Art Institute

Options
Alright, I have some questions for you guys. Have any of you attended the Art Institute? There's one in almost every state. My boyfriend is attending this college, and he starts in about a month. He just submitted this question to yahoo: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120709125152AAXRlCP

Look at the bottom response. Do any of you agree? The both of us are becoming very nervous about him going there now. I have also heard stories like this from relatives who went there. If any of you have gone there, please share some of your experiences and give me your opinions on the school. Also, how long did it take them to find you a job like they promised?

Thank you. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    bump
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Don't believe everything they say. I've applied once, but the tuition was so expensve, that I would be basically in dept for a good couple of years if I was lucky. There is a lot of risk involved. Just be objective how much risk you can handle.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im not trying to be mean but this is the truth. I looked into places like ITT tech and stuff like that. They dont care about the students all they care about is making a profit and the stock holders. (most colleges are non profit). They will allow anyone to go and the "credits" they offer will not transfer anywhere. So the best bet would be to find a Community college and see if they have a program you are looking for. (it will be a lot cheaper too).
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Im not trying to be mean but this is the truth. I looked into places like ITT tech and stuff like that. They dont care about the students all they care about us making a profit and stock holders. (most colleges are non profit). They will allow anyone to go and the "credits" they offer will not transfer anywhere. So the best bet would be to find a Community college and see if they have a program you are looking for. (it will be a lot cheaper too).

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell him. I think he's just upset because he really got his hopes up about going to this school. When he spoke with the counselors there, they made it seem so great when really it's the opposite. After reading the reviews (http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/AIOFL_comments.html?page=4&type=&d_school=The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale), I'm pretty certain that he really shouldn't go to that school. I'm going to have to have a talk with him.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I once considered attending that school until I researched it. All I found was how they just care about making money, and push people through regardless of how they do. I would suggest a local community college.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    you'll get a better art education from a state university's art program. plus a viable degree that can be used outside the field for when or if he changes his mind.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    Im not trying to be mean but this is the truth. I looked into places like ITT tech and stuff like that. They dont care about the students all they care about us making a profit and stock holders. (most colleges are non profit). They will allow anyone to go and the "credits" they offer will not transfer anywhere. So the best bet would be to find a Community college and see if they have a program you are looking for. (it will be a lot cheaper too).

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell him. I think he's just upset because he really got his hopes up about going to this school. When he spoke with the counselors there, they made it seem so great when really it's the opposite. After reading the reviews (http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/AIOFL_comments.html?page=4&type=&d_school=The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale), I'm pretty certain that he really shouldn't go to that school. I'm going to have to have a talk with him.

Unfortunately the so called counselors at these schools, and I have done them all, are just basically sales people that will say anything to get you in the door. A community college or at least something online that is regionally accredited is the best bet according to what I have researched and heard from others.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    That's exactly what I was thinking, and most of the reviews also say that. From what I've read, it seems that the staff at those schools truly do not care about their students. They just want their money.