Wearing smaller clothes... But not sure I should?

Options
Lately I've had to renew and replenish my wardrobe after losing about 35 lbs. Mostly cute, twee dresses, but with summer heat and humidity abound, I'm looking for shorts and tiny skirts too. In the past week I've worn a tiny rumper and now this tight little mini skirt. Both are new and both are in sizes i haven't fit into since my teens. The question lingering in my head is... It's nice that they fit, but should I be wearing them?

I've always said that just because something fits, doesn't mean it's right. I always feel a little put off when I see big girls wearing clothes that are obviously too small or just wrong for their shape/size. Now I'm worried that I might be one of them!

I try telling myself that it's just lingering "fat girl" mentality (not that I'm not fat anymore....) and I should enjoy this fitter, smaller body. Yet the number on the scales still says "cover yourself up".

I guess I'm just wondering if others feel this way too?

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    who cares what anyone else thinks... wear what you're comfortable in. if you think its inappropriate, dont wear it, or save it for when it is appropriate. i find a lot of womens clothing is too frumpy for me and i'll often shop in the junior section (im 22). there are also certain stores that have womens clothing that is more my style, like forever 21 as opposed to kohls.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you feel good in it - if it fits and flatters - wear it and enjoy it. If you're not sure if it flatters, take pictures from all angles. Somehow it's easier to be objective when looking at a photo rather than in the mirror.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you feel good in it - if it fits and flatters - wear it and enjoy it. If you're not sure if it flatters, take pictures from all angles. Somehow it's easier to be objective when looking at a photo rather than in the mirror.

I was typing this exact response when this post popped up! :laugh: This is VERY TRUE! It is easier to see if you really like the way something looks of you by taking a picture!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You are still in your 20's so can get away with anything, enjoy it :bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am sure that there are some people who don't like to see me in a racer back shirt, but that is what I feel comfortable in while exercising. So, wear what you want.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Whilst I totally agree with the other ladies- wear what you want, not what you think you should- if you're really unsure about it, you could always wear a thin pair of tights under the romper, or cropped leggings under the mini skirt =)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't care what anyone thinks. If you think you look good go for it!! Congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I was typing this exact response when this post popped up! :laugh: This is VERY TRUE! It is easier to see if you really like the way something looks of you by taking a picture!

I've stopped trusting my reflection so I almost always take a picture :tongue:

I've mostly been shopping at H&M and those type of stores. While I don't think I dress too young (I'm 27 and still a student), I feel like society over here in Europe (Norway) is very unforgiving of overweight and obesity.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If your not comfortable in it, then don't wear it.. plain and simple.
    I'd rather see you wear something you are comfortable and confident in then something that is uncomfortable and that you are not confident in.

I have a sorority sister who is overweight and is always trying to wear clothes too small/too tight on her.. and I agree, I don't like when she does it. She looks ridiculous and like she hasn't looked in a mirror before she stepped out of the house.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have this feeling too! I'm just now really starting to notice that I can buy much smaller sizes, but like you I can feel a bit self conscious. Even though I have lost weight, I still haven't lost much in my chest, so even though I can wear tighter stuff I feel a bit weird about it-I'm used to seeing my body in the mirror every day, but sometimes I feel like maybe people are looking at me and just seeing my chest (I'm a 34G) and thinking how freakishly big it is! But the thing is, I am a tall girl, and I've always thought that it seems proportionate, but like you, I doubt myself and think..."I don't know if I should be wearing this!"

I think that I've read enough guides on how to dress for your body type (especially a lot by Trinny & Susannah, even though I don't agree with everything they say) that I feel fairly confident in my choices. I know what works and I can walk away from the things that don't, even if I'm let down by the fact that a particular trend just will NOT fit me. For example, that cute romper you got...on you it just looks adorable and fun and relaxed-on me I would look, seriously, like a hooker! I just have way too much boobage for something like that. But I still look longingly at them whenever I see them...aaahhhh!

The thing is that I think we all have a little voice inside telling us when to walk away and when to go for it. (That said, sometimes I don't always listen-like those neon leggings I bought the other week, I needed a little fun in my life, lol!)

