Dealing with difficult weeks..

Options
How do you guys deal with weeks that you know are going to be terrible for food and exercise. I had a rough week last week with the 4th and all the time off and visiting with family. Then grandma offered to watch our kids for this week, so I've been without my kids since friday afternoon, and hubby and I "celebrate" with food...... Now I'm back to work and a more normal routine, minus the kids, but on thursday I start a 4 day business meeting that involves much smoozing and boozing and fine dining and long hours. Any thoughts on how to get through this. Normally I would just throw in the towel, write it off as hopeless and get my drink on. I don't think that's the best plan. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've done so poorly lately that i feel like if I can do a decent job at this meeting I can get back on track and kick this weight loss into gear! Thanks!

Replies

• HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to "free up" calories for the days that you know you will be having some beers with the clients, a brat on the BBQ, etc. by limiting the rest of your calories for that day or exercising more. Another idea would be to try to make the healthiest choices you can...for example, having one or two glasses of wine instead of a mug of beer, having only one hamburger at the BBQ or slice of cake at the party, etc. Some people plan for "cheat" days in the same manner. I'm sure with some number-crunching you can figure it out! Don't give up and good luck!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Also, don't be too hard on yourself if you have a bad day and eat too much or exercise too little...just get back on track ASAP, whether that's taking a quick walk, skipping desert, or just going back to normal the next morning. I have self-sabotaged before by just throwing in the towel that day if I screw up, binging and such...don't do that!
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't say limit your calories all day and "starve" yourself...from my personal experience that's a binge waiting to happen.

I just got over a weekend spending with my friends and it was not the best. The only thing I could do was log everything I was putting in my mouth and promise myself a hard workout and not to be so down on myself. I pre-logged my dinner by visiting the restaurant's website which helped ALOT. Tomorrow's a new day. Every day isn't the same as the last and I have to keep a positive mind frame or else it will not work long term.
  • marpalde
    marpalde Posts: 9
    Options
    Try to make wise food choices and walk off the calories. Have red wine instead of sugar packed hard liquor or vodka with low cal mix. When you get your routine back, get back on track and be strict. Good luck and remember that it's your own hand that puts the food in your mouth. No excuses. Again, good luck and know that you can do it.
  • healthylife1010
    Options
    I know it's hard. But that's part of life. You can still lose weight in the long-run. I think the problem people fall into is that they get too concerned with the short-term changes instead of looking at it from the long-term prospective. Don't give in completely and go all out but don't stress too much over it either. I know it's easier said then done but try to have smaller portions of unhealthy things. Enjoy life and what it has to offer but just try to eat and drink in moderation. I had to go to a meeting for 3 days too and we had basically buffets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner lol it was hard but I tried not to stress too much about it. I picked the healthier options for the most part and then had a treat here and there. I managed to have a great time and when I got back, I had barely gained anything. Most of it could be just water weight or something. Try to add in exercise if you can too. I managed to exercise 30 mins early in the morning.

But don't stress too much. Life is to enjoy, not to stress :)
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    One step at a time- one meal at a time. I have to attend some social business functions and I do enjoy have a drink or two. I have found if I order one gin and tonic and then ask the bartender to refill my glass with water and a fresh lime that I get far fewer questions on "why I'm not drinking". I don't mind telling people that I am trying to lose weight but the fewer questions about my abstinence makes the evening more relaxed.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options

But don't stress too much. Life is to enjoy, not to stress :)

A lesson I'm really struggling with lately! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. If I were half as good at being healthy as I am at beating myself up, I'd be at my goal!!