Having trouble eating all of my calories

Options
Hello,
I am starting out at an obese almost 400 pounds (ugh!!!). I used the BMR tool and it said my BMR is 2600 calories. I also did a calculation of BMR using an equation I found on another site before I knew MFP had such a simple tool, lol, and it was the same, right around 2600. Normally, I do probably eat way over 2600 calories. On a normal day, I eat whatever junk I want and don't pay attention to the calories, so I would say I eat maybe a 4000-5000 calorie per day diet. But now that I am trying to get healthy, I'm finding it hard to eat 2600 calories. I have also been swimming laps for an hour and doing 30 minutes of cardio per day so it tells me I'm burning around 1500 calories. I've been eating meals like grilled chicken with brown rice and veggies, or shrimp and whole wheat pasta, etc, lots more whole grains and fruits and veggies than I ever used to eat. I'm usually at under 1,000 calories per day.

It's my understanding that you HAVE to eat at least your BMR in calories, right? If I don't it's unhealthy and my body can go into starvation mode, right? (although I find it hard to believe my body even has a starvation mode!! lol) So do I just stop worrying about eating healthy and go for higher calorie foods, like butter, regular carbs, etc? Or is there some kind of "healthy" way to eat 2,600 calories per day? Thanks for any help!! :)

Replies

• kathyxtrieu
    Options
    Hello!
    I can't be of much help, but here's what I know (:
    Do not eat under 1000 (I bet you've figured that out!) I just posted a topic about my own caloric intake, so I've gotten some great advice about avoiding starvation mode.

What I can help with is pointing out some great, healthy food with more calories.
    Peanut Butter - 100 calories per tablespoon
    Other Nut Butters and Nuts - same
    Coconut -
    ........Coconut Butter - 100 calories per tablespoon
    ........Coconut Juice - 60 calories per 8oz
    ........Coconut - not sure, but a lot!
    Bananas - 100 calories medium size
    Dates
    LaraBars
    Avocado

Whole Wheat Pasta

You can even try to trick yourself into eating more calories by incorporating these into your meals.
    Like blending cashews and milk to make a creamy pasta sauce or using peanuts in an asian stir fry.
    Make Guacamole! Or use the avocados in sandwiches. Blend an avocado smoothie?
    You can also use a food processor to process shredded coconut, dates, nuts, and peanut butter to make bars or balls.
    Maybe try a protein smoothie with a protein powder, peanut butter, and banana?

I like these because they don't make me full easily (even though others think they do) and they're delicious :O
    I just like talking about food haha... I hope this helps in some way (:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You should probably see a doctor or nutritionalist for proper advice, but I believe that someone starting at your weight can safely eat below bmr. What does mfp have your calorie goal set at? If you can't get to a professional, I would start with where mfp sets you and then adjust from there if you do not get the results you want. Following mfp's recommendations works for me, but not everyone is the same.
  • hurricanehodz
    Options
    Mfp suggested my intake should be around 1240, i struggle sometimes especially as i exercise 6 days a week. I try to plan my meals the day before so im not eating loads in the evening but space it out through the day (5meals) A protein shake can add up to like 200cal if you want it too, and some homemade well thought out snacks can come in really handy. Just try not to go below 1200 as thats what the body needs to function unless you want mood swings and all other nasty stuff.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    as the above poster says add more nuts/seeds, also get proffesional advice. My one tip would be to weigh and measure EVERYTHING, and check what you add to your diary, for instance you could search for chicken breast and get 20+ results all with very different calorific values, it may be that you are actualy eating more or less than you think, I try not to use "chicken breast medium/small" etc and try to find one where you can add the specific weight as it will be more accurate, hope that makes sense and good luck with your goals
  • tkbronico
    tkbronico Posts: 58
    Options
    Try adding small, healthy snacks in during the day. I love adding an apple, cut in half with the seed section taken out and the space missing filled in with peanut butter. It will add about 250 calories, keep you full from the protein and still be a healthy snack. Protein powder will add calories too and help build lean muscle as you work out. I love 1/2 cup yougurt, 1 cup frozen fruit 1/2 cup water and a scoop of protein powder blended into a smoothie...healthy calories. Good luck!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am not sure your estimates of what you eat can be correct. I checked what MFP would put a meal of 2 cups of brown rice and 200 gram of grilled chicken breast, and it came out at over 900 calories. If you eat two meals like that a day, and a breakfast of around 400 calories, you'll be well above 2000 calories in one day. This is without sauces, snacks, fruit, milk, juice or anything else you'll add in a day.

I recommend that you make certain to write everything into the diary, and to note the amounts you eat as well as the quality of what you eat. Also, add everything you drink, and if you have a snack of some kind, make sure you get that into the list.

If your amounts are so small that you still can't get over 1000 calories a day, I recommend that you eat much more often. This is also how doctors recommend that we eat: 5-6 times a day. This may help you get a better balance of what you eat, greater variety and help you down a few more calories than you used to, without having to go back to junk food.

Good luck!