Anyone want to share their favorite recipes for poultry?

Options
tari12340
tari12340 Posts: 55 Member
I know I would greatly appreciate it! I have a hubby and two daughters thare are getting tired of my norms..any help with fresh new ideas would be fantastic! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I can't take credit for this because I saw it in another MFP post, but they are fantastic and simple to make!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html
  • Jeepjenn2
    Jeepjenn2 Posts: 7
    Options
    very simple one!!

I take chicken breasts and slice them open. I stuff them with thinly sliced garlic and feta cheese.

I close them up with toothpicks and bake them at 425 until the juices run clear. (20 min or so)

You can even slice them up the next day and put the slices in a sandwich!!
  • tari12340
    Options
    very simple one!!

I take chicken breasts and slice them open. I stuff them with thinly sliced garlic and feta cheese.

I close them up with toothpicks and bake them at 425 until the juices run clear. (20 min or so)

OMG! That sounds fantastic and low cal!! Thanks so much!!
  • tari12340
    Options
    I can't take credit for this because I saw it in another MFP post, but they are fantastic and simple to make!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken-lettuce-wraps.html

This looks wonderful too! I may need to modify as I have trouble with spicy foods. For those that want to see the recipe here, I have attached it below:

Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1/2 cup chicken + veggies • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 3 pt
    Calories: 147.7 • Fat: 0.1 g • Carb: 5.2 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Protein: 24.9 g • Sugar: 1.7 g
    Sodium: 879 mg

Ingredients:

For the chicken:

24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 celery stalk
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 clove garlic
    16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank's)

For the wraps:

6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
    1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
    2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks

Directions:

In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours. Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken. To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lemon Garlic Chicken

(one of my 15 min dinners)
    Serve on rice is nice

in a microwaveable bowl with lid

put in

chicken breasts (how ever many you are cooking)
    3+ cloves garlic roughly chopped (add as many as you like)
    lemon juice to partially cover chicken (1/2 cup??)
    a little butter (a tablespoon??)

microwave 10-12 minutes until chicken is cooked.
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump...Yummy!!
  • tari12340
    Options
    very simple one!!

So...we had this for dinner, and everyone loved them. I think next time I may use panko for a crust on the chicken too... but thank you for the idea!! Nice and easy!!
  • CatyWebb
    CatyWebb Posts: 2
    Options
    I think the key to good poultry (and fish) is a meat thermometer that beeps right when it's done, so it's not overcooked. 161 for poultry white meat, and 140 for fish in the thickest part.

Poultry is such a blank slate, there's so much you can do. There's one where I take a chicken breast, but low fat cream cheese inside and roll it up and seal it with toothpicks, then on the outside I coat with Dijon mustard or brown mustard and then brown sugar (yeah I know, but not a lot sticks and it's yummy) and then pecans. If you don't like nuts you can easily skip this part. Put in a baking dish and cook until internal temp is 161. That's 350 for about..oh...20 min or so... and they're done. You can serve with brown rice and whatever veggies you like.

My roasted chicken I crank the oven up to 500 degrees, and while that's preheating, I coat the inside underneath the skin of a whole chicken with olive oil mixed with garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary and sometimes thyme. I put a few slices of lemon under the skin and stick a sprig of rosemary and a chopped up very small onion in the cavity. The cavity still has plenty of room to circulate air. Then I stick it in the oven at 500 for 30 min...it smokes, but I crank the fan and let it smoke away...and the outside gets this AWESOME deep, dark, golden skin and the meat gets yummy. After 30 min...and not more..or else the skin will burn, I turn it down to 350 until the chicken is done...internal temp of 161 in the breast meat. It's about 15 more min for a smaller chicken. I let it sit for 10 min while I set the table and clean up and then I cut the chicken. I don't eat too much of the skin but you're missing out if you don't eat any. Chicken is so low fat that a few pieces aren't going to kill ya.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love that website, tari! Thanks for sharing that!
  • kazzee2
    kazzee2 Posts: 2
    Options
    I often just chop up 2 or 3 skinless chicken breasts, marinate them ( make your own or use a sauce or powder mix) then fry the chicken pieces with some fry light spray ( i use olive oil as i only use about a tablespoonful) then just have it with a mixed salad and maybe some cous cous. Its quick and easy and a nice summer dish :)