Running in inhuman temperatures

Options
2»

Replies

• wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    its 90+ degrees here (cool days 85) with 100% humidity year round. I have to run outside because thats how we pt test. So i get up at 445 am every morning (6 days a week) and run. I drink water all day long and no you dont get used to it.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    slow down and rehydrate. If you can, run when the sun isn't beating down on you and if you feel comfortable, running without a shirt helps a lot.

We just had a week of 90+ with tropical humidity and I ran outside every day and actually got some good workouts in. I am not a hot weather runner at all. I prefer 40F as I am an efficient sweater :) Running in heat/humidity is the poor man's altitude training. Just be smart about it
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Resident of SLC? Hey, me too! (Next month). Tell me, where are the most friendly places for running?

I live a bit south of SLC, but I'm in the county and the valley. :smile: I just run on the sidewalk now. The Jordan River Trailway is supposed to be really nice, but it's closed near where I live. Liberty Park in SLC is also supposed to be really nice.

I'm kinda new here, so I'm still figuring it out! If you're on Meetup.com, there's a group for running in SLC too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There's a great topic with tips for running in the heat here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512826-running-tip-hot-weather-running?hl=running+hot

Personally I can't take the heat - I was out for my run at 6:15 this morning, and the sun was still hitting me like a fireball by the time I got home. I need to get out there before the sun comes up over the mountains. :tongue:
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I just try and do my runs at 5am. I ran one day last week at 7:30 at night and it was still 96 degrees out. I thought I was going to die. I just slowed my pace way down and took my time.