body wrap in Plastic, etc.

Options
Because i was so heavy, I have this giant ......bag???.......of skin/celulite on my inner thighs, as well as my stomach has a cushion of skin/ maybe some fat that Just don't seem to go away. I have been doing Crunches, I have been doing specific inner thigh work outs including fast walking, step arobics, jogging, lifting wieghts with my legs in a position to work the inner thigh muschles..and this just won't go away. I was in CVS the other day I picked up a "fat burning belt" that you wear around your belly and it is supposed to over heat that section of your body causing some of the fat to melt as they say away. Not really sure I believe this, but willing to try it because I need to do something. So my question is..If I use the belt on my stomach, and wrap my thighs tightly in Plastic wrap will this cause me legs and belly to get smaller? Will this actually move, remove, or melt away some of the fat cells and celulite that is there? Has anyone tried this?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's going to make you sweat excessively, but sadly the fat won't just "melt away".
    I think you've been scammed!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    sorry, but no, it won't melt any fat. You'll simply sweat more.
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    It did not make any sense to me, so that is why I am asking on here!
    Thank you for your responses
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Short answer: NO

Long answer: Yes, sorta. I used to get body wraps years ago and they do actually 'work' in the sense that they temporarily compress your fat so that you do temporarily lose inches. And by temporarily I mean 72 hours up to a week, max. At the salon/spa I went to they used ace bandages soaked in a 'special herbal treatment' (I forget exactly what was in it besides Epsom salt) and they wrapped you up pretty snug from neck to ankles. Then you'd lay down for 45 minutes or so. It really was remarkable how much it compressed the fat down. Also, it was great for my skin, made it really soft.

I've been thinking about getting them done again because a friend of mine who lost over 100 pounds got them twice a month while she was losing weight, she said it helped to keep her skin tight. I've got really good skin elasticity for a 40 year old but still, since I'm losing over 100 pounds I'm concerned about sagging skin. The body wraps at a spa are so expensive nowadays! About $100 a pop. So if I start doing them again I'll probably just buy some ace bandages and stuff and have my husband wrap me up.

I would stay away from plastic! Google DIY body wraps for some ideas :)
  • jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi I looked into this also as i was told by a frrind that their coach used to make them run while wearing a garbage bag ,
    so I googled a few things which then seemed to have made more sense , You are going to loose water / electrolytes through additional sweating but it also stated that this will be then put back on with your next drink / meal and is only a short term success.

as to the belt i am not sure it is all up in the air for me also
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Short answer: NO

Long answer: Yes, sorta. I used to get body wraps years ago and they do actually 'work' in the sense that they temporarily compress your fat so that you do temporarily lose inches. And by temporarily I mean 72 hours up to a week, max. At the salon/spa I went to they used ace bandages soaked in a 'special herbal treatment' (I forget exactly what was in it besides Epsom salt) and they wrapped you up pretty snug from neck to ankles. Then you'd lay down for 45 minutes or so. It really was remarkable how much it compressed the fat down. Also, it was great for my skin, made it really soft.

I've been thinking about getting them done again because a friend of mine who lost over 100 pounds got them twice a month while she was losing weight, she said it helped to keep her skin tight. I've got really good skin elasticity for a 40 year old but still, since I'm losing over 100 pounds I'm concerned about sagging skin. The body wraps at a spa are so expensive nowadays! About $100 a pop. So if I start doing them again I'll probably just buy some ace bandages and stuff and have my husband wrap me up.

I would stay away from plastic! Google DIY body wraps for some ideas :)

this sounds somewhat similar to the itWorks wraps. there are a few of my friends that use and sell these... funny part? these people endorse these products and swear by them yet they are overweight and/or unhappy with the way they look. i'm not saying they absolutely do not work because i've only tried 2. yes, i lost inches, but i gained them back from poor diet (when my husband returned from deployment we got food happy... LOL).
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Very interesting......So they are not good sales people for the product they are trying to sell....Hum....So it does work for a temporary time? interesting....This is really agrivating..The whole purpose of loosing this weight not only for my health, but also to look good is being defeated by this...And it just won't go away! UHG!!!!!
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    Very interesting......So they are not good sales people for the product they are trying to sell....Hum....So it does work for a temporary time? interesting....This is really agrivating..The whole purpose of loosing this weight not only for my health, but also to look good is being defeated by this...And it just won't go away! UHG!!!!!

