, 8k, 5k, and 3k. i haven't done jack diddly since so i just signed up for one in september!!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    WWW.THECOLORRUN.COM

It's in December in Orlando, and it's gonna be awesome. Great job!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    congrats!! i also highly recommend the C25K program. i signed up for a 5k for the last day of the program which really kept me motivated to keep running. i've been able to keep my running shape for over a year, even though i only run once a week or so now.
  • staken444
    Options
    Made it up to 2 miles this week! Watch out Boston marathon lol ;). I signed up for a September 5 k in downtown Tampa. Taking my 14 year old son with me!
  • anderl34
    anderl34 Posts: 4
    Options
    KEEP IT UP!! I started running in February, not even able to run a full mile without walking. I stuck with running, doing it almost every day, never taking more than 2 days off and slowly increasing my distance. Since then, Iv'e run a 5K, 8K, 10K, and on August 18th I will be running A HALF MARATHON!! I NEVER imagined I could do what I'm doing now - I ran 10 miles last Sunday!

I have completely amazed myself with my accomplishments, and trust me, If I can do it, YOU can do it!

Keep up the good work :) It feels amazing, doesn't it?!
  • anderl34
    anderl34 Posts: 4
    Options
    Also, signing up for the 5K was an awesome idea!! Having something to train for is incredibly motivating.
  • staken444
    Options
    KEEP IT UP!! I started running in February, not even able to run a full mile without walking. I stuck with running, doing it almost every day, never taking more than 2 days off and slowly increasing my distance. Since then, Iv'e run a 5K, 8K, 10K, and on August 18th I will be running A HALF MARATHON!! I NEVER imagined I could do what I'm doing now - I ran 10 miles last Sunday!

I have completely amazed myself with my accomplishments, and trust me, If I can do it, YOU can do it!

Keep up the good work :) It feels amazing, doesn't it?!

Nice work! That is encouraging!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!