Eating raw Quorn?

Options
vara123
vara123 Posts: 60 Member
Hi everyone! Bit of a random question... I was wondering if anyone here eats Quorn raw? I am talking about the chicken style pieces here, refrigerated not frozen. I tried them for the first time tonight and they look like cooked chicken. I cooked them tonight but wondered if I could just chuck them on a salad cold, like I would do with cooked chicken breast? Anyone done this? There is nothing about eating them raw on the box, and only a little about it online (mainly from people on yahoo answers asking if they are going to die from eating raw Quorn...). I could try it, and see if I get violently sick, but thought I might ask on here first!

Replies

• RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i had to look up what Quorn is.....so obviously i don't know anything..but if i were to try it i would cook the ****ens out of it....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't have it often but I always heat it up when I do. Eating it raw is probably better than the raw hot dogs i used to eat but I would still cook it.
  • Bexyf
    Bexyf Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    there are certain ones you can, tikka style pieces etc but as far as I am aware no for the plain ones and they do seem different in texture - I ate quorn forever (cant now cos of gluten) and never ate the normal pieces raw x
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know this is not very useful but you could try contacting their customer services and asking. If you ever do, and they reply let me know because that sounds like a good idea!
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat it quite a bit, but I've only ever seen it frozen. That said, with most fake meat products, if it MUST be cooked, it will be very specific about that on the package. If they don't say "must cook before eating" or something, you can probably just eat it cold. I think it would taste better cooked though. If you really want it cold, I'd probably cook (and season!) a few pieces, then cut them up and toss some on a salad whenever.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Not sure about eating it without cooking it first, but when I want to use them on a salad I just cook up a small batch, let them cool and them throw them on. I probably cook a bag of the Chik'n tender pieces a day and always have some in the fridge, so they are already cool.
  • 44eab44
    44eab44 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always eat the refrigerated pieces uncooked! I was hesitant at first because it doesnt specifically say anywhere you can eat them raw, but then my friend says she always snacks on them and no problem!
    I think they are delicious so pick at them if they're in the fridge, and if i am making a salad or packed lunch sometimes I just chuck them and no problem!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Google says "So Quorn is safe to freeze, safe to cook, and safe to eat. ... Cross contamination should be avoided and Quorn products should be prepared separately to other food groups such as meat, fish and dairy products, where possible. For cooking, we always include thorough cooking instructions with our frozen and fresh products."