Side stitches when running

Options
nikinyx6
nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
Just started C25K, did week 1 day 1 on the treadmill, not too bad. Just finished day 2, outside...much harder!

My biggest obstacle is getting awful side stitches, is there a remedy, or a way to prevent them? Or is it just because I'm out of shape, and I have to deal with it?

Replies

• Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Bump because I have this same problem, and I tried every remedy I could find back in high school to no avail.... curious if something I haven't tried comes up!
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    My old gym teacher told me 'push on the place it hurts with 2 fingres, and bend at the waist' I think he was just making it up though, never works for me
  • bloomlately
    bloomlately Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Make sure to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. Long, deep breaths.

Also, be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated. Stitches can be caused by dehydration too.
  • Jurojo50
    Jurojo50 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would worry more about covering the distance right now than running all out. When I did the C25K a few years ago, I was averages about 13 minutes per mile, but I covered the distance with out stopping in my first race. Sure other people finished ahead of me that had spurts of speed, but I always ended up passing them after they blazed past me. I never stopped. They did. I'm just saying, it sounds like you are trying to go too fast too soon. If you aren't used to running, you don't know how to regulate your breathing. If you don't regulate your breathing, you are going to get a side stitch.

My running coach always said that if you can't breath normally while you run or talk to somone, then you are pushing yourself too hard. It sounds counterproductive, but it makes sense once you get that "runner's high."

Don't do that whole breath in through your nose out through your mouth stuff you always heard growing up. To get the most air, breath through your mouth. After all it is the biggest hole in your head.

Get good running shoes and stuff to run in. Find out if there is a track club in your city/town. Running in groups always helped me.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    I would worry more about covering the distance right now than running all out. When I did the C25K a few years ago, I was averages about 13 minutes per mile, but I covered the distance with out stopping in my first race. Sure other people finished ahead of me that had spurts of speed, but I always ended up passing them after they blazed past me. I never stopped. They did. I'm just saying, it sounds like you are trying to go too fast too soon. If you aren't used to running, you don't know how to regulate your breathing. If you don't regulate your breathing, you are going to get a side stitch.

My running coach always said that if you can't breath normally while you run or talk to somone, then you are pushing yourself too hard. It sounds counterproductive, but it makes sense once you get that "runner's high."

Don't do that whole breath in through your nose out through your mouth stuff you always heard growing up. To get the most air, breath through your mouth. After all it is the biggest hole in your head.

Get good running shoes and stuff to run in. Find out if there is a track club in your city/town. Running in groups always helped me.

Thanks for the input. I really don't think I'm doing too much too fast though. I wasn't even all that winded when I was done... also, distance and speed are not my goals, right now, I'm measuring success in minutes.

I will admit, I was trying the 'in through the nose ' bit...even though it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'll try mouth breathing tomorrow.
  • Jurojo50
    Jurojo50 Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the input. I really don't think I'm doing too much too fast though. I wasn't even all that winded when I was done... also, distance and speed are not my goals, right now, I'm measuring success in minutes.

I will admit, I was trying the 'in through the nose ' bit...even though it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'll try mouth breathing tomorrow.

No prob....and just an FYI, I probably could have lowered time on my mile by at least 3 minutes per mile but once you get in the 4-5 mile range, it becomes hard to keep it down...:)
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I only tend to get side stitches on the days when I've eaten too much (usually too much junk) too soon before my run. Then I just tough it out, slow down a bit if I must, focus on breathing. It usually goes away in a short while.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    I only tend to get side stitches on the days when I've eaten too much (usually too much junk) too soon before my run. Then I just tough it out, slow down a bit if I must, focus on breathing. It usually goes away in a short while.

I have eaten quite a volume of food today, fruit and veggies, but still. ..I'll keep this in mind.
  • bluedanceowl
    Options
    I'm 35 and I've always gotten side stitches & I'm a total mouth breather ;) . I recently took a Chi Running class & was told that the stitches could be caused by the body's inability to excel all of the used up, toxic air. So do this.....breath out everything you've got, keep going you won't die, and your body will naturally cause you to intake when you are completely empty. Then breathe air in with your mouth. I do this a couple of good times when I fill the stitches coming on & it works. Oh, but you should also concentrate on breathing in through your nose for multiple reasons, but that's a conversation for next time. Good Luck!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner too. I used to stop because of side stitches too. My husband is a marathon veteran and says if you can't hold a conversation while you're running, you're probably running too hard. I took his advice and ran at a much slower pace and it seems to have worked for me. Of course how long you run and how fast you run depends on how long you've been training. I started out a few months ago and I could run about 45 seconds before I felt like my heart was about to give up. 2 days back I ran 2 full miles without stopping! (Yayyy me!!) Also, I gave up trying to breathe through my nose. I just couldn't get enough air! Mouth breathing is the way to go. I also keep drinking small sips of water every few minutes. It seems to help. Now when I stop its because my legs are too tired, not because of the side stitches.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    I'm 35 and I've always gotten side stitches & I'm a total mouth breather ;) . I recently took a Chi Running class & was told that the stitches could be caused by the body's inability to excel all of the used up, toxic air. So do this.....breath out everything you've got, keep going you won't die, and your body will naturally cause you to intake when you are completely empty. Then breathe air in with your mouth. I do this a couple of good times when I fill the stitches coming on & it works. Oh, but you should also concentrate on breathing in through your nose for multiple reasons, but that's a conversation for next time. Good Luck!

