Hate getting off at 10pm!

Options
So I work Eve shift at a nursing home where I am on my feel for give or take 5-6 hours out of my 8 hour shift taking care of people, lifting, bathing, ext...and I just got home I am STARVING no kidding so I munched on PB and now just ate Special K cereal I feel horrible with it being so late at night. It's not the eating that make me upset its how late it is and Im tired and want to go to bed but my tummy is screaming at me lol I just hate EVE shift with a passion GRR... -_-

Any one else work crazy hours which gets in the way with your diet?

I hate the guilty feeling of "I just ruined my day by eating at 11pm) UGH Its hard to stay on track Late night eating is def. my obstacle to overcome.

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I USED to be an Assistant Manager at Sbarro and always worked 12 hour shifts and was the closing manager, so I didn't get home until 11pm sometimes. And during the holidays it was horrible, we would close @ 10 and reopen at like 2 in the morning. I would be starving, and unfortunately I had lots of yucky food right infront of me. I def packed on some weight working there. I tried to stick with salads but when you're there so long you really just wanna fill up and fill up quick cause it's busy. I know how you feel too you just want to go to bed, but then you eat and then I got wide awake ugh it sucks just thinking about it! lol. Just keep like snacks on you, hopefully you can snack a little, bring like grapes or some fruit or some other healthy snacks to keep you energized and running all day! Good luck! Once you find something that really works it will be awesome!
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Better than not getting off at all....er...sorry....It's been awhile and I've got gutterbrain
  • robertthesnail
    Options
    I never bought in to the whole "eating at night ruins your diet" thing. As long as you're staying within your calorie limit it shouldn't matter when you consume the calories.
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    are you documenting your work as exercise..believe it or not..all that lifting and pulling and pushing...is exercise. I used to work night shift at nursing home..i got to be so toned up by all the lifting. You're body is just telling you it's hungry. I wouldn't fret about it, it's not like you had a huge binge. :-)
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are on his 2nd shift sched, but we don't let it get in the way... Breakfast is at 1030am and dinner is at 1030pm.... We just work with it! We don't go to bed till about 2am and get up around 10 am so it works for us....
  • lasim26
    lasim26 Posts: 6
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts, a combination of days and nights. I don't have a problem eating late at night as long as you haven't gone over your daily allotment of calories. Is it easier to save a few hundred for when you know you are going to be hungry when you get home? I eat a piece of fruit for dinner at work and then eat my actual dinner when I get home, usually around 9 pm. If I eat at 5 when my break is, I'm just as hungry when I get home and could easily eat another dinner. Try spacing small meals throughout the day and perhaps you can ward off the night time binge. Good luck!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My schedule is totally wacko - and I'm self employed so it's my own fault. :ohwell:

I tend to do meetings, phone calls, and emails midday through afternoon, spend the evening with my family, and then start working again around 10 on projects and stay up all kinds of crazy hours. If I'm up until 3 am, I get hungry!

I'm trying out a new thing, since my schedule has no consistency, and I'm going to log food midnight to midnight. So if I have some cereal or a pb sandwich tonight at 2 or 3 am I'm going to log it for Tuesday and not today. I'm not sure what difference it will make, but want to try it out and see if this can help stop my habit of going over 200-400 calories a day (defeating my deficit completely!)

I agree that finding soothing that works for you is the key.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are on his 2nd shift sched, but we don't let it get in the way... Breakfast is at 1030am and dinner is at 1030pm.... We just work with it! We don't go to bed till about 2am and get up around 10 am so it works for us....

That's almost my exact schedule. Lol. I get off at 11pm though. I'm not so lucky that my husband works the same shift though. His is constantly changing and even includes third shifts. Eating late at night hasn't hampered my fitness journey one bit. (It is annoying though to feel like you're stuffing your face before going to bed.)
  • kpierce7188
    kpierce7188 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive counted it all and I've got the calories for it I just hate the eating right before bed time I always feel "heavy" afterwards. I brought snacks into work and stayed hydrated I think I burnt everything I consumed today lol plus it was 100 degrees here ( don't know if that can contribute to anything but thought I would throw it in there)
  • kpierce7188
    Options
    Better than not getting off at all....er...sorry....It's been awhile and I've got gutterbrain

HA isnt this the truth
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am happy to 'get-off' at anytime! But hey, that's just me!
  • kais79
    kais79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I work 12 hour overnight shifts and I just changed to tracking food from midnight to midnight as it seems it might be easier doing it that way than 'pretending' my 'breakfast' is at 5pm. It already seems to be making it easier when switching from work to time off and back since I don't always sleep all day on my days off. I, also, have chosen to ignore the possible myth of eating before going to sleep. I seem to be losing weight just fine as long as I stay within my allowance. Good luck!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    if your always working late then change your routine where you wake up kindy late eat breakfast, then at work eat lunch and then when you get home eat dinner and then stay up for a few hours like if you got home around 5-7 pm
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I work graveyards right now from 10pm-6am. I have accustomed myself to this, though. I also have to add that I go to school full time, and work out 6 days a week. I also volunteer for a number of non-profit organizations on my free time.

I wake up and eat my first meal around 4pm. meal 2 at 7pm (after the gym). Meal 3 at 10pm (start of my shift). Meal 4 at 1am. Meal 5 at 4am. and I have a protein shake (water and protein powder) about 30 minutes before bed at 7. I have successfully lost all of the weight I aimed for so far while on this schedule.

You just need to learn to pack lunches and snacks. I use my days off to cook for the week. All of my meats, portioning, etc.

You can do it. But it takes time and energy.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hate getting off at 10pm!

Lucky you! Many of my ex's never got off :D
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

^ This. I was going to say.....I don't really care when I get off.....as long as I do...
  • kpierce7188
    Options
    Yea throwing in school in Aug is going to make things even more challenging. I wish I could sleep in and have a late breakfast but with 3 little ones and a dog they don't like mommy to sleep in LOL
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am happy to 'get-off' at anytime! But hey, that's just me!
    :laugh:
  • kpierce7188
    Options
    If only that's the "getting off" I was reffering too LMAO things wouldnt be so bad then =p
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I once read a book from the national food association and clearly stated that it matters not at which hours you eat (specifically late night), really, i think that's a reliable source, i personally do think too, it really does not matter much.