Ad Ripper X

Started doing ad ripper x today. Couldn't even get through all the reps so I'm feeling kind of discouraged. Going to continue with it though. Anyone else have experiences with this particular exercise?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Why are you discouraged. It's an extremely hard 15 mins of ab work. If you could have easily gotten thru it your first time out then you probably wouldn't have needed to do it in the first place.

Keep at it, pause for rest when you need to, and then get back to it. It'll get easier. Well, sort of. Just don't get discouraged.

I still hate the 50 Russian twists at the end.
  • I don't know. I guess I just have this sense if I don't do all the reps perfectly it won't work for me. Think I'm just being dramatic. Lol
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Im close to my 60 day and I still can't do the whole 25 reps I always do 15 some times 20 and yes it's hard but you will get there!!
  • teamturbo
    teamturbo Posts: 6
    i love p90x, but im still struggling on some exercises, i also have bad knees. Do you have the free coach it comes with?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I don't know. I guess I just have this sense if I don't do all the reps perfectly it won't work for me. Think I'm just being dramatic. Lol

LOL! Doing all the reps you can manage is, by definition, what's perfect for you. Every time you pause, catch your breath and start up again is like you customizing the workout for your personal skill level. Keep in mind that all these extreme dvds like P90 or Insanity have to be made so that they are challenging to extremely fit people. So it's gonna kill you and me starting out. But that's great, because it gives us room to get better.

The struggle is what makes achievement feel so good. Start looking forward to the struggle. The achievement will make you smile for 30 seconds right before you go online and start Googling a harder ab dvd. But the struggle will always be with you, making you better every single time out.
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    I agree with what other posters have said! It is a hard workout, just remember 'to keep pressing play!' lol!

Seriously though, just keep at it and over time try to increase the amount of reps you are doing - you will get stronger and be able to do more which is good because it gives you something to keep working towards :smile:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    If you could do the entire workout the first time, there wouldn't be much room for improvement. Those DVDs are designed to accommodate a range of fitness types and to still be challenging as you progress.

Try doing something like the first 10 reps in a set, pause for 5, then the last 10. Slowly work up to less pauses.

Good luck!
  • How long did it take you guys to do 15 reps? I've been doing it for a few days now and with the exception of the first three exercises, I can barely squeak out 5 reps on the later more difficult exercises (i.e. v-up roll up and pulse ups)
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    ARX is haaard. I certainly didn't do all the reps the first couple of weeks, but I can now after doing them on and off for 3 months. Stick with it!
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    I like Ab Ripper X. Very effective to me. It gets easier over time, just keep at it and don't give up. You'll notice improvements gradually. If some parts seem too difficult, modify.