Running in inhuman temperatures

Options
I just tried running in 91 degree weather, and holy cow, it took me like twelve minutes to barely do a mile. Sweating like I've never sweated before! How do you guys manage pulling this off before it gets dark/light outside?!

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I just try not to die! The heat I can handle, but the humidity kills me
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There's no magic trick. I go inside to the treamill, run at 5am or 7pm, or slow waaaay down and reduce my distance. If you move to a hot climate you can adapt somewhat over time, but we can't adapt quickly enough to make much difference during these crazy heat spikes that we've had this summer.
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Unfortunately, these temperatures are very common in the area I'm living in, and the entirety of my life that I've lived here, I've never been able to get used to it. At least there's no humidity, ha. I feel sorry for the ones who do have to deal with that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Loose, light clothing, prehydration, bring water, and rehydrate. If you're going for a while, you must be mindful to replace electrolytes with sports drinks or electrolyte supplements. It's awful at first, but you develop a tolerance to the heat within a couple runs- I swear! If there's heat index warnings or you're very out of shape, switch to a treadmill for the time being.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just try not to die! The heat I can handle, but the humity kills me

Me too. I just get my mileage in and try not to worry about time. I figure it will help me run even faster on the cooler days.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Is it like that year-round though?
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Blah!!! I feel your pain! I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 91 degree temperatures in the middle of August in VA...hot & humid - yuck! I am training for a marathon now and do most of my running on a dreadmill :( It's been toooooo hot here lately. We are just now getting a cooler week of 85-95's.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm a late riser for half the week, so I often run in the blazing heat. For me, the key is extra hydration, sunscreen, a cap & nothing longer than 45 minutes in temperatures above 32. I just spent 2 weeks running in the heat of Greece & those 40 degree days were killer, but still possible, even at 2pm up Mount Taygetos.

And remember:

2vnq8pc.jpg

*wonders if the image fits yet*
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Is it like that year-round though?

Nah, we have some pretty harsh winters for the most part. That's when I actually kick up the running.
    Me too. I just get my mileage in and try not to worry about time. I figure it will help me run even faster on the cooler days.

That's fer darn sure, we just had a break in the heat last week due to rain, I actually broke my record 5K time during that little period. :P
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I run at 5am in the morning. It doesn't cool down enough in the evening for me to run. I live in SC, so I have to battle the heat and humidity. Your running time will definitely decrease with heat and humidity, so you will have to run slower and lower your expectations. If you aren't used to it, you might want to stick with the treadmill.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I run after work (probably about 6:30pm) in Houston, TX. The "feels like" temp is usually around 90+ or so because of the high humidity. This starts in May and ends probably sometime in October. I wear my hair up in a ponytail, headband and loose comfortable clothing. There are quite a few other runners on the trail here at Memorial Park, I guess we just get used to it after awhile. I always feel sorry for the dogs some people bring to go running with them. I don't feel that pets should be subjected. The same goes for runners that have kids in strollers with no kind of hat on, sunglasses for them or shade thingy on the stroller. And no water bottles in sight :mad:
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I try to run at night. The temp. is often still 90+, but at least the sun isn't beating down on you, which seems to help. I am so ready for this heatwave to be over!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite. I can workout in the heat for hours. You won't catch me running 100 meters in the cold! I'm just used to it.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning, starting out before sunrise. Otherwise this desert would vaporize me, lol
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I run in the mornings when it's coolest because here in the Salt Lake Valley, it's been in the mid-to-high 90s (and now we're getting to 100), and it's dry. The problem when it's dry- you don't realize how much you're really sweating, and easily get dehydrated. I've run 2 5Ks since I've moved here, and I've gotten sick both times. Partially because I was dehydrated, partially because needed to replenish electrolytes faster. I've actually had to stop while running errands to get fast food fries for the salt.

My advice- or what I've figured out- Hydrate beforehand, hydrate immediately after. Since I only run 3 miles at a time (or 5Ks when racing), I don't drink water during the race, it gets me out of whack. My hydration after includes both plain water and Gatorade since I need the electrolytes badly. I also carry Clif Shot Blok chews with me- the margarita flavor has extra electrolytes.

Since everyone is different, you'll have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • nuclearbanana
    Options
    Resident of SLC? Hey, me too! (Next month). Tell me, where are the most friendly places for running?
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I'm in central Texas, so by the time I usually run (after 5:00 pm) its 100+ degrees outside. I take a camelback backpack with me. I find it does two things. One, it adds a decent amount of weight to make the runs a bit harder and 2 I can carry a few liters of water to drink along my run. And I place a few NUUN tablets in it for replenishing salts, electrolytes, etc.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    barf. i remember in HS once taking a PE class and they made us run miles when it was 110+ degrees that summer. no thanks. your best bet is to head out early or late and hydrate & replenish. good luck! wear a hat!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have wicked bad asthma so when the air quality is for **** AKA really hot humid or super cold, I can't run or I'll probably have an attack. I normally wait until the early evening hours when it cools down. If it really just ISN'T going to cool down that day then I run on the treadmill. I put the incline to 1.5 in order to simulate outside running better. And my Gym has cool Life Fitness Treadmills that simulate a jogging trail so its less boring.

I get the treadmill just isn't the same tho, even with the incline running outside is twice as hard.

But on really hot days I just go running in as little clothing as possible. Normally a sports bra and shorts. It's not like I'm walking around a gym with a bunch of people gawking at me. Normally I'm really modest but I feel like it's different when you're running on the street. I feel less shy about it.. You could also invest in those underarm shirts. They're special material that help your skin breath.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you don't "die to get healthy"; Running can be brought indoors in some cases... There is a time to let "fitness" take a back seat to "common sense"... There is a point in which it is too dangerous.... We actually have to monitor our temperature before we go out for marching practice and if it is too hot, we cannot do it. Same with sports... Take frequent breaks, plenty of fluids... especially pre-hydration is critical when one exerts himself during hot temperatures...