Conquering the box jump fear...

Options
So, I have a fear of box jumping. I can leap over small obstacles with no problem, I can do step-ups and I can jump over a medicine ball. But when it comes to jumping on a box, I just stand there and freeze, I can't do it, I am scared to and I have no idea why. I really want to be able to do it as I do kick boxing and we use them in training sometimes.

Any tips as to how to get over the fear?

Replies

• Stephie_
    Stephie_ Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of box jumps also. It's a very mental thing. Found this article, maybe it will help?
    http://crossfitwatertown.typepad.com/index/2008/03/might-as-well-j.html

and this video
    http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BoxJumpVariations.wmv
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit and had the same feeling - scared me to death!! Start out with the lowest height (mine was 16") and stand as close as you can - I know that doesn't seem to make sense - but it works. I had the same feeling in my stomach - and yes, it's a mental thing - but once you do it once, it really helps and gives you the confidence that you can do it again.
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I still can't jump onto the 21" box, but one of my CrossFit coaches taught me a method that is helpful to me. I put some weights stacked next to the box and jump onto them a couple of times and then I start jumping from the weights onto the box. For whatever reason, starting closer to the ground and getting into the motion helps me a ton.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    tuck jumps, then move onto staked plates, then 16" box, 20", 24" and so on. It's TOTALLY mental. Believe that you can do more than what you think you can. Trust the process/trust yourself.
  • chicalternita
    Options
    Try it in a non-workout setting. Maybe do a running jump. I say this as sympathy because we do box jumps ALL THE TIME in volleyball practice, so I had to get over my fear by being called a wuss and lazy if I didn't do it :). It's not even bad, just work your way up, maybe even try jumping off one leg and then landing. Whatever makes you comfortable. Conquer the box!
  • CrossFitBeast
    CrossFitBeast Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    tuck jumps, then move onto staked plates, then 16" box, 20", 24" and so on. It's TOTALLY mental. Believe that you can do more than what you think you can. Trust the process/trust yourself.
    Agree! It's all mental...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Agree! It's all mental...

Yup. You just kinda' gotta' do it and once you do you'll be fine. :)