I think that what you're hearing is your own insecurity and having a 35 pound less body to dress. It's a bit disconcerting! I think you are at an age when you need to just enjoy the latest fashions and wear all that fun stuff! In the photos I've seen of you I think you look beautiful, and clearly are perfectly capable of dressing yourself in flattering fashion!

The only things I veer from is wearing clothing that is too small-like trousers that give you muffin top because they don't really fit, or jackets that don't zip up or shirts that don't button...things like that, in my opinion, do make you look larger than you are. I also tend to follow the "Tight on top/loose on bottom or loose on top/tight on bottom rule" as well, but that may be just because I'm older now ;)

Bottom line: I think everyone looks amazing when they are wearing something that they clearly feel good and confident in. That is fantastic to see and automatically makes you look great!
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've mostly been shopping at H&M and those type of stores. While I don't think I dress too young (I'm 27 and still a student), I feel like society over here in Europe (Norway) is very unforgiving of overweight and obesity.

I was born in the US, and I agree that Norway at least is very unforgiving of overweight people. I mean, seriously-we have plus size stores that start at size 12. A size 12 in the US is THIN! You will turn heads in the US at a size 12! I feel like a model when I'm in the US. (haha!) I find it so depressing that our major chains (Lindex, H&M) actually END at size 10. Really??? That is just wrong to me. I wore a size 8/10 when I was 130 lbs at 5'9! I remember the first time I came to Norway (a long time ago, so things have changed, but still) I seriously cried myself to sleep the first night! I thought I was fine and then when I saw how thin everyone was I was shocked! The ironic thing is that generally speaking Norwegian youth have horrendous eating habits and honestly they are headed for the same kind of obesity crisis as the USA with cheap, high fat, fast carb, full sugar eating options being readily available.

Phew, tangent over ;)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    if you feel great then people will sense it and think you look great. if you feel uncomfortable then they'll sense that and think oh why is she wearing THAT! it's all about how comfortable you feel in it. personally i also feel you have to think about how old you are. i just turned 40 and am now starting to think there are just some things a 40 year old should not wear. i wore a pair of shorts this weekend that were a size smaller and a tiny bit tight in the legs but i felt awesome wearing them - that's what matters.
    Lately I've had to renew and replenish my wardrobe after losing about 35 lbs. Mostly cute, twee dresses, but with summer heat and humidity abound, I'm looking for shorts and tiny skirts too. In the past week I've worn a tiny rumper and now this tight little mini skirt. Both are new and both are in sizes i haven't fit into since my teens. The question lingering in my head is... It's nice that they fit, but should I be wearing them?

I've always said that just because something fits, doesn't mean it's right. I always feel a little put off when I see big girls wearing clothes that are obviously too small or just wrong for their shape/size. Now I'm worried that I might be one of them!

I try telling myself that it's just lingering "fat girl" mentality (not that I'm not fat anymore....) and I should enjoy this fitter, smaller body. Yet the number on the scales still says "cover yourself up".

I guess I'm just wondering if others feel this way too?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask if you should wear it, chances are you probably shouldn't. Personally I don't like seeing too much of other people's business so I keep my own under wraps by dressing modestly. I have lost about the same amount of weight as you so far, 36 pounds so far, but I still have a fat floppy belly, rolls of back fat, and extra dimply and jiggly thunder thighs. No one wants to see all that, really. So maybe save the more revealing clothes for when you've reached your goal weight, if you feel the need to wear them.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    For summer weather try maxi dresses, they are very flattering to every figure especially fat women.
  • flisafakto
    Options
    If you have to ask if you should wear it, chances are you probably shouldn't. Personally I don't like seeing too much of other people's business so I keep my own under wraps by dressing modestly. I have lost about the same amount of weight as you so far, 36 pounds so far, but I still have a fat floppy belly, rolls of back fat, and extra dimply and jiggly thunder thighs. No one wants to see all that, really. So maybe save the more revealing clothes for when you've reached your goal weight, if you feel the need to wear them.

