No Thyroid-No problem! -- Calorie intake advice please

Options
I'm reaching out to MFP'ers to see if there are others on this journey with no thyroid.

My life changed last year when I slowly gained 30 lbs and became uncontrollably tired and moody. I made excuse after excuse for myself for the weight gain and fatigue---even though I switched between about 4 different diets and increased my exercise often. I kept saying, "It's my training" or "I'm just getting older", "I've got kids" ...you know the works. Last year was supposed to be my year--I ran my first full marathon and did my first triathlon. BUT, there was this tiny issue ....I gained at least a pound a week if not 2...oh, and I couldn't breathe!

Eventually the hypo took over and I couldn't go three hours without a nap. Thats when I demanded my Dr. run blood work. Not only was I diagnosed with Hashimoto's, but my thyroid was wrapping around my wind pipe causing me not to breathe properly. No wonder I had a panic attack a mile into my runs! I have a TT in Nov of 11.

Fast forward to today and I am thyroidless and back to life! It's not the same, granted: more rest days, early morning runs scooted back, diet HAD to change, etc. BUT....2 things have helped the process:

1. I exercise daily (try to make it 45-60 min) with one day off/wk
2. Eat cleaner foods (I know going GF helps many, but I haven't been ready to jump aboard just yet)

I am currently on 90 mg of Armour and I have 15's I keep around on heavy exercise days to take later in the day.

Of course I'd love nothing more than to have my normal, healthy functioning thyroid back, but that ain't happenin'. So, we make the best with what we have. To me, exercise has been extremely important to my mental well being my whole life---so much more so now. Eating right has helped me slowly widdle the pounds back down.

What are some changes you've made in your life to adjust to having no thyroid?

How have you adjusted your calorie intake for having no thyroid?

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't had to change my life at all to accomodate not having a thyroid. I lost my thyroid after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It certainly took awhile to feel "normal" again (had to go through cancer treatments, and I could not take thyroid hormone replacements during that time, so my tsh levels were over 100) but now Levoxyl keeps my levels in normal range and I feel fine. As long as you take your medication as prescribed and monitor your levels, you can feel just like anyone else.
  • wilson1134
    wilson1134 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have noticed less changes than I originally anticipated, but there are some. The medicine/levels being right has been the biggest milestone--once they leveled out, I was feeling generally good again.

Weight loss has been my issue however. It's much slower than before for sure!! :)
  • sarafil
    Options
    If your levels are good, you would think you wouldn't have trouble with weight loss, because you are no longer hypothyroid. What is your tsh level like now? Is it maybe too high for you, even if it is in normal range?
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In March of 2010 I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer and so I am without a thyroid also. It's hard to keep energy levels up and get down when it takes so long to lose 1 lb. But you just have to keep at it and not let it get the best of you!! Good luck with everything! I make sure to drink lots of water, limit starches and try to eat more fruits and veggies (I'm not good at getting those in)!
  • wilson1134
    Options
    My last TSH was .65 T3 was 2.6 and T4 was .8 ----levels are pretty decent.

My endo talked to me about how it takes the body awhile to adjust to using medicine instead of being able to adjust itself like a functioning thyroid. I knew the loss would be slow and I'm ok with it for the most part---just get a tad frustrated. :) limiting salt and sugar has been a lifestyle change for me, lol!
  • donovanart
    donovanart Posts: 55
    Options
    Still have my thyroid, even though it's been dead for about 3 years now. Doctors are having a lot of problems with it, and my weight sky rocketed. My last T4 levels came back pretty good, now I have to wait until August 27th to see if these pills are working :)
  • wilson1134
    Options
    Still have my thyroid, even though it's been dead for about 3 years now. Doctors are having a lot of problems with it, and my weight sky rocketed. My last T4 levels came back pretty good, now I have to wait until August 27th to see if these pills are working :)

Are you checking your T3 and reverse t3?
  • mrsmelonmaryjane
    mrsmelonmaryjane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I had my thyroid out this past winter due to a large goiter wrapped on a muscle. I am still getting adjusted and think that my synthroid might finally be a t the right level .88. So, I was hyper since Feb when my oid came out but gained weight instead of losing. Didn't gain a lot but what a pain this has been. I think I went back to work too fast and I was very tired until just recently.

I'm feeling pretty good now so I am hoping that next week's weigh in will show a loss.
  • wilson1134
    Options
    Hi,
    I had my thyroid out this past winter due to a large goiter wrapped on a muscle. I am still getting adjusted and think that my synthroid might finally be a t the right level .88. So, I was hyper since Feb when my oid came out but gained weight instead of losing. Didn't gain a lot but what a pain this has been. I think I went back to work too fast and I was very tired until just recently.

I'm feeling pretty good now so I am hoping that next week's weigh in will show a loss.

Yes, I agree, it's all a pain in the rear! lol How has your blood work been? 88 seems like a low dose for no thyroid, but if you were hyper I can see them keeping you low for sure. Glad you are feeling better. That's what it's all about. :)

When do you weigh in? We will be cheering for you!!
  • sarafil
    Options
    If your tsh is .65, you are at a pretty low range (making you closer to hyper than hypo); hopefully it will just take a little more time and you will feel back to normal. Good luck!
  • wilson1134
    Options
    If your tsh is .65, you are at a pretty low range (making you closer to hyper than hypo); hopefully it will just take a little more time and you will feel back to normal. Good luck!

Yes, I am happy to be at .65! I feel great right now and have been right under 1.0 for about 3 mths. It's just the slow slow slow weight loss, lol.