How should I carry water for 10+ mi runs?

Options

Replies

• shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i have a 'Magic' 70 oz Camelbak and a 14oz hot pink fuel belt. I use them both frequently on my long runs. i just pick the one that i feel like, or the one that suits the weather best. i'll take the camelbak especially if i want to carry some extra food or my kindle with me. running is super meditative me time, and sometimes i just don't want it to end, so if i have a book with me i can stop and read and stretch if i'm in the mood. i love my saturday long runs!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    For me personally, if I am running an hour or less I don't carry any water, unless like this past weekend it was extremly hot and I felt that I needed it. For that I used my amphipod which has 1 bottle that lies horizontally in the lumbar area, does not bounce at all. I also do not drink electrolyte replacements normally. Post run, every run short or long, I drink a chocolate milk and sometimes have a banana. I do not like to hold anything in my hands while running. If I am running an actual race, I don't bring anything! that is what the water stations are for. What is important is that you are hydrated pre-run, and I am not talking about hydrating the morning of, you really should work on being in a constant state of good hydration.
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you w/ your training! I am a marathoner who lives in the midwest. So summer training is very hot & humid. For me, hydration is a must even for my short runs. I use the Amphipod hydration belt. It has a pouch that holds the bottle in place. And it has a zippered area on the front of the pouch to hold my phone & keys. Works well for me! It's comfortable & doesn't bounce.

Are you eating/drinking during your run? Gatorade & Gu are my friends for long runs.
  • dthurney
    dthurney Posts: 2
    Options
    You might also consider "stashing". Find a place of your choice on your route to leave a water bottle. You may have to hide it or you may have a convenient mailbox, or other more friendly place to leave it until you get back to it. Bonus is that it provides an incentive to get to that place on your run.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I prefer a fuel belt. I loathe to have anything in my hands when I'm running. I've never considered a camelback, because I can't think of any run I have ever done (or am likely to do in the future) that will require me to have 60 to 100 ounces of fluid. My belt has four 10 ounce bottles and that is more than enough for a 22 mile run.

Honestly, for a 10 mile run, I don't even bother with water. It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run. I don't bother with any fluids until I get to about 16 miles, which for me is about 2.5 hours.

^^^^^^^ this.

This is WRONG.

Frst you dont know what another runner needs or doesnt need on a 10 mile run. Second let me first state Ive never done anything over 8 miles but I know the other day when I did 4.5 in 96 deg and 92 humidity I NEEDED water. I was glad I had brought my 16oz bottle of water with me. Before I was finished I had emptied my bottle. I will easily sweat out 2+lbs from a run start to finish. You need to replace everything you lose. In severe heat like that if you tell someone not to take water on a 10 mile run you could kill them.

No, it's not wrong. You didn't NEED the water, you wanted it. You can safely lose 5% of your body weight in sweat. You don't NEED to replace everything you lose. That's another fallacy. Kill them? Seriously?

Do some research before you call somebody out.

Actually no...Not every one functions the same. so you dont know.... Im not saying it cant be done Im saying you would be unsafe to offer that kind of advice to someone you dont know. You dont know what kind of shape this person is in. you dont know how often they run. How much water they normally drink how much they sweat. how hot it will be? You dont know any of those things. To matter of factly state a person doesnt need water or wont die is gross negligence on your part.

I could link to hundreds of news articles about young football players dieing in the severe heat and I gaurantee you those boys aren't running 10 milers. Or tons of Marathon trainers who have collapsed and been found unconcious on the sides of roads during training runs because they thought they didnt need the water. You are assuming an awful lot based on little to no facts.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    water drops are great....along your route place water at 3ish mile intervals....so bring 1 bottle with you and then drop at 3 miles, 6 miles and maybe 9 miles??? hide the water in bushes (partially freeze the bottles so they can "melt" while you on your run)....
    denise
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    I live in Alabama, where it can get 100+ in the summer, so hydration is a must, even on short runs. I hate carrying water though, so I just make my routes go by gas stations or stores every couple of miles so I can run in, get a drink from the fountain and pee if I need to. If the run is really long (16 miles or more) I will even set up a water stop with a cooler and some snacks somewhere along the route. This way I can stay hydrated without carrying anything.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you're not super into belts, I bought myself a canteen with a strap for about $10 at an army surplus store. It sticks close to my body and doesn't really jiggle, and holds a pretty large amount of water. I think the one I have is close to 4 8oz glasses worth. If you can afford a Camelbak though, that would probably be best in the long run for you.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I ran 12.5 yesterday without any water. If you hydrate well enough normally, then you should be fine, depending on the weather. I will be getting a running/fuel belt if I get much past the half distance.

