Hardest thing to do but must be done - Ignore Your Scale

Options
I sent the following message to a friend today. I weighed in today and didn't lose any weight but I don't ever let that get me down. I know there are multiple posts about this very topic but hey I like to add my two cents.

--

You cannot let the scale run your feelings. You have to know that eating better and working out is doing your body wonders even if your not seeing the progress on the scale you are making progress.

Have you take the time to "measure" yourself? I see progress in other ways. For example today I uppped all the weights in the gym so clearly I am getting a little stronger. I measured my arms and legs a few weeks back if I don't see progress on the scale next week I'll consult the measurements.

For me I know from my previous attempts at weight loss I'll drop some weight and then nothing then drop some more but for me really this isn't a diet or an fad. I really enjoy going to the gym because when I walk out I feel like I am ready to handle anything the day has to throw at me. There are times for sure that I don't want to be there and times when I am sore at work 2 hours later but then there are days like today when I walk out feeling on top of the world. I capture that moment (even took a picture of it today) and when I am feeling bad I remember that feeling and BOOM I totally feel better.

Stick with the plan, log your calories, log your exercise, don't listen to the scale listen to your endorphins :)

Replies

• beth0672
    beth0672 Posts: 37
    Options
    I love this!! I am desperately trying to end my addiction to the scale. Yes, it is an addiction. I know in my head that it's just a number and it will fluctuate but there seems to just be something about seeing that number go down. I know I feel better and have tons more energy! For the first time that I can remember, I am actually dragging my kids out to do things instead of the other way around! I told myself this morning that I am putting the scale away until my next "weigh in" so I don't watch those numbers go back and forth and frustrate me.
  • Irnwkr392
    Irnwkr392 Posts: 9
    Options
    Great post !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    If you look the way you want to, fit in the clothing size you want, and are fit, then does it really matter what the scale says at that point?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this. My scale weight hasn't changed since Feb. I was getting down on myself for "lack of progress" even though I was getting strong, fitter and feeling thinner. Photos revealed that I was correct and the scale was wrong. Now I'm going scale free for at least all of July, maybe longer.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :drinker: