Are those doorframe pull up bars safe?

Options
I don't have a lot of space in my house but I want to learn to do pull ups. If I am forced to practice in public it will never happen. So... Those bar things... are they safe? Will they fall?

We have 3/4 inch thick dry wall and studs every 2 feet if that matters. The forces applied to them make sense... But I will enjoy some personal accounts for things like this. I have a few doorframes that are made right.

Disclaimer, I can only currently pull myself about two inches up before my arms give out. I am very out of shape. But the day I can pull myself up will be glorious.

Replies

• joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    they are safe. i have one and have used it in several places that i have lived.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    @JoeCollins938 Thank you. Did you notice any damage to the door? This doesn't change my plan to get one, it's just knowing which door to use it on. No one ever sees the utility room door.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    They fine. I've used the one at my FIL many times with no issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    We use it. It left marks where the bar hits/touches the door frame. No damages on top.

BTW, I started out not even pulling up an inch. Took me about a month of working on it to do one. You will be able to do one sooner than you think.
  • ConstableOdo
    ConstableOdo Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Next paycheck that is my exercise gift to me. I got myself a scale this last one, so I haven't the extra.

Thanks for the story qtiekiki... Makes me feel better. When I see people doing pull-ups it just looks like they were born doing them off the stirrups. It's like "Wow... Why do I have puny little baby arms?" =D Hopes it not creepy but I want your stomach.
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used one too. The paint was white and the bar black so it did scuff a bit but no frame damage. I was worried the whole door frame would collapse!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Well sorry but I disagree. Only because mine fell down when my son old was using it. He hit the back of his head on the tile and the bar hit him in the face and gave him a bloody nose. He's a competitive gymnast and was not using it improperly. Needless to say I returned mine! Just be careful please..
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well sorry but I disagree. Only because mine fell down when my son old was using it. He hit the back of his head on the tile and the bar hit him in the face and gave him a bloody nose. He's a competitive gymnast and was not using it improperly. Needless to say I returned mine! Just be careful please..

Did the doorframe break or did the pull-up bar break?

If it just slipped off, then he either didn't use the safety latch that even my cheapo model came with or he was being far too bouncy for a door frame model (i.e., he was using it improperly).
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Constable Odo (man i miss ds9)

I have one, put up the brackets in my kitchen door frame, so far the only injury has been my own fault. Tried to do a negative chin up too soon, got up with some steps and fell right down onto them. Now i'm a bit stronger, and always have a big pillow on the floor juuuussst in case.

As far as doorway strength, my house is not very well make, and I haven't pulled the frame off yet.

Good luck!