I have the same issue with the skin (i have it on my stomach and inner thighs). My doctor told me the best thing I can do is apply lotion as often as possible and drink plenty of water and get plenty of calcium I think she said. I have noticed since I started doing more intense exercises (i'm doing p90x) my stomach has started to lift. I still have a long ways to go, but i'm hoping that will help a little. I think the wraps work if you use them consistently. I just can't afford the $25 a pop to use them every single week or whatever. I have two children and we are a single income family. Other things take priority. LOL Good luck to you!!
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Thank you so much Marie, Something has got to work. I feel like the Jello commercial when I walk or work out..You know the old jingle? " Watch it wiggle, see it Jiggle? LOL
  • darcygooding
    Options
    LOL! I remember seeing that on an episode of real housewives. Pretty sure it's probably a scam.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    Thank you so much Marie, Something has got to work. I feel like the Jello commercial when I walk or work out..You know the old jingle? " Watch it wiggle, see it Jiggle? LOL

LOL yeah i feel like that sometimes. i feel FANTASTIC when i'm clothed and nobody can see the jiggle, but let's be honest here... it's in the triple digits with the temps here in kentucky lately. tank tops and shorts come out when we're just sitting around at home. i feel sorry for my neighbors who have to see me... LOL
  • coalboilermanBryan
    Options
    Marie, OMG....yes....this heat is horrible. Today has been cool for once. we have never spent so many days above 98, and this past weekend three days in a row over 100! I don't like our cold weather in winter, or the heat of summer. I guess I need to move to San Francisco! I was told they get all the way down to 55 in winter and all the way up to 75 in summer. I could live with that for sure!
    Your neighbors will have to live there as mine do around here! If they don't like it, don't look! Besides I am helping them with their own diets because they just look at me and either get sick to their stomach, or tell them selves...That is what I am headed for, and they through out those chips! LOL
    Bryan
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    Marie, OMG....yes....this heat is horrible. Today has been cool for once. we have never spent so many days above 98, and this past weekend three days in a row over 100! I don't like our cold weather in winter, or the heat of summer. I guess I need to move to San Francisco! I was told they get all the way down to 55 in winter and all the way up to 75 in summer. I could live with that for sure!
    Your neighbors will have to live there as mine do around here! If they don't like it, don't look! Besides I am helping them with their own diets because they just look at me and either get sick to their stomach, or tell them selves...That is what I am headed for, and they through out those chips! LOL
    Bryan

bahaha you are nuts. LOL i'm sure they aren't thinking negatively about anything. if anything, i bet they are like "wow! he looks fantastic!" i know my neighbor tells me all the time how proud she is of me and her cousin once told me that my body is her "ideal" body. they don't think the negative things we do about ourselves. they see happy, healthy, and fit while we see the excess skin. LOL :happy:
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also, forget crunches and "thigh specific" exercises. You can't target fat, and if you want to burn some, your time will be better spent doing exercise that works big muscle groups, like squats, pushups, pull ups...

If you can get your body fat tested, that would give you a good idea where you stand too. Losing the extra subcutaneous fat helps a lot with skin tightness at that point.

Good luck!
  • cdnwinter79
    Options
    Yeah, I don't believe it for a second.

1. Where does the fat actually go? If it's not in that exact spot anymore, it's gotta be somewhere else now.
    2. How does it actually make your skin tighter besides more squished together? Your skin cells don't just "disappear".

I know it's extreme, but it's also something I've considered since I have 150lbs or so to lose, but once you get to your goal weight and toned up as much as possible, but what about a skin tuck? Is that something that could be in the cards?

The only other thing that I can think of without googling it myself, is to just continue with the weight training and toning, maybe it's just taking your skin longer to figure out that there's too much of it?
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    Yeah, I don't believe it for a second.

1. Where does the fat actually go? If it's not in that exact spot anymore, it's gotta be somewhere else now.
    2. How does it actually make your skin tighter besides more squished together? Your skin cells don't just "disappear".

I know it's extreme, but it's also something I've considered since I have 150lbs or so to lose, but once you get to your goal weight and toned up as much as possible, but what about a skin tuck? Is that something that could be in the cards?

The only other thing that I can think of without googling it myself, is to just continue with the weight training and toning, maybe it's just taking your skin longer to figure out that there's too much of it?

i've been told by my mom i should just have it "cut off", but i'd prefer boobs if i'm going to get a surgery... mines are going to be extinct fairly soon... LOL
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All you lose is water weight. Comes right back. Did you really think this would do what diet and hard work at the gym would do?? The longer you spend chasing the false lure of silver bullets the longer it's going to take you to get focused on what you really need to do. Eat in a calorie deficit and get exercise.
  • CalWalker
    CalWalker Posts: 16
    Options
    after large weight losses you have to have skin and fat removed by surgery. the stomach flap is called the pannus and is typically removed via surgery as i said earlier.
  • marie_cressman
    Options
    after large weight losses you have to have skin and fat removed by surgery. the stomach flap is called the pannus and is typically removed via surgery as i said earlier.

is this a necessity? will this never go away even with exercise? when i mentioned my "flaps" to my doctor, she said "lotion, water, calcium". i completed Insanity recently and I am doing p90x and while no my tummy flap isn't "gone", it is MUCH smaller than it was and my stomach is slowly lifting in a way. do i think it will completely vanish? no, actually i think the skin is something ill always have and i've accepted that (i think...lol)