Bruising Easily

Options
Ever since I started dieting and exercising more I've noticed that I've been bruising really easily. If I get knocked by my bike a bit while I'm walking it out of the drive I end up with bruises all over my leg. I have so many bruises now - my boyfriend even commented on it the other day. I never used to bruise easily - could this be to do with my diet? I try to eat clean, eat around 1400 calories/day (net) and eat back my exercise calories.

Replies

• bellaburch85
    Options
    Wow, i was about to post the same thing!
    I dont understand it! at the moment i have 3! One on the back of my knee, One on my hip and one on my arm!

Im eating roughly around the same amount as you, eating cleaning most of the time and working out 4 times a week!

Ill be watchign this topic! Thanks for posting and im glad some1 else has got it too! ;0)
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    there are many things that can cause easy bruising... from simple (anemia) to VERY complex (leukemia)... I can't offer an answer without knowing more about your specific nutrient levels daily...

I would definately recomend at least talking to your dr about this... simple blood tests can clue you in to an answer :)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your Iron. If it's too low, that might be the reason. Sometimes bruising easily can also be a sign of a serious medical issue. If it continues, I would suggest seeing your doctor.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Go see your dr. It may well be something simple but if you start bruising more easily it should always be investigated as it can also be a sign of more serious conditions.
  • Barkley87
    Barkley87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll book an appointment with my doctor asap!
  • sarahjenkins77
    sarahjenkins77 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    be interested to hear how you get on as i've noticed a similar problem for the last month but cant get an appt with my doctors for 3 weeks :-(
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I bruise like a peach, always have. If it continues to be a non-dangerous issue, use arnica cream (not gel). It will fade the bruises quicker :)
  • Barkley87
    Options
    be interested to hear how you get on as i've noticed a similar problem for the last month but cant get an appt with my doctors for 3 weeks :-(

I doubt I'll be able to get one for a while too. Hopefully I'll be able to get in next week.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I always bruise easy especially the first couple years after having a baby. It a heredity thing as my mum is the same but when it started happening I did get it checked out at the doctors and got the all clear.

I had one bruise on my leg that took 4 months to totally clear and one time my friend took me to one side as they thought my hubby was beating me up. Most of the time I dont know how I get them but the weight machines at the gyms are the main culprits on my shins.
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    If you are not getting enough vitimans that will cause bruising as well.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Check vitamin C levels.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Vitamin K deficiency can lead to easy bruising. It helps the blood coagulate, if you lack it you will bruise or bleed easily. This Wikipedia article suggests some foods that contains Vitamin K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K

As you'll see it's things like kale and broccoli. It won't ruin your diet and it is healthy, so while you wait for your doctor's appointment it will not harm you to eat more of them.

I hope that's all you will need: some more greens in the diet! Good luck :)
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Check vitamin C levels.

It's definitely not this. I eat so much vitamin C.
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Vitamin K deficiency can lead to easy bruising. It helps the blood coagulate, if you lack it you will bruise or bleed easily. This Wikipedia article suggests some foods that contains Vitamin K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K

As you'll see it's things like kale and broccoli. It won't ruin your diet and it is healthy, so while you wait for your doctor's appointment it will not harm you to eat more of them.

I hope that's all you will need: some more greens in the diet! Good luck :)

I also eat lots of broccoli, asparagus and spinach, so I don't think it's that either :(
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been like this most of my life and it was always due to anemia. However, since I started working out more it seems to have gotten worse. I have several small bruises on my arms, legs, and knee caps and I don't know where they came from. I try to eat a lot of dark green veggies to help.
  • Barkley87
    Options
    Start tracking your Iron. If it's too low, that might be the reason. Sometimes bruising easily can also be a sign of a serious medical issue. If it continues, I would suggest seeing your doctor.

I've just looked at my iron and it always seems really low. So that could be it.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I never used to bruise when I was big, I'd get a knock somewhere and I'd really hurt, as if I had a bruise, but there'd be nothing there. Only now that I've lost the weight, I've started to properly bruise! It's strange
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some people are like that, if you brush by me I'll get a bruise, mind you I'm a very fair redhead. But I have noticed more bruises since I started working out.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I tend to get bruises too. I agree with checking Iron levels. Also protein. I have started using Shaklee multivitamins as well as their protein shakes, and have found that a) I don't get sick very often any more and b) I don't bruise as much either.
    Ask your friends about good quality vitamins/ supplements and what their results have been. They're more expensive then the Walgreens brand, but its worth it because they will work better!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You are doing good going to see the doctor, it's most likely anemia/low iron, so don't freak yourself out thinking cancer, it's just better to be safe than sorry.