adipex/phentermine

Options
mbanister1
mbanister1 Posts: 29 Member
Has anybody taken this diet pill? I know many people have had great success, just curious to hear some stories about it. How long were you on it, how much weight loss, side effects... Etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• Brandilion05
    Brandilion05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have taken phentermine several times. The first time I took it for 3 months with a 1200 calorie diet and lost 30 lbs. Needless to say, I gained it all back and then some. The side effects that I had were mainly dry mouth and sleep deprivation. 7 of my friends also took it and lost a lot of weight but then gained it all back plus more. I wouldn't recommend taking it, because for me it was like a drug that I can't stop taking.
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I took adipex from Nov. 2010 to Jan. of 2011...I lost 30 pounds. I didn't follow the diet strictly which was 1000 calories a day. I didn't stop eating the foods I liked or anything and the second month I added in exercise. Its been nearly two years and I haven't gained any of the weight back. In fact I lost 10lbs more on my own and I'm struggling to get the last 10 off. Not every person who takes it gains back the weight and then some its all about discipline. Its no different than doing a low cal diet or even counting calories if you quit it you could gain it back and then some. The medicine helped get me off my butt and working out b/c it was something that I wanted. I hope this helps you.
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    I took adipex in 2008 and lost close to 65 pounds which sounds great and i loved it but i gained it all right back and now am in the process of trying to lose it the right way....the one good thing about adipex was the amount of energy it gave me...the downfall for me besides gaining all my weight back was that it didnt make me hungry at all...i went days without eating because the smell of food even just made me sick...i felt full all the time...i started getting dizzy at work when i bent over to pick something up and my friend at the time forced me to eat something...that was a huge downfall. That doesnt mean that happens to everyone thats just what happend to me when i took them...
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    I took adipex for 3 months and lost 30lbs. I recently switched to a pill from GNC that is low cost- only 40 dollars for a 60 day supply. Its called "fastin". It's just like adipex.It even look like the adipex pills. But Fastin wont take a chip out of your bank account every time you have to refill. I absolutely love the energy I get when I take phen's. I would not have been able to lose the weigh that i have without them. I hope you'll give them a try and let me know how you like them! Good Luck!! =)
  • Southernbelle90
    Options
    p.s. I took a two month break between adipex and fastin- I didnt gain any weight back- but I still worked out and had the same diet plan. The pills are designed to get you into a habit of eating the correct proportions etc. After you stop taking them you still have to work to keep off the weight. =)
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Can you still get phentermine in the US?
  • shortykyn
    shortykyn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have taken Adipex. I took it for approximately 1 year. I didn't notice much of a difference in my appetite, but there was a huge difference in the amount of energy I had. I didn't gain the weight back after I got off Adipex, but I did lose the energy. I did gain weight during my pregnancy.
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm taking adipex and almost done with my 3rd month of it. I did take a 3 week break from months 2 & 3 and didn't gain any weight. So far I've lost 19 pounds but it's more cause I didn't weight in yet and my clothes are a bigger since the last weight in.

I follow the 1200 calorie diet that comes in the Adipex booklet, c2-5k running program 3 days a week and on my non-running days I do Insanity or walk 3 miles.

GOOD LUCK!
  • MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend these pills. I tried them for a short time and didnt like them at all. One of the side effects I had was racing heart beat. I felt jittery. All of the people I have known that took these lost weight because it did give them energy and kill their appetite, but eventually gained it all back. I think people become psychologically dependent on them. They say that you feel afraid to stop taking them because your appetite will come back. They make you forget to eat. I think people who have anxiety, ADD can be highly sensitive to these types of drugs because they affect the central nervous system.

To be completely honest, I think exercise and just changing what you eat is so much healthier in the long run. I eat alot, but cut out starches, foods high in fat and sugars. It took me a few weeks to adjust from cravings but thats all. My weakness was always sweets and breads. I eat alot of fruits and vegetables, chicken breast/turkey. Hope this helps.

