Healthiest dark chocolate?

Options
ctooch99
ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
So I am trying to slowly, but surely change from buying big commercial food brands, to smaller brands with healthier ingredients. I have read bout the health benefits of eating dark chocolate as a snack and up to this point I have been eating Hershey's Special Dark (the small bars). I figured they were not too bad (They are not huge in calories or fat), but then I changed my diary settings over to track sugar - and Hello! These bars are LOADED with sugar... I am surprised because they are not even that sweet.

Can anyone recommend a brand of dark chocolate that does not have a ton of sugar that can be easily found in stores?

Thanks!

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yum Dark Chocolate! I like Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate. I live in smalltown-middle-America and I find it at my local grocery store in the candy aisle. Look for something 70% or more cocoa. Still going to be fat calories and sugars, but it is a better option. :)
  • JulieisaC
    JulieisaC Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Order some raw unsweetened cacao online and make your own! It's so much cheaper than springing for anything in the health food stores, plus helps a lot with portion and ingredients control. You'd be amazed at how much a couple figs, a tablespoon of unsweetened coconut, and a couple tablespoons of cacao tastes like the richest brownie you've ever had, but from much better sources of natural sugars and fats...www.nuts.com is a good place to buy...
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I like Lindt 85%. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar there is.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE sugar-free Coco Polo dark chocolate bars with whole almonds. They are sweetened with stevia and are high-fiber due to the addition of inulin. Absolutely no maltitol that can have a laxative effect. These are creamy, and delicious.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE sugar-free Coco Polo dark chocolate bars with whole almonds. They are sweetened with stevia and are high-fiber due to the addition of inulin. Absolutely no maltitol that can have a laxative effect. These are creamy, and delicious.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Julie do you have a site or a recipe for making it yourself? I would be game for giving that a try! I keep it in the frig anyway...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I just buy TerrAmazon Organic Cacao powder at Whole Foods and make my own protein brownies with it. 1 oz has: 110 calories; 2g fat; 16g carbs; 10g fiber; 0g sugar; 8g protein. However, I probably use 1 oz to make 8 4x2 inch brownies. Its a very rich chocolate taste so you do not need to use a lot when making snacks.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Go check out 'enjoy life' chocolate bars. I think that was the brand anyways... The dark chocolate bar has about 4-5 ingredients and the stats aren't bad. Still tastes just as amazing as all other dark chocolate bars though.
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use raw organic unsweetened cocao nibs imported from Columbia. (Amazon.com)

They are good for shakes, salads, protein bars, etc.

A lot of people can't handle the taste of raw unprocessed cocao, I can eat it by the handful, ha ha.
  • waveindigo
    waveindigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I second the Lindt 85% suggestion.
    It's the lowest sugar I've found without resorting to maltitol
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I can't recall the brand right now but I have had vegan dairy free chocolate that is super good. It was nice and dark. Kind of tasted like coffee.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fond of Lindt dark chocolate - it is really smooth and delicious and very rich so it is hard to eat too much of it.

Or, I bought a great raw chocolate bar a while ago - I think the brand was Concious Chocolate (Aussie company) and it was seriously delicious, though very pricey.

Or, for those lucky people who live in Adelaide (Australia), it's hard to go past Haighs.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Here you go.

2 tablespoons full-fat, no water butter or coconut oil
    4 tablespoons cocoa powder
    Sweetener to taste

Microwave the butter/oil until melted. Add cocoa powder, stir until thick. Add sweetener until dissolved. Use as a drizzle sauce, pour into a mould and freeze, or whatever creative idea you can think of! It's chocolate!
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like Lindt 85%. The darker the chocolate, the less sugar there is.

^this!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I eat one square of Lindt 90% cocoa daily. It's the lowest in sugar I can find without getting ones with artificial sweeteners.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions - I have a better idea of what to look for now! Kinda shocked at how expensive some of these better dark chocolates are, but probably worth the cost.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Yum Dark Chocolate! I like Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate. I live in smalltown-middle-America and I find it at my local grocery store in the candy aisle. Look for something 70% or more cocoa. Still going to be fat calories and sugars, but it is a better option. :)

Another vote for Green & Black Organic Dark Chocolate! So good...
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options

I found Green & Black to be really waxy feeling, and lacking flavor.

*Just my 2 cents though.* :flowerforyou:
  • cbaughman07
    cbaughman07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the endangered species chocolate. over 30 kinds and really good www.chocolatebar.com/ they are in the organic section of the grocery store here even though it doesn't show it on the store locator. Really delicious concoctions and flavors :D
  • superhotsuperbabe
    Options
    95% Lindt -where do you buy this?.:flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I found Green & Black to be really waxy feeling, and lacking flavor.

*Just my 2 cents though.* :flowerforyou:

Yeah, it's not my favourite either, I find that LIndt has a better texture.
    But, it's not as bad as Whittakers dark chocolate - that stuff is nasty!