Fitbit device - do they help?

Options
I have just placed an order - I wonder if it will make a difference - it sounds like a neat gadget but does paying money make you excercise more?
I have previously failed previous pedometers - dropped, fill into the loo, lost interest.
What do you think?

Replies

• jody2807
    jody2807 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am keeping an eye on this I was tempted also to purchase may just see what everyone else has to say
  • rayita001
    rayita001 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Me too. I want to see if it is worth the investment.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I bought one for my wife a couple of weeks ago and she is loveing it now. took a couple of days. but yes it does encourage her to exercise more.

Before any one comments I have a Body Media.and so I am into the exercise thing as well.
  • twinkletoes66
    twinkletoes66 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit & joined Mfp 125 days ago! Omg it's made such a difference to me , it encourages & motivates me to be more active! Defiantly worth it!
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've had one since end of January & love it! Since then I've bought 4 others for friends that I couldn't get motivated.... even my lazy BF...It certainly did the trick. Seems like when you see the graphs and realize how much sitting around you really do.... you HAVE to change things!! I'm sure you will enjoy it!
  • russinman
    russinman Posts: 2
    Options
    I have had mine for a month and it really gives you alot of encouragement!! LOVE the graphs and how it automatically integrates with myfitnesspal!!
  • Karenannmo
    Karenannmo Posts: 118
    Options
    I got one as a gift and I love it. It really makes you move. I check on during the day to make sure I'm moving enough, I aim for 10,000 steps daily....it really makes you aware of how much your moving.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Love mine! I check it all day long and am really bummed if I forget to carry it for any amount of time. I'm always looking to best my own personal benchmarks - so YES, it is worth it!
  • fltwins918
    fltwins918 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I got mine in May and have lost 13 lbs since getting it! I love it! I challenge myself to try and break my own records and find myself randomly walking around my house just to get to the next ### step. I also like competing with others so that motivates me to move more. It was definitely worth the investment :)
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Love mine!. It is the best little motivator. I'm always looking for more ways to get in steps. The challenges from Fitbit are fun too.
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I got one in May and LOVE it!! It really does keep me motivated and pushes me to move more and I challenge myself to get more steps each day. I also love how it syncs with MFP.

I highly recommend it!! Enjoy
  • daisyhougan
    Options
    Mine was a gift for Christmas since family knew I was trying to exercise more. I'm not sure I would have bought it on my own then (I had similar experiences with previous "pedometers"---they'd break, fall off, whatever, I'd lose interest) but I love my Fitbit. Initially, I loved the fact that I could track my exercise on the computer and felt it challenged me to move more. Now I also love that it gives me more accurate account of my activity level. Love it and totally recommend it.
  • Monalisa85
    Monalisa85 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I got mine back in April and it helps me immensely! I too had gone through many pedometers only to have them not work accurately but the Fitbit is the best investment I've made for myself and it keeps me encouraged cause you see when you need to get moving; perhaps that wasn't a problem for you but until I got my Fitbit, I hadn't really realized how much exercise, walking, etc. I WAS NOT getting! Due to back surgeries, rotator cuff surgery, hip damage and Fibromyalgia, insomnia and just NO ENERGY, I had found myself getting less and less mobility. I'm 57 and I am reclaiming my health and my life back! Hope this will help someone out there.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have had one since late may, and I have lost 9 pounds ( as of friday). It is interesting to see how active I am on my active days--yesterday I took 3 kids to the zoo and by 2pm I had walked almost 14,000 steps. I had a fitbit adjustment of almost 1,000 calories yesterday. Even more interesting to see how sedentary I am on my lazy days. IMO looking at the fitbit info allows me to adjust my eating for my activity level.

My fitbit basically does not leave my person except for charging. I clip it to the center of my bra and mostly forget about it.
  • nikkibello
    nikkibello Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had one but unfortunately it stopped working in less than a week. It was kind of cool, it showed steps taken, stairs climbed and when you plug it in it syncs with mfp so you'll see the additional cals burned. Personally I didn't think it was worth replacing and ended up getting a polar hrm instead which I love bc it tells you exact cals burned, not an approximate like the fitbit of the cardio equiptment....
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Had it for a month and I started losing again. Now, if I haven't met my Fitbit goals, I'm back on the treadmill or going up and down my stairs, or walking around my coffee table before I go to bed- all in an effort to meet those Fitbit goals. I love it. It's motivational. And it's fun. Not a lot of gadgets greet you in the morning by saying, "Let's walk" or "BonJour". This thing is an expensive gadget, but it's so fun and it does what I bought it for.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I had one but unfortunately it stopped working in less than a week. It was kind of cool, it showed steps taken, stairs climbed and when you plug it in it syncs with mfp so you'll see the additional cals burned. Personally I didn't think it was worth replacing and ended up getting a polar hrm instead which I love bc it tells you exact cals burned, not an approximate like the fitbit of the cardio equiptment....

you should have emailed customer service...they probably would have mailed you a free replacement.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Thinking of investing in one... but its undecided between a HRM or fitbit.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to do cardio by walking, running and/or biking, the Fitbit is fantastic. Its effortless tracking. You don't even have to take it out of your pocket to log your activity. I wear mine all day and when I go home, it comes to within 15 feet of the antenna and uploads all the data.

Poof. By the time I sit down to check my e-mail, I know how many additional calories I can allow myself for dinner.

:bigsmile:

Loooove the fitbit.

It doesn't come with instructions and learning all the features took me a few frustrating trys but it was well worth it. All the answers are here in the MFP forums.
  • stuntpilot51
    stuntpilot51 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit!

Especially yesterday when it doubled my exercise calories for some strange reason.

And NO! I didn't eat them back.