Jogging with or without water?

Options
Hey guys, wondering if anybody could give me a answer....

I have recently been going out jogging in the past couple weeks. I jogged the same route 3 times over the last week and its about 1.1/2-2 miles. I went out all 3 times without a bottle of water and was wondering if i took a bottle out with me, would it make any sort of difference to performance or make me less tired whilst out?

any suggestions.....?

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I take one and keep in my care for afterwards in a small cooler.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have heard that for anything under a 45 minute run you really don't need water - i just make sure I'm well hydrated before running and I seem to be fine.
  • Arsolina
    Arsolina Posts: 1
    Options
    Provided you are not thirsty when you start out and the weather is not extremely hot you don't need water for certain on this length run. I'm not running at the moment but when I was, last year, I didn't take water on a run of up to about 5or 6 miles.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I personally don't carry water for anything under a 40minute run. I do a lot of 3 milers, and often do that before breakfast even. Just a quick glug of water on my way out of the door.

For longer runs though I do take water . Yesterday I did 6 mile which takes me about an hour. The temperature was quite warm too.

I have a waist belt with a bottle holder.

Be careful of carrying bottles in your hand. There are some who say that it can put your posture out of balance - you aren't able to use your arms in the correct motion ifyou are weighted to one side with a bottle. I don't like to carry anything in my hands.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you are well hydrated before your run, you do not need to carry water for that length of a run...typically I don't carry unless I know my run will be longer than 45 minutes (when it is the summer months and hot, in the winter I go about an hour before I feel I need to carry water). When I do bring water, I use a hydration belt.
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I hydrate myself before running, then, if i am running for an hour or so i bring a hydration belt with me with some isotonic drink specially when i run in hot weather to avoid losing so much salts and avoid crams.

When i finish i make sure i drink plenty of water in small ships
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same. My runs are between 8k and 16k. I am thinking that too go a bit further the kind of 20k mark I am going to have to start taking on water(or leaving it somewhere I can pick it up)

Refuse to carry it, and the little belts make you look like a train spotter
  • Carofab16
    Carofab16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't as it gives me stitches. I usually drink enough during the day and definitely don't drink too much before running. I don't think it makes a lot of difference. The only time when I would have water with me is if it is extremely hot.... which is not the case right now :)

Good luck with your running!

Caroline x
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Depending on the weather, I've not needed anything for under an hour, but I'm in the overcast UK at the moment, 20C.

I hate carrying things. I just drink a large glass about 1/2 hr before I head out. Any more or any longer before a run and I need to let some out again....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're adequately hydrated before you won't need to carry water and you're unlikely to perspire enough to cause a performance degradation in a mile or two. I rarely carry water with me on runs that are going to be less than 90 minutes.

Hydration isn't guzzling a bottle of water 15 minutes before you head out the door - it's something that you try to stay on top of all day long. You also get fluids from the food you eat so depending on your stature, sweat rate etc you may not need to drink as much water as you think - judge you state of hydration based on the colour of your urine (it should be very pale to almost clear).

Having said that, if you're more comfortable carrying water on your run (no matter what distance) and taking the occasional sip go for it. There are not hard and fast rules and the idea is to have fun.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate running with anything in my hands, so don't take water for anything up to an hour.

As long as I'm adequately hydrated in general, I don't need to.

If I go longer I either put a pound in my pocket and buy some on the way, having mapped a route past a shop... or I have a small bottlebelt that wraps aroung the hip with a small bottle across the back.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was going to rerply but everyone esle has said what I do...lol

Drink before - drink after - ok upto about 60 minutes, I run when the sun is low, or on a bad day.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've just started C25K and I always take my water bottle.

I don't find it awkward to hold or that my arms move any different.. I just hold it like a football in my left hand, hold my phone in my right hand and go.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I drink a good amount of water before I run, and I always bring a bottle of water with me, just in case. I'll leave it in the car, because sometimes I run for longer than I expected to run and it's nice to have a drink after.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I run outside without it (around 5 miles), but I also run where there are stores and carry some cash on me just in case. If you're only running 2 miles you don't really need to carry it with you unless you're finding that you feel dehydrated. I just don't like to carry things when I run.
  • rachelhannah543
    rachelhannah543 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am aiming to start going further eventually....going to try going a bit further each time i go out from now on and try biuld up my stamina until i can get a decent time or at least go further without having to stop.

I think when your out jogging by yourself its easier to think you need to stop sooner. I found the first time i went out with my friend i went a lot further than i did by myself because i felt like i had to keep up with her.

Thanks for all the replies, i dont honestly think i need the water at time being but maybe if i start going further ... eventuallly ha!!
  • bestbeth1
    bestbeth1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Better safe than sorry, always keep hydrated when exercising. By the time ur thirsty, ur body is already dehydrated. #teamitisallbouturbody!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Personally I hate running with anything in my hands, so don't take water for anything up to an hour.

As long as I'm adequately hydrated in general, I don't need to.

If I go longer I either put a pound in my pocket and buy some on the way, having mapped a route past a shop... or I have a small bottlebelt that wraps aroung the hip with a small bottle across the back.

I agree with Kara.
    Unless you have a hangover (whoops) or you're dehydrated in any other way, you shouldn't need it to take anything.
    ps
    I hate bottle belts too, (ha ha Kara), if it's greater then 6 miles, I'll consider a camelbak, great for long distance and comfy too!
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    sorry, just to add, peeps should always take cash & ID with you and an ICE (In case of emergency) phone number written down!
    It's probably more important then water :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I wear a fuel belt that carries my water. I hate carrying around a water bottle.

I think it is better to bring water with you. Better to have then not to have, right? You never know what may happen out there.

And I agree with Monkey Bars, cell phone, ID, and cash (in case you need to call a cab because you are injured or anything happens). Also, always tell someone what route you are taking and what distance you are running before you leave for your run.

Safety!