How can someone lose the last 10 lbs?

Options
Hi Everyone -- I was wondering if anyone had a secret of how to lose the last 10 lbs to get to your goal weight?

I work out 3-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes and I try to mix up the cardio workouts. I eat my calories, but still cannot seem to lose the last 10 lbs I need to. I recently started to mix in lifting weights (the machines) with my cardio and I hope that will trigger something.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Sounds stupid this....But put in your mind you wanna lose another 20lbs...The old placebo effect kicks in...I always find the last few pounds are harder to lose...Try it..It might just suprise you.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done losing my last 10 pounds! I've been holding onto them for about a year now.

I don't focus on cardio. I do like to run: 1 long run (2-3 miles) and a few short runs with walks after them (1 mile run then a 2-3 mile walk or sprints and then a long walk afterwards) all of that each week. When I'm at the gym I only do machines, benches, and free weights (maybe walk uphill on the treadmill fast 3.5-4.0mph to get my heart rate up). Once my heart rate is up at the gym, I just try to keep it there. I move from one machine to another pretty quickly, trying NOT to rest more than 60 seconds in between. I give myself enough of a rest so that I don't throw up or pass out. It's kind of like circuit training with weights/machines. I do low-medium reps and high weight, as much weight as I can do without my muscles shaking too much.
    It may sound "too extreme" but I think we sometimes forget what our bodies are capable of and what they are meant for. How many times do we really push ourselves when working in the yard, lifting furniture, or doing something that tests our body's limit? We don't and our body really is designed to be pushed a lot more than we (we= modern human) are pushing it.

My diet has had the most influence in getting the last 10 off. I don't eat any grains or dairy or legumes (peanuts/beans). For me, I really noticed a difference a week after I cut these foods out of my diet. I lost any "stomach pouch" and a solid 5 pounds- in the first week! I try to incorporate other successful diet tips like drink lots of water, get lots of sleep, watch my portions, don't eat within 3 hours of bed time (this was hard at first, but now i'm used to it), don't reward myself with unhealthy food but rather healthy meals, and include 2 tbsp of a healthy oil into my food each day like olive oil, coconut oil,etc (that last tip was from weight watchers.)

I read an article in a health/fitness magazine a few months ago from a mom that's also been a runner all her life who was also in the "last 10 pounds" trap. She said she also got them off from cutting carbs and running. I've heard this quite a lot from people trying to get the last 10 off.

This works for me. It may not work for everyone, but I hope you find what will work for you!
    Good Luck!

ps. I reached my goal this morning!
  • Shel1221
    Shel1221 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm almost done losing my last 10 pounds! I've been holding onto them for about a year now.

I don't focus on cardio. I do like to run: 1 long run (2-3 miles) and a few short runs with walks after them (1 mile run then a 2-3 mile walk or sprints and then a long walk afterwards) all of that each week. When I'm at the gym I only do machines, benches, and free weights (maybe walk uphill on the treadmill fast 3.5-4.0mph to get my heart rate up). Once my heart rate is up at the gym, I just try to keep it there. I move from one machine to another pretty quickly, trying NOT to rest more than 60 seconds in between. I give myself enough of a rest so that I don't throw up or pass out. It's kind of like circuit training with weights/machines. I do low-medium reps and high weight, as much weight as I can do without my muscles shaking too much.
    It may sound "too extreme" but I think we sometimes forget what our bodies are capable of and what they are meant for. How many times do we really push ourselves when working in the yard, lifting furniture, or doing something that tests our body's limit? We don't and our body really is designed to be pushed a lot more than we (we= modern human) are pushing it.

My diet has had the most influence in getting the last 10 off. I don't eat any grains or dairy or legumes (peanuts/beans). For me, I really noticed a difference a week after I cut these foods out of my diet. I lost any "stomach pouch" and a solid 5 pounds- in the first week! I try to incorporate other successful diet tips like drink lots of water, get lots of sleep, watch my portions, don't eat within 3 hours of bed time (this was hard at first, but now i'm used to it), don't reward myself with unhealthy food but rather healthy meals, and include 2 tbsp of a healthy oil into my food each day like olive oil, coconut oil,etc (that last tip was from weight watchers.)

I read an article in a health/fitness magazine a few months ago from a mom that's also been a runner all her life who was also in the "last 10 pounds" trap. She said she also got them off from cutting carbs and running. I've heard this quite a lot from people trying to get the last 10 off.

This works for me. It may not work for everyone, but I hope you find what will work for you!
    Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the post. I will definitely try to incorporate everything you said. I love my breads and pastas, so I just have to try and cut them out or eat a lot less than I do of them. I'll mix it up at the gym too. I try to now, but I have to continue to think of new things to do!

Congratulations on reaching your goal!! That definitely causes for a celebration!!!
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the post. I will definitely try to incorporate everything you said. I love my breads and pastas, so I just have to try and cut them out or eat a lot less than I do of them. I'll mix it up at the gym too. I try to now, but I have to continue to think of new things to do!

Congratulations on reaching your goal!! That definitely causes for a celebration!!!

Thank you and don't give up! You WILL find what works and you can get there!
  • Shyloh07
    Shyloh07 Posts: 18
    Options
    bump