too much protein

Options
Today is my second day and I am stumped. I have managed to stay:flowerforyou: within my numbers except for protein. I went over my alloted grams. Is this okay or do I really need to focus more on keeping it within range? Thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The concensus seems to be that the protien allowances on MFP are on the low side. I tend to go slightly over on a regular basis. If you are exercising a lot I don't see this as a problem but you might want to track your intake for a few weeks and then talk it over with your doctor the next time you see him or her.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition (kidneys, diabetes) where you should not be consuming too much protein then don't worry. More protein is good and IMHO, MFP sets the limit too low.

Proteins and fats will make you feel full longer.

Edit: I go for at least 100+ per day and that is by doctor recommendation.
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    Im no expert but for myself i would be happy with that its the carbs and sugar you dont want to go over!:smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but for myself i would be happy with that its the carbs and sugar you dont want to go over!:smile:

Sugar is a carb. It is more important to measure carbs than sugar. There is no need to measure sugars also unless you are diabetic.
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i always go over on protein, sometimes double what MFP is saying i should have
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this for a long time. I go over almost everyday but I do protein meal replacement shakes twice a day too. I have decided it can't be bad to have a lot of protein since it's necessary for muscle repair after workouts and necessary for gaining lean muscle in general.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I more often then not go over on protein and the days when I don't I try to. There's nothing wrong with going over on protein, watch the other macros more closely.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose then there is nothing wrong with it. Protein burns fat and in the absence of fat it would burn muscle. Not many of us have to worry about that. I want to lose an additional 20 lbs. The doctor told me to stay at 1200 calories and 80 g. of protein.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i normally triple, sometimes quadruple the amount MFP recommends for protein.

Aggravates the crap outta me that MFP recommends carbs so dam high and protein is so low
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    The concensus seems to be that the protien allowances on MFP are on the low side.
    This...is...a...bummer. I often fall short of meeting the protein allowance but I always thought it would be okay to fall a little under. If what MFP tells me to take in is on the low side though, I'll start trying harder to meet it then. :ohwell:
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros in MFP to up the protein and lower the carbs...
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I aim for 140 a day of protein. protein is good for you, especially when trying to build muscle. if you're like in the 200s though, i'd watch it. kidney stones. ah!
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    My dietitian has me a on a 40-40-20 (Carb-Protein-Fat) diet. I changed the MFP settings through the "custom" goals option and its just find for me now!
  • sassified66
    sassified66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay around 100 grams day.... it feels you up so you don't get hungry plus boost your metabolism while processing...good luck!
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My PT suggests I eat 6 smaller meals a day, with a handsize of protein and a handsize of veges. She can't tell me enough, to eat more protein! Which isn't hard to do, my son's a butcher ;)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My dietitian has me a on a 40-40-20 (Carb-Protein-Fat) diet. I changed the MFP settings through the "custom" goals option and its just find for me now!

That's interesting that a dietician - I presume registered dietician has you on those percentages - I thought they usually have you on higher carbs? How many grams of protein do you have at that percentage?

I worked it out myself:
    1200 cals = 120g protein
    1300 cals = 130g protein
    1400 cals = 140g protein
    1500 cals = 150g protein etc
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options

That's interesting that a dietician - I presume registered dietician has you on those percentages - I thought they usually have you on higher carbs? How many grams of protein do you have at that percentage?

I worked it out myself:
    1200 cals = 120g protein
    1300 cals = 130g protein
    1400 cals = 140g protein

My dietitian is an RD. I have PCOS, which is an endocrine disorder that can include insulin resistance. That means that it is best to keep my carb intake under control. Not low carb, but not Olive Garden Pasta level. PCOS also should be managed on a lower fat diet. Being on higher carbs would be a bad thing since my body is more prone to processing carbs into fat and storing it around my liver (because the liver is busy trying to resolve the insulin issues that the PCOS creates.)

My prior efforts to lose weight were feeble at best even on Weight Watchers, but on this diet (the dietitian prefers to call it "lifestyle") I have lost nearly 10% of my body weight. My best luck prior to seeing the dietitian were with South Beach but since I do not like eggs, it was not a good fit. Now I am very good with the diet and feel very comfortable eating this way. I have been at it since June 1st and I haven't gone overboard with binges or cheating yet. We'll see what my doctor thinks of my results when I see him next week... I am hoping that I tip over the 10% mark by then.

ETA: Right now, MFP has me at 1,400 calories, so I am at 140-140-31 for carb-protein-fat. I don't usually reach 1,400 calories though, I am supposed to stay over 1,000 every day and under 1,400.
  • SockSaver
    SockSaver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump on this to think about.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I worked it out myself:
    1200 cals = 120g protein
    1300 cals = 130g protein
    1400 cals = 140g protein

My dietitian is an RD. I have PCOS, which is an endocrine disorder that can include insulin resistance. That means that it is best to keep my carb intake under control. Not low carb, but not Olive Garden Pasta level. PCOS also should be managed on a lower fat diet. Being on higher carbs would be a bad thing since my body is more prone to processing carbs into fat and storing it around my liver (because the liver is busy trying to resolve the insulin issues that the PCOS creates.)

My prior efforts to lose weight were feeble at best even on Weight Watchers, but on this diet (the dietitian prefers to call it "lifestyle") I have lost nearly 10% of my body weight. My best luck prior to seeing the dietitian were with South Beach but since I do not like eggs, it was not a good fit. Now I am very good with the diet and feel very comfortable eating this way. I have been at it since June 1st and I haven't gone overboard with binges or cheating yet. We'll see what my doctor thinks of my results when I see him next week... I am hoping that I tip over the 10% mark by then.

ETA: Right now, MFP has me at 1,400 calories, so I am at 140-140-31 for carb-protein-fat. I don't usually reach 1,400 calories though, I am supposed to stay over 1,000 every day and under 1,400.

Most would say its low carb because you don't always reach 140g. I think its moderate - as I used to be a 20g low carber.
    Well done on the losses.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I always go wayyyy over, and I'm still losing weight :D