Sugars

In my food diary I am generally around my targets for everything, apart from sugars which are always through the roof.

I'm sure that almost all of them are from fruit (I eat a lot of fruit), but I don't know whether I should cut back on the fruit? Does it matter that fruit is so high in sugar?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    My sugars were high as well, but I eat a lot of fruit and most of my sugars came from fruit and I was told it was fine, not to worry about sugar from fruit.
  • My sugars were high as well, but I eat a lot of fruit and most of my sugars came from fruit and I was told it was fine, not to worry about sugar from fruit.

Oh good, I couldnt live without my fruit :)

Thanky uo
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    If it's from fruit you should be ok for the most part. Just try to make sure sugar doesn't make up a lot of your total carb intake.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Yes this is my issue too! Even things like skim milk have a ton of sugar : (
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, too and my sugars are always blown out of proportion. If my sugar is coming primarily from those two sources, I don't stress about it. The nutritional benefits from fruits and veggies are far more important than the natural sugars they contain.

I am way more concerned with artificial sweeteners and the like...and unless it's a splurge, I don't eat refined sugars from processed foods.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    I would not worry about sugar from fruit... There have been a lot of posts about this recently, seems most ppl are over on sugars most days because of fruit... But fruit is good for you!! Eat it and dont worry about the sugar!
  • Good to know about the fruit! I always go over on sugar due to fruit
  • Bug207
    Bug207 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm ALWAYS over on my sugar. Most of mine comes from fruit and Greek yogurt. I've been losing weight slowly but steadily so for me, going over on sugar isn't the end of the world. Now if all your sugar comes from bags of sour gummy worms (AKA me a few months ago) then it might be an issue!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    I think it would be great if MFP had two sugar categories. "Natural Sugars" like those in fruit and "Added Sugars" like those in cake and soda....
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    no one ever gets to be overweight from eating too much fruit :-)
    if you are nervous about the sugar... make sure you are eating whole fruits (not juices, even if they are 100%). your body will digest and process the sugar much slower when you have the fiber and other "stuff" in fruit along with the sugars, and it won't affect your blood sugar like sugar-sugar does!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I think it would be great if MFP had two sugar categories. "Natural Sugars" like those in fruit and "Added Sugars" like those in cake and soda....

Yeah cause there's such a huge difference between the two
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    In my food diary I am generally around my targets for everything, apart from sugars which are always through the roof.

I'm sure that almost all of them are from fruit (I eat a lot of fruit), but I don't know whether I should cut back on the fruit? Does it matter that fruit is so high in sugar?

The only caveat I could say to this is that realistically of your fruit and veggie intake, fruit should be the smaller part of that from a calorie standpoint. Also, if you struggle with binging or cravings; fruits are simple carboyhydrates which can easily spike insulin depending. What happens from there still amounts to self control but some folks lack that. Though likely if your sugar is all/mostly from fruit its not like you are eating an orange and then devouring icecream. When it comes down to it sugar is really just sugar, minor differences in chemical composition but your body breaks it down to the same form of energy.

As others have said though, the nutrient benefits outweigh most of the rest either way.
  • Thanks for putting my mind at rest guys :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    They are the same. Fail.