Whey Protein instead of Shakes? Slimfast/vi/etc

Options
I am consdering doing a liquid diet, 2 meals a day replaced with shakes that are high in protein and nutrients. I am, however, about 560 pounds. I am targeting about 2200-2500 calories a day for a manageable weight loss without feeling like I'm dying and/or risking any adverse side effects.

I would like to mix my own shakes, because as it is right now to reach my calorie goals I'm going to need several shakes a day at the 190 printed on the bottles. I would also like to avoid all of the corn syrup and such that are in the prepackaged shakes and would rather instead mix my own with fresh fruits at home for flavor, taste, and extra nutrition.

My question is, given my two major shopping locale's are walmart and sam's club, can anyone recommend a tasty, nutrient rich, filling whey protein or shake mix? Any help would be very appreciated.

-boogie

Replies

• aliOop18
    aliOop18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The protein powder that I typically buy is available at Wal-Mart in my area. I have used Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. And I have also used Six Star Pro Nutrition - Professional Strength Whey Protein Plus, Elite Series. I have only used the Vanilla & Chocolate varieties but I know there are other flavors available. In general, I prefer the taste of vanilla protein powder to chocolate. However, I think it really is personal preference. I like to add fresh berries to my vanilla shakes. When I use the chocolate, I use peanut butter and/or bananas. I think that you'll find you can actually have a pretty satisfying shake depending on what you blend in with it. My suggestion would be to also blend in a handful of fresh spinach or kale, you will not taste it and you get all the nutritional benefits. Also, consider what liquid you want to use. I used to use skim milk when I first started. Water is fine too. I currently use Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk.

And just as a suggestion, log all food and beverages & consider making your food log viewable to friends on MFP. I've found it to be a really good tool, helps me to stay accountable and also to learn about my own habits and how I can change them.

Most importantly, don't give up. There is a ton of support on here and you can do this!
  • boogie2988
    Options
    Thank you very much for the recommendations! I was thinking of starting with skim milk as its the cheapest and I'm a cheapass :p I do also plan to get some berries and things to mix into the concoctions. I really appreciate the advice and I'll check out the mix you suggested. I also think a spoon full of peanutbutter in a chocolate mix sounds dreamy.

I also will take your suggestion of adding in some kale and/or spinach. I already LOVE spinach and plan to have some on hand for when i'm ready to reintroduce solid food, so mixing it in sounds like a no brainer. thanks!

I will definately be logging this with MFP of course. can't wait to see the results at the end of each day. MFP has helped me greatly in the past, though I have gained it back time and time again because I stopped logging. Hoping this kickstart of a liquid diet will set me moving in the right direction!
  • aliOop18
    aliOop18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to help. Also, if you end up feeling like the liquid thing is too much, don't throw in the towel. Maybe by then you can cut it down to just a breakfast shake. I think the main thing that has worked for me in the past is to remember not to throw in the towel...especially if I "screw up" on a day and eat something I shouldn't have. I try to remember that each meal is an opportunity to get back on track.

The peanut butter & chocolate combo is definitely a favorite for me. I am just careful to make sure I measure, otherwise, I get a little generous with the PB. haha

I too can be a cheapass, that's actually why I ended up going with the almond milk. Skim milk is definitely cheaper, but it will also spoil earlier. I've found that I can keep a container of almond milk, far longer than regular milk. Just a thought. :-)
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Try Unjury. It's a very very good medical quality whey protein powder that actually tastes great. Classic chocolate and vanilla are my favorites. 20 grams of protein per scoop. It was designed for and is used consistently for the bariatric sugerical market. The protein can be orderded on line at their site, and you can do auto ship which does give a discount. I believe the site is www.unjury.com. Best tasting protein powder I have ever had, no aftertaste at all.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Being allergic to soy, for whey protein I was using Pure Protein (they have powder, premade shakes, and bars) and I always got it at Walmart. I 'm currently using Adkins premade shakes which I also buy at Walmart since they stopped carrying the flavors of Pure Protein that does not contain wheat (another allergy)
  • adanders1
    Options
    I have been using the EAS Whey Protien regen for after my workouts. It advised to mix two scoops with 1 cup of your liquid. I have been putting 1 1/2 cups of skim milk in to thin it out a bit and make it more drinkable.

My question is, adding that extra 1/2 cup of skim milk, does that in any way diminish the affect of the protein by dilluting it at all?

Thanks
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    After any hard workout I always down a glass of the Professional Strength Strawberry whey protein. My brother who lifts will also throw a few spoonfuls in his smoothies. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it but it's not bad :D Liquids can be very filling if they have lots of nutrients, just make sure you get some grains down or something. Eat some toast. Whole wheat always makes me feel full for awhile, in case water can't do it.
  • careerjobster
    Options
    GNC whey protein vanila flavor is very tasty:smile:
  • sebrantley25
    Options
    I'm using the SixStar Protein Plus. I've tried SlimFast, Special K, Ensure Protein, Myoplex, Unjury and various other brands. For the money to nutrition value, the SixStar is best. Of the others, Unjury tasted best but was far too expensive. All the others are much more expensive per serving than SixStar, which is available at just about any grocery store for less than $20 per container. I wish you luck on your journey. I know it won't be easy. I would say to stay away from soy based proteins as they can cause your body to react the same as it would to estrogen. See this link: http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
  • sebrantley25
    Options
    I have been using the EAS Whey Protien regen for after my workouts. It advised to mix two scoops with 1 cup of your liquid. I have been putting 1 1/2 cups of skim milk in to thin it out a bit and make it more drinkable.

My question is, adding that extra 1/2 cup of skim milk, does that in any way diminish the affect of the protein by dilluting it at all?

@adanders1 - Protein is protein. No matter how much you dilute it, your body will still use all it can with each serving. Remember, that you can only use so much of any one nutrient and the rest just flows out as waste. This is why many people who add the super-duper "sport vitamins" to their diets see a change in urine color/odor and fecal consistency/color/odor. By taking in too much protein versus your activity needs, you could also see a change in body odor.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try PB2 in your shakes instead of peanut butter. It has 85% less fat calories. It is an all natural product made from peanuts. Search it on the web. I also agree the Body Fortress products taste good, have lots of protein and are cheap compared to other protein powders.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I use Sprout's soy protein since I am lactose intolerant and a little afraid to try ones that contain lactose (I never know how my body will take it). It is pretty much flavorless. I use unsweetened almond milk (depending on the brand 35-40 calories per cup) as my mixer. I have this for breakfast or after a workout. Keeps me pretty full.