HRM - Heart Rate Monitors

Options

Replies

• mdidelot
    mdidelot Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi - I just bought the Polar ft4 and I LOVE IT!!!! Has watch and chest strap that is very comfortable and the watch is so easy to use. I was shocked at my calorie readings. Exercises I was doing and "thinking" I burned a lot of calories - not always so.... I have used it in kickboxing class, running, weight training and yoga. Its a great way to challenge yourself throughout the day to hit a certain calorie burn. Bought mine at Sports Authority w/ the 2 year replacement - after a coupon I had it was under $100 for the whole thing.

I would highly recommend this model unless you are looking for GPS features. For basic HR and calorie burns this is perfect!
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chi, There is a button you push to start the monitor. You can also pause it and restart if you take a break or go from one class to another. Normally it doesn't start counting calories burned until you reach you lower limits of activity for your heart rate.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone!! Looks like a Polar one from Amazon!!
    Have a great day :flowerforyou:
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4, and love it. It's simple to use, and does the job that I want. I also like that you can use it in the pool.

I was thinking about getting the FT4 too, but I did not know you could use it in the pool. That is great info.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft7 and adore it. <3
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT7 this weekend. $75 on http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, it's on the cheaper end of HRMs and is really easy to use.
  • AmberElena
    AmberElena Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use the POLAR HRM & Watch - Bought it at Best Buy! I love it. You can see the big difference between what the cardio machines tell you & what the HRM tells you! Pretty eye opening.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4, and love it. It's simple to use, and does the job that I want. I also like that you can use it in the pool.

I was thinking about getting the FT4 too, but I did not know you could use it in the pool. That is great info.

This is why I bought a polar. I found out you can use it in a pool and that's a majority of the exercise that I do.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

agreed.
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    Any of you that use the Polar FT4 in the pool...have you had to replace your battery yet? I heard from several people that once you replace the battery, it's no longer waterproof. Any truth to that?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I also got the Polar FT4 and also got it cheaper through Amazon. Haven't had it long, but loving it so far. I have heard, though, that once you get the battery replaced in the watch, that it's no longer water resistant.

ditto on the FT4; if you have Polar replace the battery, they will stand behind the 2 year guarantee on the overall device. They replace the sealing ring to maintain water resistance.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started with a Polar FT7 and loved it. As I got more into running, I started to look at GPS devices. I now have a Garmin Forerunner 610. It's way more watch than I'll likely ever use but I love it. I can track my whole workout with that one device - heart rate, pace, location. Even better, I can set it up any way I want to do pretty much any type of training I'm likely to do.

Then I switch it to cycle mode to track my commute but that's more for fun. I just want to know how fast I get on the big hill (usually somewhere around 50kph or 30mph).

I love working out with an HRM. It gives me a good idea of my overall exertion and when I should ease off (or push a little harder). One other benefit is that it gives me a pretty good idea of my improving fitness. It felt great when I got to the point where I had to run to get my heart rate to where it used to go during a not so fast walk.
  • ColaSoBless
    Options
    I have Polar FT7 I purchased it off of Amazon for about $65, can I tell you I Love it! When you guesstimate your calories burned and then compare them to the numbers on the Hrm, it's a total difference in the numbers. All the best in your choosing ')
  • I have a polar ft 80 that I think I will really like BUT when I had to send it in for exchange (first was lemon I think), I bought a sportsline from Walmart, the $50 model with chest strap for interim and I like it as well. The ft80 has more bells and whistles but for just monitoring heart rate and telling calories burned, the sportsline is fine and a bit less expensive.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Polar, Garmin using Firstbeat algorithms, or Suunto.

http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors

For purpose of calorie burn estimates, those are the ones with most chance of accuracy, especially if you enter in your stats.

Cheaper Polar's may not allow enough entry changes for that. But as male, you luck out, the defaults are more accurate for us anyway.

For purposes of training, like zone alarms, audible, stat's, interval setup's, ect, go by price and features available.
    Polar's you have to get expensive for those things. Garmin's start out more expensive but all include those things, Suunto's have some variety.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For all the women, you can get your Polar's setup to be more accurate, because the defaults leave much to be desired for your calorie burn estimates.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study
  • jade9008
    jade9008 Posts: 4
    Options
    I use the Suunto M4 with a chest strap - I love it!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Polar FT7 this weekend. $75 on http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

^^This!

Just ordered mine as well. Excited about getting and using it.