Strength Training for over 55 set

Options
Hi, I am interested to hear what works best for over 55 women regarding strength training.
Thanks!

Replies

• gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I'm 53 and do "regular" strength workouts (not ones geared toward seniors). Currently, I'm doing two Turbo Jam sculpting workouts. Are you new to strength training? Working out at home? If you need DVD workout suggestions I can give you some.
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a 49 yr old female, and have just started strength training. I tend to do better with a structured routine. Any suggestions, dvds, etc would be greatly appreciated. I have lost 41 lbs in the last 5 months doing cardio on my elliptical but I know it is time to change things up. I also have flabby arms, and thighs along with a "jiggly" tummy!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Same thing that works for those under 55. You just might need longer recovery times and to progress your weights a little more slowly. I am 61 and started with Stronglifts 5x5 4 months ago. I have recently reduced my volume to 3x5 for better recovery. You can do whatever you could do at 30. Just less of it.
  • sonamon
    sonamon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started working with weights last year, the dvd set I used was Chalene extreme which is a 3 month program. I then progressed to Les Mills pump workouts and have been doing them for the last six months (they are also fun.) I am 53. After doing these workouts and getting into shape I started Insanity a few weeks ago and know that had I not done the other two workouts I would never have been able to keep on with Insanity.