I think this works for some and not for others. I drink *loads* of water through the course of the day, but out running I need a lot too. I really can't manage without it.

For the OP - I carry a donut shaped bottle, which is easy to carry. I do have a water belt too, but I find the little bottles annoying...

Using a figure of 8 route, and planting bottles on the way has been suggested to me before. I haven't tried this, but it sounds sensible if it's an option.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Actually no...Not every one functions the same. so you dont know.... Im not saying it cant be done Im saying you would be unsafe to offer that kind of advice to someone you dont know. You dont know what kind of shape this person is in. you dont know how often they run. How much water they normally drink how much they sweat. how hot it will be? You dont know any of those things. To matter of factly state a person doesnt need water or wont die is gross negligence on your part.

I could link to hundreds of news articles about young football players dieing in the severe heat and I gaurantee you those boys aren't running 10 milers. Or tons of Marathon trainers who have collapsed and been found unconcious on the sides of roads during training runs because they thought they didnt need the water. You are assuming an awful lot based on little to no facts.
    I have to agree with this. The OP already stated that she had to be "rescued" because she got dehydrated on a run. It's irresponsible to assume someone doesn't need water.

We've had at least 4 heat related deaths in Arizona this year. All were people from out of the area who thought they could go hiking, or work construction, in the 100+ degree heat without much water. None of them were running any distance, let alone 10 miles. The simple fact is, severe dehydration kills. Even moderate dehydration affects athletic performance. Better to have water along and not need it than the reverse.
  • pettrypartyof4
    Options
    I really love my little amphipod that slips onto the side of my shorts with a clip. I think it's 8 oz. Everyone is different, but I find if I am hydrated really well, I only need a lil gatorade mixed with water (or whatever refueling drink you like) after about an hour being out there. Everyone's body is different, you should try out different things. You may find yourself shedding that camelpak 5 miles in from irritation...or that a water bottle in your hand causes your shoulder to feel funny...who knows, but try it all out and see what's best for you! I like the idea of "water drops" too, but most of my run area is not accessible by vehicle. But, that's a good option if you don't wanna haul it around while on foot. =) best of luck to you!
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    camelbak for training and only water and dont carry anything when doing the marathon just gels etc
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I could link to hundreds of news articles about young football players dieing in the severe heat and I garutee you those boys aare running 10 milers. Or tons of Marathon trainers who have collapsed and been found unconcious on the sides of roads during training runs because they thought they didnt need the water. You are assuming aan awful lot based on little to no facts.

Here is what I stated, and I'll stand behind it.
    It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run.

Your examples of football players doesn't compare. Those deaths are not because of dehydration, they are because of heat exhaustion where the body temperatures rise to dangerous levels. Being properly hydrated will not alleviate the possibility of heat exhaustion but it can help, however; heat exhaustion can still occur in properly hydrated individuals. The recommendation of frequent water breaks is so that there is a break in the physical activity to allow the body temperatures to return to more normal levels. I think you'll find that many school districts are required to cancel practice or bring them indoors under extreme conditions.

