Protein Bars?

Options
I was wondering what is the best protein bar to eat for someone who wants to lose weight and uses them mostly as a snack when on the go? What should I be looking for in the nutrition facts?

Replies

• mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Check out the Glucerna bars. Low carbs, some protein, and filling. They have a few tasty options. I also use Pure Protein bars.
  • flyuk
    flyuk Posts: 28
    Options
    You could make your own, there are loads of recipes online.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a quest bar right now.
    It tastes really gross, but it has 20g protein and 19g fiber.
    It also is way more natural than other protein bars, BUT, has 2-3x the sodium.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure protein bars too.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    you can google it and make your own with whateva you want in it, and control the nutrients. but, I love all protein bars. The Pure Protien line is good. Idk why they are so good to me...i have to stay away from clif bars esp.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like the quest bars, high protein, high fiber low sugar and taste good. They have two different lines (what kind of non-sugar sweetener they use.) They travel well because they aren't chocolate coated. I get them from netrition.com.
  • civilgirl1
    Options
    Bariwise Protein bars from Dietdirect.com. I keep a box at work, boxes at home and one in my purse at all times. The Caramel Crunch taste just like a $100,000 bar. I prefer them to candbars. 170 calories, 15 grams of protien and 16 grams of carbohydrates.
  • iambatman41
    Options
    I love the Quest Protein bars. If you heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds they taste much better. I love the PB&J and Apple Pie flavors. I order them from www.questproteinbar.com/ or you can buy them in nutrition stores.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are pretty good. I bought the variety pack so I could try several different kinds. You can order quest bars online here:
    http://www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/home.asp
  • AlbertnElia16
    AlbertnElia16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like the Designer Whey Protein bars, especially Carmel Peanut one. It has 170 calories, with 15 grams of protein and only 3 grams of sugar. Sodium content is a little hight with 240 mg, but overall it tastes good.
  • jenk936
    jenk936 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make my own - SO TASTY!
    2 cups oatmeal,
    4 scoops whey protein powder,
    1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed,
    1/2 cup water,
    1/2 cup natural almond or peanut butter.
    mix in a large bowl, press into a square pan (lined with wax paper),
    freeze for 30 minutes. remove, divide into 8 bars -
    each bar is Calories-230, Fat-10 g, sodium-20 mg, carbs-21g, protein- 15g
  • AquaDLin
    AquaDLin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein are my favorite. I also like ThinkThin. I also make my own Protein Cookies :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Honestly I read an article about 'bars' and most are no better then candy bars when look at ingredient list. I say if you can find a good natural one then use that for 'emergencies' when no time to cook otherwise make your own!
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Protein bars aren't really "for health" in commercial packaging. Making your own I suppose would be OK for health I suppose. But rarely are any prepackaged anything any good.

I eat them from time to time. They all taste terrible, but whenever I've had a bad meal, they work as a great source to keep you full and can work as a meal replacement. That being said, I don't eat for health. I eat for weight loss... Though I do eat healthy 2/3's of the time.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein bars, too, for a quick and easy post-workout snack. Of course they're processed, but the convenience is worth it to me. You can also buy them in bulk at Sam's Club, so you can save a few pennies.
  • SueAflag
    SueAflag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein has low sugar in it and taste delicious! I purchase mine at Costco, but most Sprouts or Whole Foods has them.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin bars because they have no sugar.
    I also make my own, I use Jamie Eason's recipes on youtube.