Dinner on 500 calories :)

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually search for recipes on different sites. I use Skinnytaste, Fat Secret, and All Recipes. I've found a few that are really good.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use pretty much any combination of things I have in my house that I think will go well together. I never use cream sauces. Only use oil if I'm making a large amount of food, so it is spreadout through the whole dish. I pretty much avoi pasta altogether. I only use Brown rice if it is being mixed in and I only use 80 calorie hot dog/hamburger buns, no other bread really (occasionally, a piece of garlic toast)

We follow the 50/25/25 rule but it's more like 20% meat, 40% hot veggie, 40% cold veggie/salad.

Nearly everynight we have a cucumber salad (Cucumbers with any produce we have, topped with either a bit of feta cheese or a low-cal vinaigrette. I roast a combination of hot veggies (carrots, peas, 1 potato, corn, etc...)

For us, as long as meat/main attraction are under 250 calories, we almost always come in under 350 for dinner. There are quite a few foods that are under 200 cals.... frozen seasoned turkey burgers, Tyson Ready Grilled Chicken, 4 oz Boneless Pork Chop. Turkey Meatball Subs, Homemade pizza, Egg-white omelets. The possibilities are endless. We do this every night, never feel hungry when done, and, even if it's a modified version of a familiar favorite, never feel like we are losing out on taste.
  • Aealdridge13
    Aealdridge13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste is a great website! If you like pasta but don't want to get the carbs or calories that go along with it try spaghetti squash! SkinnyTaste has an awesome recipe for a meat sauce to go with it, or you can simply sautee up some garlic in olive oil and toss in the squash and more veggies if you would like. Delicious and filling :)
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i usually have Half a chicken breast (no skin) Grilled w/ Salt, Pepper , and 1 cup of raw spinach with a light vinaigrette,
  • cdelia12
    cdelia12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't even recall the last time we were over 500 calories for dinner. We usually stay pretty simple. Protein staples include tilapia (~120 cal), pork chops (160), chicken breast (140), and sirloin (300). Portion size is key, we keep them all around 5 ounces. We keep quite a bit of seasonings and marinades on hand to create different flavors.

Our side dish (during the week) nearly always consists of either steam fresh veggies or canned veggies. The steam fresh packets at the store even have some rice/mixed veggie varieties to pair up with a teriyaki fish or chicken for a asian style meal. Or you can go red potatoes or green beans with the steak for classic american combos. Those are just a couple of suggestions. Try to stay away from the packets that come 'sauced' unless they are still calorie friendly.

Most of the time, we're still far enough away from 500 cals, that we're able to enjoy an adult beverage with it!
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sainsbury's - British Turkey Breast Fillet Portions, 130 g 165 0 1 38
    Amoy Straight to Wok - Aromatic Stir Fry Black Bean Sauce, 60 g 47 9 1 1
    Mushrooms - Fresh, Stir-Fried, 1 cup 56 9 1 8
    Co-Op Healthy Living - Chinese Stir Fry Vegetables, 175 g

this is a delicious meal, a very tasty turkey and vegetable stir-fry with extra mushrooms, takes 10 mins to throw together and comes in at a whopping 329 calories.......you could even afford to throw some extra turkey or chicken in to make "Man vs Food" challenge size meal :laugh:
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    just going over my diary for the last little while I've done:

Spaghetti squash with chunky tomato sauce (used ground turkey - 349 calories for 2 servings of sauce and spaghetti, one 4oz serving of meat)

Grilled 4oz pork chop with black beans and cauliflower rice, also put half an avocado and tomato and salsa and cheese over the rice. 515 calories.

Chicken lettuce wraps with tomato, cucumber, avocado, cauliflower rice, black beans, and mango (I also did this lettuce wrap with ground turkey once) - 483calories.

Crock pot lentil soup with ground turkey, 424 calories.

grilled or pan-sauteed fish and veggies is always easy and always stays under, even if I want like 6oz of fish instead of 4oz.

Curry chicken over cauliflower rice, 288 calories, and then i have a salad with avocado on it which is around 200 calories.

Most of the time I stay under 500 pretty easily, even though I have half an avocado almost every day, lol. What makes it easier is avoiding heavy starches like rice, pasta, and bread, and limiting oil and butter, etc. It hurts, but it's worth it because the meals feel huge which is good when you're hungry after a long day.
  • pdh004
    pdh004 Posts: 5
    Options
    bump!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Two cups of spaghetti squash, a cup of broccoli, 6-8 oz of chicken. Throw it all on the skillet with some liquid aminos (soy sauce alternative) for a minute or so. Top with nutritional yeast. It's very cheesy and pasta-like. I love it. :P 300-400 calories
  • tilishamichelle
    tilishamichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat flank steak at breakfast, eggs, and 1/2 sara lee bagel with whipped cream cheese. I get 450 calories out of that. I find i am snacking less, not hungry at all. I am basically eating the rest of the day to get my calories in.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Add soup! I like Progresso veggie classics, but any soup with a clear or tomato base will work fine. Soup is very filling and very low calories. It can be high in sodium, so if you are watching your sodium intake, be careful with how much soup you eat.
  • chantabelle
    chantabelle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Steamed mixed vegetables and microwavable egg fried rice.
    Jacket potato and CousCous.
    Pork or Turkey minute steaks with boiled new potatos, sweetcorn, peas and carrots.
    These are my top three, very filling and around 500 calories. I usually have around 650 calories left or tea and any snacks during the evening as I tend to eat lightly at breakfast and lunch, nightime is my downfall, I am always hungry!!