At first I felt great in the smaller clothes, but then I started thinking that maybe I shouldn't?

I agree with you on wobbly bits though, and I keep my own under wraps. I'm always wearing tights or even tap pantyhose, almost always with a control top to flatten my wobbly tummy. I also always keep my arms and shoulders covered, mosty because I am highly self-conscious of my arms, which have been unnaturally big for my size ever since I started gaining weight years ago.

All in all, I don't feel like the clothes are too revealing. And I would wear maxi dresses except that at 5'2.5'' - 5'3'' I basically look like I'm drowning in them.... :indifferent:
  • flisafakto
    Options
    Ugh, I have this feeling too! I'm just now really starting to notice that I can buy much smaller sizes, but like you I can feel a bit self conscious. Even though I have lost weight, I still haven't lost much in my chest, so even though I can wear tighter stuff I feel a bit weird about it-I'm used to seeing my body in the mirror every day, but sometimes I feel like maybe people are looking at me and just seeing my chest (I'm a 34G) and thinking how freakishly big it is! But the thing is, I am a tall girl, and I've always thought that it seems proportionate, but like you, I doubt myself and think..."I don't know if I should be wearing this!"

I think that I've read enough guides on how to dress for your body type (especially a lot by Trinny & Susannah, even though I don't agree with everything they say) that I feel fairly confident in my choices. I know what works and I can walk away from the things that don't, even if I'm let down by the fact that a particular trend just will NOT fit me. For example, that cute romper you got...on you it just looks adorable and fun and relaxed-on me I would look, seriously, like a hooker! I just have way too much boobage for something like that. But I still look longingly at them whenever I see them...aaahhhh!

The only things I veer from is wearing clothing that is too small-like trousers that give you muffin top because they don't really fit, or jackets that don't zip up or shirts that don't button...things like that, in my opinion, do make you look larger than you are. I also tend to follow the "Tight on top/loose on bottom or loose on top/tight on bottom rule" as well, but that may be just because I'm older now ;)

Bottom line: I think everyone looks amazing when they are wearing something that they clearly feel good and confident in. That is fantastic to see and automatically makes you look great!

I know all too well what it's like dressing a bigger chest. Not until recently have I finally gone down in the chest area. Before I did, I would just feel grotesque in a lot of clothes.

I agree on knowing about to dress your body type. I'm short and my torso is basically a narrow waist, then all boobs and narrow shoulders. Because of this, pants are always too long and too wide in the waist. I can't wear dresses that are longer than right above the knee, otherwise I look stompy.

Your "Tight on top/loose on bottom or loose on top/tight on bottom" rule is great! It's important to keep a certain balance. I guess I have trouble getting used to wearing tight ANYTHING!
  • flisafakto
    Options
    If your not comfortable in it, then don't wear it.. plain and simple.
    I'd rather see you wear something you are comfortable and confident in then something that is uncomfortable and that you are not confident in.

I have a sorority sister who is overweight and is always trying to wear clothes too small/too tight on her.. and I agree, I don't like when she does it. She looks ridiculous and like she hasn't looked in a mirror before she stepped out of the house.

Lol, that last part right there is definitely my nightmare!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    maxi dresses are not flattering on every figure - i look horrible in them because i'm not even 5' tall. i might as well have a bed sheet on. lol
    For summer weather try maxi dresses, they are very flattering to every figure especially fat women.
  • flisafakto
    Options
    maxi dresses are not flattering on every figure - i look horrible in them because i'm not even 5' tall. i might as well have a bed sheet on. lol

LOL yeah, even at 5'2.5''-5'3'' like me, they look just ridiculous. My friend who is my height and only 110 lbs tried one yesterday and had the same problem! Although I really wish I could wear them, they look so comfortable!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling like this recently. I am now a UK10/12, but I used to be a UK16/18 I still think I look like I did before even in my short skirts and playsuits. :/

I just wear what I'm comfortable in, if I'm having a good day I will wear my cute clothes! :) If I'm having a bad day it's usually jeans a and t-shirt... Want to get away from that though!