Not meeting Potassium and other nutrient goals

Options
2»

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Bananas, avocados, tomatoes, leafy greens, legumes. Eat fresh foods every day. Actually, a banana a day should take care of your daily potassium requirements.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have to take a potassium prescription, which I hate. So I like to try and get as much naturally as possible.
    Coconut water, potatoes, bananas, homemade fresh squeezed juices...

Sometimes it can be hard to track, as a lot of packaging doesn't list their mg's of potassium.

I'm also anemic, but can't stomach iron pills or red meat, so I take prenatal vitamins.
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As others have said, not many foods added get all the nutrition input.

Here is a list of Top 10 Sources of Potassium:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps usually means low potassium.
    Potassium = tomatoes, potatoes, cantaloupe, lean pork loin, fresh peaches, banana, yogurt, cherries (high carb though), corn, cucumbers, chicken, squash, spinach

Also many do not know that if you are having trouble with bloating that by eating 2 -3 times potassium than sodium it will help control the bloating. I track both for this reason.
  • Saiti
    Saiti Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow, I've learned a lot from all of you thank you so much, I didn't know half the fruits and vegetables listed had Calcium or Potassium in them. I will definitely be adding quite a few of these to my daily intake from now on.
  • mtinta2000
    Options
    It is very simple. For potassium, bananas. I add them to fruit smoothies, and to my cereal (very good with Special K.). One of the staples of my diet is Spinach - it has all the nutrients you say you are lacking. I use it in salads, sandwiches, add some to my smoothies and sometimes to rice. Spinach is good with everything! I don't cook it usually, I eat it raw instead of lettuce. Tomatoes are also good. I find smoothies are a good way to catch up on the nutrients I need. I blend in the morning banana, seasonal fruits, spinach carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, some walnuts or almonds, a teaspoon of organic coconut oil, plain Greek yogurt, and almond milk. If I am going to the gym I add a little bit of protein powder.
    This works very well for me to get all the nutrients, but you have to find your own combination according to what you like. For example, instead of bananas, how about raisins?
  • Saiti
    Saiti Posts: 4
    Options
    I would have never thought to add vegetables such as spinach and tomatoes to a fruit smoothie very interesting. I'm gonna have to give that one a try.
  • TurningBackTheHandsOfTime
    Options
    Go Bananas! They are a great source of potassium! :happy:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Spinach. High in potassium,calcium, iron, vitamin c, and vitamin a. Decent amounts of protein and fiber, no fat, very low sugar, low in sodium.

It's like someone asked "what does the typical American diet need added to it to make it perfect?" and put the answer in green leaves.

I like bananas, too, but for three times the calories and ten times the sugar you get half the potassium.

My favorite way to have spinach is to cook chicken or some lean meat in a frypan with a little olive oil, then throw a BUNCH of spinach on it and cook it down.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    You may actually be getting more than you think. A lot of the food in the data base is input by other users. A lot of people get lazy when inputting and simply do calories alone, and some go through the measures of calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc but do not include vitamins and such. So if you select a food from the database, chances are it doesn't always include those. Coconut water is a good source of potassium, as well as a banana!

I wouldn't blame it on user laziness. The FDA doesn't require manufacturers to put potassium levels on food labels, so the data is not available for many items.

That is why you can't believe the potassium levels MFP tells you. Even potassium-rich foods are listed with 0% RDA of potassium because the FDA doesn't require it on labels in the USA.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, which helps with iron, and other vitamins. For calcium I drink milk or eat a yogurt. Potassium is a hard one to get, and yet it is one of the most important, especially for woman. I too, just recently, realized how deficient I was in potassium and did some research. Here is a link to a helpful list of foods that are high in potassium: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm.

Also, MFP doesn't always log the correct amounts of potassium. A lot of time it says N/A. I eat a lot of chicken breast (white meat in chicken has a decent amount of potassium), but my MFP doesn't pick it up. So, you more than likely get more than what is reflected in your counter, however it probably isn't enough.

A potassium supplement never gives you enough, but you should be eating foods that your body can pull it out naturally. Supplements are not always the "healthy" route.

Good-luck!
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You may actually be getting more than you think. A lot of the food in the data base is input by other users. A lot of people get lazy when inputting and simply do calories alone, and some go through the measures of calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc but do not include vitamins and such. So if you select a food from the database, chances are it doesn't always include those. Coconut water is a good source of potassium, as well as a banana!

I was going to say that, because I've noticed the same. (and I'm lazy because I don't enter them either or track them, but I only add foods to my food not the main database)
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Eat fish - tons of Potassium in certain kinds of fish. I eat fist twice a week.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is a good source of potassium
  • Amysgetnfit
    Amysgetnfit Posts: 231
    Options
    :happy: Google is your friend,
    do a search for foods high in potassium, you will get a list & be able to pick out the things you really like.
    Bananas... though peanut butter actually has more, all kinds of nuts, beans & dark leafy greens like spinach, (also high in iron).
    I too have the potassium problem, & magnesium deficit. I dont need the multi vitamin as Im not lacking in other areas, so I get just Potassium pills to make up where diet lacks... ESPECIALLY in the summer when its so important!
    good luck!:drinker:
  • Pinwheels
    Pinwheels Posts: 5
    Options
    Another fan of Spinach & Bananas here :) I mix baby Spinach in my smoothies and although the color looks awful, you can barely taste it and get a big serving of all the vitamins you're needing! I can't stand vegetables and if I can put something in a smoothie rather than sit and eat it off a plate it has my vote... I tried spinach in smoothies once and never looked back hehe :)
  • krislimm
    krislimm Posts: 1
    Options
    MFP seems to like calculating sodium but not potassium , bit sad
  • josstuff
    josstuff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just take potassium supplements or drink coconut water when I'm low on it. I can really tell when I'm low on potassium because I start getting leg cramps after running/walking extensively which freaking hurt.