ETA: I never told the OP "YOU don't need water. Go run without it." I related my experience and made a statement about the physiological requirement for water on a run of that length based on research that I have read in more than one source. Granted, there has to be some common sense too. If the temperatures are in the 90+ range and humid, you have to adjust. I know what my sweat rate is from calculating it, so I know when I will lose more than 5% of my body weight in sweat and I plan accordingly. I don't think I really need to state "This is what works for me, but it might not work for you." I assume everyone here is intelligent enough to understand that.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Carsonruns, I know you know you're stuff, but my personal experience doesn't chime with your view. I get sick and faint if I don't hydrate in a run. As I mentioned on the previous page, I drink a *lot* of water, every day. Several litres. But I still really can't cope beyond six miles without some water. I know that there's a basic physiological 'truth' in what you're saying, but nonetheless, I suspect there's a *lot* of individual difference.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

I could link to hundreds of news articles about young football players dieing in the severe heat and I garutee you those boys aare running 10 milers. Or tons of Marathon trainers who have collapsed and been found unconcious on the sides of roads during training runs because they thought they didnt need the water. You are assuming aan awful lot based on little to no facts.

It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run.

Your examples of football players doesn't compare. Those deaths are not because of dehydration, they are because of heat exhaustion where the body temperatures rise to dangerous levels. Being properly hydrated will not alleviate the possibility of heat exhaustion but it can help, however; heat exhaustion can still occur in properly hydrated individuals. The recommendation of frequent water breaks is so that there is a break in the physical activity to allow the body temperatures to return to more normal levels. I think you'll find that many school districts are required to cancel practice or bring them indoors under extreme conditions.

ETA: I never told the OP "YOU don't need water. Go run without it." I related my experience and made a statement about the physiological requirement for water on a run of that length based on research that I have read in more than one source. Granted, there has to be some common sense too. If the temperatures are in the 90+ range and humid, you have to adjust. I know what my sweat rate is from calculating it, so I know when I will lose more than 5% of my body weight in sweat and I plan accordingly. I don't think I really need to state "This is what works for me, but it might not work for you." I assume everyone here is intelligent enough to understand that.

You told me I didnt need it...
    No, it's not wrong. You didn't NEED the water, you wanted it. You can safely lose 5% of your body weight in sweat. You don't NEED to replace everything you lose. That's another fallacy. Kill them? Seriously?

• CarsonRuns
    Options

You told me I didnt need it...

Yeah, you didn't. You lost 2 lbs in sweat. Even if you are a wiry 100 lbs, that's still only 2% of your body weight. On that run, based on the information you provided, your body did not need water to survive. It didn't even need it to perform at its highest capacity.

ETA: grammar
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!
    Just wondering which alternative is the best.
    A belt? Is there one that doesn't bounce too much?
    Arm band? Will that allow for enough water?
    A vest? Is that only worth wearing on marathons?
    Is water best? What about tea? Protein drink while running?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'll let you know what I do, for what it's worth...

I prefer to use a Fuel Belt on longer runs; I wear it for runs of 8-9 miles or longer. Mine is from Nathan; it has 4 bottles on it, which I fill with water. For runs longer than ~10 miles, I also bring Gu or Honey Stinger gels to replenish carbs (which I believe is more important during longer runs than a protein drink, since you're looking for quick access energy; save the protein for post-race, when a 4:1 carb:protein ratio is desirable according to some recent literature... chocolate milk generally fits this bill, though I use Hammer Recoverite).

I prefer the Nathan Fuel Belt to a Camelbak or handheld water bottle; it's just a case of personal preference. Mine stays very snug & doesn't bounce... on longer runs (say, 15-20 miles), I wear the Fuel Belt & bring disposable water bottles with me, which I throw away along the course or carry home. I *hate* carrying anything in my hand, and have never run with a Camelbak, though it seems like it would annoy me to have something on my back like that.

Again, recent research that I have read (there was a recent article in Runner's World, I believe) suggests that, not surprisingly, you should use thirst as your best indicator of when to drink during a run. I like to stay ahead of any chance of dehydration, so basically plan on drinking 8 oz of water every 3 miles (which is roughly when the rest stops are on a typical race course, give or take).

Others have mentioned this already and it's sooooo true - the most important thing you can do is just ensure you're constantly hydrated all the time so that you're good to go when you head out the door for your run. It make an enormous difference for me; you'll know you're well hydrated when your urine is a light lemonade colour.

