Weigh Ins.. how often?

Options
A friend of mine suggested not weighing in all the time and I find this really helps me. I know it's good for the accountabilty, but I also find that I get obsessive and over weigh myself at times if I weigh in every week. What do you guys suggest? I want to see if I've been losing over the past couple weeks, but I'm afraid that if I haven't I'll be discouraged and want to stop. I've really started making healthy changes; eating better & exercising most days. I want it to become a lifestyle change and I don't want my success or health to be based on what the number on the scale says. I can already feel my jeans fitting looser..so that's kind of cool! :)

Replies

• Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Thursday morning. Since I'm actively trying to lose weight, it keeps me on track.
  • sunnygirl87
    sunnygirl87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get obsessed and will weigh multiple times during the day. I made a deal to only weigh on Fridays with my pal. So far, I've cheated on that one SEVERAL times. I need the number assurance :) Once a week is optimal.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I step on the scale often to keep myself in check, but I only log in my weight every Sunday morning.
  • ToFatOrNotToFat
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I only keep track of it on the site and on my own personal Excel spreadsheet every Sunday.
  • vidalar
    vidalar Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning after breakfast. No shoes. Same scale. This is what works for me. If healthy changes without weighing is working for you, then go for it! While I am trying to avoid becoming overweight again, the MAIN goal is health. Congratulations on that! :)
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    Once a week!! Every once in a while I'll cheat and see where I'm at during the week though :)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I check my weight daily first thing in the morning but only log them inn mfp once a week.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better with everything Monday-Friday, so Fridays are my weigh in days! If I do it anymore than that, I get way to obsessed!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself twice a week (Tuesdays & Fridays - always in the morning before I eat breakfast!), although I only record my weight here on MFP once a week.
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I check my weight daily, and have seen the fluctuations that's for sure. I only record my Saturday morning weigh in usually. I obsess a little too. I put in my weight twice in one week, and had to change it back.
  • Drawing_a_Blank
    Drawing_a_Blank Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We have a group at work where we weigh in once a week and email a photograph of the scale to each other. We have sworn solemn oaths not to say anything negative about one another's weight, so if someone is holding steady for more than two weeks, we encourage her to keep going; if she's gained a little, we cheer her for what she's accomplished so far; and if she's lost, of course, there are smileys all around!
  • samiamfish23
    Options
    When I was really trying to loose weight, I would weigh in every other Monday. Because I can be obsessive it was really hard to resist every week or every day, but it was worth it. Seeing the scale drop so much every other week was enough for me to keep going. But it sounds like everyone has the right idea, you can do it as much as you want, but choose one day that will be your official day and only let that one count. Your weight will fluctuate daily so dont let that discourage you either. Also make sure its around the same time of day on your offical weigh in date so it makes it more accurate. Good luck!
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I am going to weight myself twice a month. I'm going ot weight myself 2 weeks in the row, starting the week after my period is finished. I wont weight myself in the week leading up to it or during, because I bloat and feel yucky and the times I have weight myself pre period or during, I am always disappointed because I stay the same or gain a couple (up to 7 lbs). Also, I can get obsessive and do it every day and that stops me from feeling like I've lost a lot; I like the "surprise" of seeing bigger numbers coming off.
  • ChelseaGoneAwry
    ChelseaGoneAwry Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Monday mornings when I first wake up, BEFORE I eat anything or work out. Your weight is most accurately measured in the mornings. Plus, it gives me a reason to look forward to Mondays, because I get to see that my hard work is paying off!
  • chanbanan26
    chanbanan26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for your feedback! It's interesting what everyone does. I guess whatever works best for you individually is the way to go :)
  • iloso
    iloso Posts: 156
    Options
    I weigh-in once per week...usually every Wednesdays and I take a picture to put in my collection of my weight loss journey. Sometimes I feel like cheating but then I tell myself (If that scale says you gained 5lbs its the consequence of cheating but if I wait it out and wait for a week my weight will be consistent and accurate).
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I weigh in Saturdays or Sundays after I wake and pee. Same spot and minimal clothing.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think if you cant handle weekly then weigh montlhly if you do what you are supposed to 24-7 then you dont have to worry about not losing weight plus your body doesnt know your weigh in day:) I personally weigh daily actually 3 times a day morning,midday,and night I like to track:) I dont get discouraged so it dosent bother me. I am on a diff weightloss program so I drop weight daily its fun to see the number go down on the scale and I take my inches once a month:)
  • sarahmcp3
    sarahmcp3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself twice a day, morning's when I came home from work and in the evening before I went to work. I found weighing myself before work helped with the temptation to eat unhealthy during my day and since my job was physically active a bit it was fun to see if I worked off any weight during the night. Now I do it once a day. usually in the evening.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    I weight myself once a month on the day i go visit my nutritionist. I love seeing the cumulative loss for the month it really gives me a boost to keep me going. I find that if I weigh in more often I have a more difficult time staying on track.