Don't worry: we're all doomed, anyway. . . eventually

Options
dpwellman
dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
"Fat Is Officially Incurable (According to Science)"

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fat-officially-incurable-according-to-science/

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I saw this. It is stupid. I don't believe it at all. Look at people 100 years ago... were they all morbidly obese? No. 'Fat' isn't incurable.. no one wants the cure...because the 'cure' is hard work! No one wants to work hard, they want to take a pill, and wake up the next day skinny and hot and w/e else..

*that is why we should all be proud of ourselves for doing this the hard way.
  • EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I saw this. It is stupid. I don't believe it at all. Look at people 100 years ago... were they all morbidly obese? No. 'Fat' isn't incurable.. no one wants the cure...because the 'cure' is hard work! No one wants to work hard, they want to take a pill, and wake up the next day skinny and hot and w/e else..

*that is why we should all be proud of ourselves for doing this the hard way.

Agree 100%.
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In evolutionary terms, human beings are mostly the same organisms that we were 1000's of years ago. Our environment is completely different in terms of activities (expenditure) and food resources (intake). If we get back to the basics, we can thrive. Eat like your ancestors.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I may never become thin (much less stay thin), but I need to be better than I am currently. I'm better than I was a year ago. I hope I can say the same thing next year, and the year after that. I'm not going to let a study discourage me. I think it is discouragement and my giving into it that has caused me to fail in the past, not the inevitability of failure. I refuse to become discouraged this time. I absolutely, positively, refuse. So it is now written, and so it shall be done!
  • bodsmack7958
    bodsmack7958 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good for you Helen
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    I'm not sure i would take advice from cracked.com seriously :)
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure i would take advice from cracked.com seriously :)

haha exactly
  • AKAJaneRandom
    Options
    Is it hard? Of course. Do people do it? Yes! My sister in law lost 60 pounds twenty years ago and kept it off. It can be done. Cracked is a hilariously funny website but I'll get my motivation from other places.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The linked articles are actually really interesting, which i wasn't expecting from cracked o_O

Basically, it suggests that if you have ever been fat and lost the weight, you're always going to have to put in more effort to keep that weight off than someone of the same size who has never been fat.

That conclusion seemed fairly anecdotal. I've never been fat and I've always had to put in at least an hour a day of exercise and less than 1800 cals in order to not get fat.

Still, it is useful to know that, yeah, got to keep up the lifestyle.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    The gist is: it's not impossible for an obese person to become non obese and stay non obese (permanently), it's just highly improbable.

On a side note, my own education suggested that the longer one was fat the harder it will be to 1) become non-fat and then 2) stay that way. Case and point: I was only 280 for less than maybe three years and I lost 60 lbs in less than a year, but the next 60 has been sheer hell to get off (three years and counting). The sample size of one bears that out. Or to put it another way: I've always told people: "expect to take as long losing the weight as it took putting it on."

Oh, and another thing: the life expectancy 100 years ago was 54 years, so maybe some things have changed in 100 years.