WHY NOT STRENGTH TRAINING!

Options
Why doesn't strength training add to your workout goal for the day/week/month? Does anyone know?

Replies

• mnmathes
    Options
    Why doesn't strength training add to your workout goal for the day/week/month? Does anyone know?
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    good question I was diapointed that only my cardio counted as i think strength training is very important.
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You have to enter the weight training under "cardio".
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    there is a "strength training" entry under exercise, so you will just have to enter your strength training under exercise rather than strength training.
    Doesn't make much sense, I know - but I hope that helps : )
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This seems like a major oversight.

When entered under either "Strength" or "Cardio" it does not calculate any calories and does not show up on the food page as calories burned. If you enter "push" in the Cardio field, you get results that include "pushing a stroller", which gives x calories burned per y minutes. "push up" also appears in the list, but shows/give nothing for calories burned.

Hopefully this is simply under construction.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ah ha! I found it - sort of. You enter the words "weight training" under Cardio. It seems to be the only thing so far that calculates calories.

Interestingly, 10 minutes of carrying boxes is almost equal to 30 minutes of "weight training".

I would say this area needs some beefing up on this otherwise great site.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I go to exercise, under "cardio" and type "strength training", strength training comes up. I put that I did 30 minutes of strength training, and it showed I burned 128 calories. And it shows on the home page as calories burned as well - so maybe try that, it worked for me. Is that what you are looking for?
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found under another posting that the reason the strength training isn't counted for calories is because the calories burned vary so much, depending on how vigorous the activities are done.
    Hope this helps!
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    Here are a few nifty sites for determining calories burnt during different activities.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

http://www.coolnurse.com/calories_burned.htm

hope they help!
  • clutter
    Options
    cardgrl is right. the rate you go at it makes a big difference. But there's good news. You will burn many more calories over the course of the day if you add strength training. Probably already know that. But cardio only burns a little while after you stop. Weight training burns hours after you stop IF you work it pretty hard.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Plus, it tones you up nicely to do the weight training! :-)
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    calorieking.com also has a tool for figuring out how many calories you burn doing various activities, including weight lifting. It is based on height, weight, and gender. You can add your "calories burned" as your own entry in the cardio portion of the exercise log
  • baday
    baday Posts: 35
    Options
    CalorieKing is a great site, thanks for the link. The "Resources & Tools" are particularly helpful!
  • millergibsonj
    millergibsonj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Matt, search for weight lifting under "add cardio". Or you can try wearing a heart rate monitor and add you calories in that way.