HELP! Mums with young school kids who will understand

Options
Hi,
Im a 37 year old female that is sick and tired of feeling down about myself.

I have 2 young kids. Ive been recovering from an accident that happened nearly 2 years ago to my ankle - due to lack of mobility the weight as just piled on :-(

I NEED to loose this weight, and with my mum speaking highly of this site, I thought I'd give it ago this time (signed up 8 months ago and then done NOTHING!)

Anyone who has had young kids who can understand how hard it is to find time for yourself would be great, but happy to have others that offers friendly and supportive advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

We can do this!! :-)

Replies

• Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, I'm starting back at full time work on Monday after a year off on maternity leave (eekk!!) I'm also a Kiwi so might track similar foods etc. Feel free to add me if you like!! :flowerforyou:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    7 and 5 are perfect ages to get them involved in some activities too. Go out and throw a ball around, my kids love tag and foot races in general. Walks in the evening, ect....
  • Pinguix
    Pinguix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I have a almost 4-year-old and a 2 year-old and work full time. I lost my weight (5.5 stone) with Lighter Life and am using MFP to help keep it off and to keep on top of that pesky 7lbs at the bottom that comes and goes - ok doesn't go quite so easily!

I have found if I do some running / walking first thing in the morning while the kids are still asleep / just getting up then they can crawl into bed with daddy and he isn't too disturbed.

Of course if you are doing it by yourself then get some form of exercise machine / DVD etc so you can have some 'me' time and start getting fit that way.

Also take time out to plan meals - makes the shopping cheaper too - especially if you buy online. That way you are in control. And remember - your meals are your meals and the kids meals are theirs - no nicking off their plates - stop and ask yourself if you are hungry if you can before every bite. If they leave stuff then give it to the birds / chuck it in the bin. YOU are not a bin, you are worth so much more.

Hope that helps - everyone is different so it may well not be relevant but rest assured you are not alone and good luck,

Rachel
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    involving kids is actually really easy. just play with them. go swimming. go for a walk with them.
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a 7 month old so not in school but I either just get his daddy to have him so I can workout or take him for a run in the buggy. So far Ive lost 45lbs and am the lowest ive ever been. Maybe take them swimming with OH - he can look after them and you can do legnths? I truely believe you can do anything if you have the comitment :)
  • Ktslittlefaith
    Options
    Hi Kathy!

I have a 6, 3 and 2 y.o. It IS really hard to exercise/eat right with young children. I like doing zumba and on Youtube, you can find tons of zumba or other exercise videos. While the girls eat breakfast and then watch some tv, I exercise. I'm right in the next room. They do constantly come and try to interrupt me, but I tell them that I'm working out and that I will be with them as soon as I'm done. Our children do need to know that the world doesn't revolve around them and that mommy's get some mommy time.

I also paid for a twice per week zumba class at our recreation center. Each class is an hour long. My husband is home then with the girls.

I also find that I "clean up" after my girls; if they don't eat something, I used to eat it. A friend told me, "Your stomach is not a trash can." She's right!!! That helped me a lot.

Friend me if you want to! Being on here will help you a lot :)

Katie
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I dont have children but I also had a serious injury to my ankle which caused me to put on weight so I can support you with this if you want x
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hi!! i have a 22 month old nd am ttc number 2 so yes i do know how hard it is to find time for your self!! feel free to add me.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    We have 5 kids, and after each delivery, my wife worked her way back to peak fitness.
    No excuses.
    You feed them, put them down for nap, slip on some head phones and exercise. They may cry, pout, like it, not like it...WHO CARES?
    It's time for mom to exercise, so get in your bed and SHUT UP!
    As for diet, just follow what is recommended on this site for 1 pound of weekly weight loss.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

You can do this; it's not easy, and most people fail. Decide for yourself, and get to it.
    You, and only you are the author of your health and fitness.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Swimming? Might be supportive for your ankle? I enjoyed aqua-aerobics at my local community pool. Heated for winter and lots of fun! But weightloss is mainly about what you eat, so just keep counting the calories and trying again each new day. You'll get there!
  • _Triple_S_
    _Triple_S_ Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 10 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. I work 40+ hours a week and commute an hour to work everyday. I understand how hard it is to find time for yourself. Feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    hi im a mum of 3 i have a son who is 4 and son who is 2 and a daughter who just turned 1, so i know how busy it can be! iv been usuing this site for about 8months now and have lost about 50lbs in that 8months and 12lbs before i joined, feel free to add me and any others! im almost at garget now but i do still use this site regular for fitness advice etc