Just tried that method, kinda felt like my lungs would collapse, but I do think it might work.

Thanks everyone
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have also read that side cramps can be due to lack of sodium and potassium in a runner's diet. Food for thought. :)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water beforehand and make sure you're putting fuel in your body instead of Lucky Charms - bananas are great for a pre-run workout!
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I had to keep stopping for stitches. I started concentrating on my breathing and within a week or so it had stopped and I haven't had once since - now running about 45 mins straight.
  • marylizzybethy
    Options
    The only time I get side stitches is when I eat or drink too close to going for a run. I can't even have a sip of water before I run or during my run and I will get a side stitch 2 blocks down the road. I have tried everything, breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth, putting pressure on the stitch, running through it and also stopping and walking. My run is ruined once I get one cause I can never get it to go away. My runs are usually 4-5 miles and I have improved a lot on my pace. It doesn't matter if I slow down or speed up, I still get one. I hope more people will post some remedies, cause I would love to find a cure as well.
  • KWats2011
    KWats2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been told by my very experienced running brother that side stitches are from not breathing enough/correctly while running. Try to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. It should slow down your breathing and help with the pain! Good luck- running is great for so many reasons :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I heard that it can be caused by lack of oxygen and not breathing properly. But even if I go slow and concentrate on breathing correctly I still get them.

I read it was due to a weak diaphragm way back when. I had a cross country ski coach bring in the running coach for me during a horribly snow-less winter of training, and he worked with me on every trick he had, and nothing worked. I did get to the point where I joined track, but only could ever do short distance sprinting, and even then I still occasionally was dealing with excessive pain.

The weak diaphragm thing doesn't make sense with me, though. I was a clarinetist, a music major, had great lung capacity and control..... I should never have been suffering from a weak diaphragm.

This makes me want to do more research now on it!
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I heard that it can be caused by lack of oxygen and not breathing properly. But even if I go slow and concentrate on breathing correctly I still get them.

I read it was due to a weak diaphragm way back when. I had a cross country ski coach bring in the running coach for me during a horribly snow-less winter of training, and he worked with me on every trick he had, and nothing worked. I did get to the point where I joined track, but only could ever do short distance sprinting, and even then I still occasionally was dealing with excessive pain.

The weak diaphragm thing doesn't make sense with me, though. I was a clarinetist, a music major, had great lung capacity and control..... I should never have been suffering from a weak diaphragm.

This makes me want to do more research now on it!

I used to get side stitches all the time when I started running. I read all the same stuff about breathing, eating vs. not eating, drinking vs. not drinking, etc. Nothing I tried worked. In my experience, they didn't stop until I was in better shape. As I continued to run as my main exercise, they went away. I also do core strengthening exercises, but I don't know if that played a part.

I think it's just a matter of conditioning, as you become more fit and strong, they should not be a problem for you anymore.
  • skittles8810
    Options

I totally agree! If I get them I breathe out all I have and then breathe in deeply. It helps me every time. :)
  • Kim_BUFF_Fox
    Options
    Side stitches are inevitable. Everyone will experience them at some point and for different reasons. Personally, when I first got into running (and you sound as though you're a newbie!) I was getting them because I wasn't focusing on keeping a consistent breathing pattern and also resisting the urge to take well needed walking breaks.

Nowadays, I usually get stitches when I'm covering a longer distance for the first time (where my body isn't used to the extra fatigue) OR because I haven't given enough time for my previous meal to digest / I've eaten something really heavy e.g. spag bol

I find that massaging my sides slightly or taking long deep breaths really helps. Failing that, if they really are bad, I'll walk for a few minutes to regain some composure and get back into it by working from a walk > fast walk > slow jog > normal running pace

Good luck :) It's pretty normal but as you get fitter they will become less frequent x