How should I carry water for 10+ mi runs?

Options
Good afternoon everyone!
Just wondering which alternative is the best.
A belt? Is there one that doesn't bounce too much?
Arm band? Will that allow for enough water?
A vest? Is that only worth wearing on marathons?
Is water best? What about tea? Protein drink while running?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Get a Camelbak. Water only in those! Ick factor otherwise :smile: I know long distance runners need to refuel, but I'll leave that answer to the experienced runners.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Several friends use camelback hydration packs (they basically make a backpack that holds water and has a mouthpiece that clips to your shoulder) while hiking. They can be adjusted to fit pretty snug so I doubt they'd bounce a whole lot (certainly better than a belt with water bottles on it).

As far as the nature of the fluid, for a 10 mile run water is probably going to be OK, but if you are doing so in the heat it might not be a bad idea to have some electrolytes in the water. Personally, when going for very long (over an hour) bike rides in the heat, I'll mix about 1/4 Gatorade into my water. Not that anything I do is likely to subject me to water intoxication (a state where you rehydrate so much with pure water while sweating that you dilute your electrolytes too much), but better safe than sorry.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    PS: Good point on Camelbacks, anything other than water, and the eventual "ick" factor. If electrolytes are a concern, you can always put a gel pack in your pocket and have a quick 100-calorie, high-electrolyte "booster" if you start feeling tired or "off".
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use a nathan hand held. The strap that goes around your hand allows you to not actually hold onto it.

I have tried the belt and hated it and camelbacks have always seemed like a potential chafing issue. Also, due to the weather, it has been a shirtless kind of summer....and therefore more chafing possiblities and weird sunburns!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I have a Camelbak but think it would be annoying on runs. I've seen runners with belts that hold square-ish water bottles.

I know people who take their car out and hide water along their course before a run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I prefer a fuel belt. I loathe to have anything in my hands when I'm running. I've never considered a camelback, because I can't think of any run I have ever done (or am likely to do in the future) that will require me to have 60 to 100 ounces of fluid. My belt has four 10 ounce bottles and that is more than enough for a 22 mile run.

Honestly, for a 10 mile run, I don't even bother with water. It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run. I don't bother with any fluids until I get to about 16 miles, which for me is about 2.5 hours.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I was going to mention that too, about hydrating beforehand means carrying less or none. Are there stores along your course? You could buy water along the way, as needed.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I prefer a fuel belt. I loathe to have anything in my hands when I'm running. I've never considered a camelback, because I can't think of any run I have ever done (or am likely to do in the future) that will require me to have 60 to 100 ounces of fluid. My belt has four 10 ounce bottles and that is more than enough for a 22 mile run.

Honestly, for a 10 mile run, I don't even bother with water. It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run. I don't bother with any fluids until I get to about 16 miles, which for me is about 2.5 hours.

^^^^^^^ this.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I ran 12.5 yesterday without any water. If you hydrate well enough normally, then you should be fine, depending on the weather. I will be getting a running/fuel belt if I get much past the half distance.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My friends who do the half/full marathons usually use a hydration pack. I don't run that long, but if it's less than 12 miles, as long as I'm properly hydrated from the days leading up, I'm fine without water until afterward
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have 2 fuel belts. One is great, the other is terrible. The terrible one is a basic belt... lots of elastic, holds a few gels and a race bib. I bought the flasks separately to add to the belt. The elastic makes it impossible to get tight enough and it bounces all over the place. Terrible. The other is an actual hydration belt and works GREAT. No elastic at all so make sure you get the right size.

This is the one I have that I like: Fuel Belt Revenge 2.0. I believe it comes in a 4 flask version too.
    http://www.fuelbelt.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1341/.f?category=2865
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use a fuel belt, don't like the camel back while running.
    Most of the time I pre hydrate and don't carry anything
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Get a Camelbak. Water only in those! Ick factor otherwise :smile: I know long distance runners need to refuel, but I'll leave that answer to the experienced runners.

As long as you rinse it out when you are done, there's no reason you can't put gatorade or other fluids in a pack.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I just got a Nathans back back. I only got one run with it, but it worked great, no chafing or hand cramps from holding a bottle anymore.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use a belt and bring gatorade. I only drink from it when it's crazy hot or after my run. I also run a on trail that has drinking fountains every couple of miles which is very nice. I always have my belt on because I run with my dogs and I attach their leash to the belt so I'm hands free. I also attach a collapsible water dish to the belt for my dogs. Another reason to be thankful for the fountains.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have both a camelback and a water belt that holds 2 bottles.

I used the camelback when in Disney 2 years ago and found it rather bothersome - I just used the water belt on my half marathon and I loved it. It is really all about finding the right spot on the hips to have it sit and then pull the straps snug so it doesn't bounce much at all.
  • mayday529
    mayday529 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that many of you don't hydrate during a run when it's often recommended to hydrate during exercise particularly if it's hot. If you can lose a quart of water per hour to sweating, how can you assume performance is not being affected for exercise of longer than 1 hour?
  • jacksonpt
    Options

He brings up a good point... hydrating prior to the run can go a long way towards negating the need for fluids during a run. Most people are good for at least 90 minutes before they need anything (fluids or cals), but ultimately you have to know your body.

Also, if you're talking about racing, be sure to look into aid stations. Some races have aid stations every mile which, if taken advantage of, can really reduce the need for onboard water.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    I run in a small town and or on the country roads.. I always drive my run first and put one or two bottles.. (basically hid them in the bushes).. But I only did that on super hot days.. any normal everyday ok weather.. I just hydrated before and after the run! Good Luck!