Thanks
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's JUNK!
    If you really want to reach your fitness goals, it's just WORK.
    You can't pill your way to success. It's best to keep it simple: eat less - move more.
    Eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Track what you eat and balance your meals as per MFP recommendations.
    And eat the amount of calories that equals 1 lb of weight loss per week. And track your training both cardio and resistance and eat back all exercise calories to maintain a steady deficit every day.
    Just accept that diet and exercise is the only valid path.
    There are no magic wands, miracle pills, macro revelations, far eastern discoveries, exotic enzymes, divination or hidden roots or berries from the rain forest..
    Just eat right and exercise.
    Simple.:bigsmile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Has anybody taken this diet pill? I know many people have had great success, just curious to hear some stories about it. How long were you on it, how much weight loss, side effects... Etc.

Thanks!

I've taken many different types of weight loss drugs. As soon as I was off them, I 'd regain anything I lost and then some. They are a desperate measure and almost always fail. Many have nasty side effects as well (bloating, gas, diarrhea, heart irregularities, kidney and liver issues)

My prescription that works for almost everyone is proper nutrition and exercise. Finding your inner child and remembering how to play helps too.
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Phentermine prescribed from my Doctor along with a 1200 calorie a day diet. I just finished my first month on it and lost 12 lbs without any exercise. The pill does help suppress my appetite. I have had the dry mouth and some constipation but that is it as fas as side effects (no rapid heart beat/sleep deprivation or anything else). If you need a boost to help suppress your appetite, I would talk to your doctor and see if they would prescribe it.
  • iluvmyortiz1122
    iluvmyortiz1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've taken it before, back in Jan of 08 til August-ish of 08. I lost about 55#'s. Annnnd then I got pregnant and retained massive amounts of water weight. I lost about 30#'s of the 55 and had another baby! Now I'm working off all the baby weight the old fashioned way, lots of hard work and making a life change-don't call it a diet! I eat Paleo, so meats, fruits, and veggies. The only dairy I have is coffee creamer. It's a good life style to change, and totally manageable.
  • mbanister1
    mbanister1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby May 2, he is our little miracle baby. I have a lot of hormone disorders and had to be on fertility meds for him. I gained 32 pounds with him and have lost all of the baby weight. I was about 40 pounds overweight before getting pregnant because of miscarriages. I

I am a nurse, I am very aware of what the drug can do, I just wanted to hear some real stories from people that have taken the medication.

THank you to everybody! :)
  • sara_navarr0
    Options
    I must agree, I tried phentermine before and it brought me to the emergency room. My heart was raising and I told my husband if I get out of this I will never ever try a diet pill again! I know not everyone has the side effect like I did, but for me I can't and I won't take it again. I measure what I eat, choose what I eat and exercise. Very simple but complicated to some.
  • TattedLiLdiVa
    TattedLiLdiVa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK, well FIRST.. i AM on it now and have been for a week, i have noticed my appitite is gone, it comes back late at night .but i just grab a handfull of almonds and im fine.. i have headaches..so i keep ibprophone handy (sp)...TODAY is a week exactly that i have been taking the pill and i have not really been watching what i eat just SMALLER portions.. totally non fatty ... no caffine at all .... ONLY WATER due to the fact that my mouth is dry all of the time, but in this week i have went from 309, to 304.4 ... in just a week .. so id say it works.. I HAVE been exorsising... for atleast 30-60 mins a day ....except the first day that i started taking it .. so for about 6 days out of the week...nothing harsh .. just on the treadmill and the bike at the gym.. well i guess we will see if it pays off, im not only trying to loose weight.. but im making it a life style and I KNOW that i cant theis pill for ever.. im letting it train my body into eating smaller portions, thats what it was designed for...some get it and feel the need to have to take ....just if you decide to get and take it.. just remember ...what its for :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!