Hope this helps & happy running! :flowerforyou:

ETA: During a marathon (or any race, for that matter), I don't bring any water with me... I bring gels & rely on the water stations for hydration, which I map out in advance so I know which ones I'll stop at (again, targeting every 3 miles or so).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I prefer a fuel belt. I loathe to have anything in my hands when I'm running. I've never considered a camelback, because I can't think of any run I have ever done (or am likely to do in the future) that will require me to have 60 to 100 ounces of fluid. My belt has four 10 ounce bottles and that is more than enough for a 22 mile run.

Honestly, for a 10 mile run, I don't even bother with water. It's not necessary, physiologically, if you are properly hydrated prior to the run. I don't bother with any fluids until I get to about 16 miles, which for me is about 2.5 hours.

^^^^^^^ this.

This is WRONG.

Frst you dont know what another runner needs or doesnt need on a 10 mile run. Second let me first state Ive never done anything over 8 miles but I know the other day when I did 4.5 in 90 deg and 92 humidity I NEEDED water. I was glad I had brought my 16oz bottle of water with me. Before I was finished I had emptied my bottle. I will easily sweat out 2+lbs from a run start to finish. You need to replace everything you lose. In severe heat like that if you tell someone not to take water on a 10 mile run you could kill them.

If the runner has been practicing proper hydration leading up to the run a 10 mile / 16km run is highly unlikely to kill them or cause any ill effects. The worst case scenario would be mild dehydration which may result in a performance degradation but is unlikely to pose an all out health risk. (Your example of sweating out 2lbs of water would only represent 2% of the body weight of a 100lb person - well below any danger levels, last Thursday I did a 6.25 mile / 10km run in similar heat and it didn't even cross my mind to carry water)

I have a fuel belt (2 x 10oz bottles) and on a 10 mile run will seldom go through much more than half of one bottle (and that's more a case of keeping my mouth feeling moist) If you have to drink on a 90 minute run you're probably not adequately hydrated to start with.

Bottom line, it comes down to personal preference. Trust your thirst.

To the OP this may be an interesting read.....

http://footloose.runnersworld.com/2010/07/july-7-damn-its-hot-out-there-so-how-much-should-you-be-drinking.html
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Carsonruns, I know you know you're stuff, but my personal experience doesn't chime with your view. I get sick and faint if I don't hydrate in a run. As I mentioned on the previous page, I drink a *lot* of water, every day. Several litres. But I still really can't cope beyond six miles without some water. I know that there's a basic physiological 'truth' in what you're saying, but nonetheless, I suspect there's a *lot* of individual difference.

I respect that. If you are getting sick and faint, and drinking water makes that go away, then the threshold is lower for you. There could be other factors too. Do you find that it changes based on what and when you eat? The air quality? Temperature? How much sleep you got? The time of day you ran? Lots and lots of variables.

I'm approaching his from the physiological perspective, hoping to help people understand what the body really needs and doesn't need according to the scientific research that has been done. Then, use that information to help them determine what works for them. I recall one race I ran where I came upon a guy that was literally soaked from head to toe on sweat no more than 3 miles into a HM. I was just starting to get a little lather going because it wasn't really that hot that day. He and I had vastly different sweat rates. My hydration needs were probably considerably different from his. There are going to be exceptions and extremes. Everyone has the responsibility to test to see what works for them.

ETA: speeling :smile:
  • heddylamar
    heddylamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest carrying a smallish water bottle in your hand, or borrowing a belt/pack before you invest in anything.

For me, the packs, no matter how well strapped down, rub holes into my back, even through a shirt. Wearing the same pack for a day hike it's incredibly comfortable. And the belts ride up, like a pair of ill-fitting pantyhose.

I finally found a small hand-held water bottle (one of the strap it to your hand kinds) that fits me. I haven't run with it yet, but I know I'm fine carrying a disposable 16 oz. water bottle, so this should be a bit more comfortable.

As for needing water on a 10+ mile run— that's a personal thing. I don't generally, but there have been days where water was definitely needed — like this past Saturday, but then, this morning, almost the same route and no water needed.

If you sweat a lot, you will need more fluids than someone who's a relatively light sweater, like me. There are calculations for fluid loss on Runners World that can help make sense of hydration needs.

I would recommend upping your overall water intake, whether you carry water on runs or not.