Anyone following the FODMAP diet for IBS?

Options
Grandee47
Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
I have motility issues in my digestive system so I have a lot of bloating, pain etc. My new Gastro dr started me on the FODMAP diet and WOW! it sure works. Was wondering if anyone out there is following this approach. Also, if you have IBS and haven't tried this, it's worth it!

Replies

• sarahh87
    sarahh87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this before.. I'll be looking into it, thank you!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    I've scanned thru the posts looking for an IBS group. Is there one on MFP?
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No group that I'm aware of but I'd be keen to join! I've been on elimination for a week now, and I can't believe the difference, symptoms are gone that I didn't even know that I had haha! I don't even want to switch to low FODMAPS haha I could quite easily and happily stay in elimination phase! I had a little bit of onion last night because I went out for dinner, and then bam this morning had tummy cramps, and my tummy was making weird noises!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't need to follow this, but if you are looking for recipes I have noticed quite a few on
    taste.com.au
    that state low or no FODMAP.
  • Grandee47
    Options
    :happy: So happy to get some response to this. I have been suffering for so long and my condition is life long, so to find a solution and other people who KNOW what it's like......priceless.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the website, Ruby. Will go there right after this. I'm guessing the "au" tag is Australia. The FODMAP approach was researched and developed there.

:smile: Alex, we've been following FODMAP for about the same time so it'll be interesting to see how the improvement continues. Do you have the book by Patsy Catsos called IBS - Free at Last? I downloaded it on my Kindle and it's terrific. I, too, am happy with the elimination phase and plan to stay on it a month minimum. I have suffered for so long from SIBO (Small intestine bacterial overgrowth) that I want to give myself plenty of time to heal before starting to introduce the different carb groups.

Gotta go. Hope we pick up some more people along the way. Wouldn't it be wonderful to help other IBS sufferers?

Dee
  • Grandee47
    Options
    FODMAP/Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookie

1 cup smooth or chunky peanutbutter
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 egg

Mix ingredients well
    Drop by tsp onto cookie sheet
    Press with fork
    Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

*mini chocolate chips make a nice additive.
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :happy: So happy to get some response to this. I have been suffering for so long and my condition is life long, so to find a solution and other people who KNOW what it's like......priceless.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the website, Ruby. Will go there right after this. I'm guessing the "au" tag is Australia. The FODMAP approach was researched and developed there.

:smile: Alex, we've been following FODMAP for about the same time so it'll be interesting to see how the improvement continues. Do you have the book by Patsy Catsos called IBS - Free at Last? I downloaded it on my Kindle and it's terrific. I, too, am happy with the elimination phase and plan to stay on it a month minimum. I have suffered for so long from SIBO (Small intestine bacterial overgrowth) that I want to give myself plenty of time to heal before starting to introduce the different carb groups.

Gotta go. Hope we pick up some more people along the way. Wouldn't it be wonderful to help other IBS sufferers?

Dee

I didn't get the book but I've been thinking about it! Those peanut butter cookies sound delicious, I'm so crazy for peanut putter!
  • nahzimani
    nahzimani Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm glad there are other people out there doing this and it seems to be working for you guys! After almost a year of issues I finally went to talk to my primary care doc and she diagnosed me with IBS and thinks its a carbohydrate malabsorption thing and she said the GI doc may want me to go low FODMAP. I researched it a bunch on my own in anticipation (I'm vegan already so I was worried about how hard meshing the two together will be)...and for fun just tried it for a day and my pain/bloating/etc was cut down to about a fourth of what I normally feel. Looks like I'll be joining your ranks officially in a couple of weeks. Let me know if a group starts...I'd be down to join!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: I would love if a group started! So far it's been Alexsmith01 and I and we've been PM-ing each other. I'll suggest to her that we converse on this thread since you are interested. Do get or download (there is a Kindle version which I have) the book IBS - Free At Last by Patsy Catsos. It is completely about the low FODMAP approach and is extremely helpful. I've been on it since June 17th and know that this is the eating plan for me. I will drink a glass of milk on Wed of this week to test dairy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that lactose isn't the problem because I've always loved dairy.

Gotta go. We're going home today from low humidity, 80s and breezy to 103 tomorrow. :sad: YUK! Anyway, have to pack. Hope to be chatting with you. Lots of luck!

Dee:smile:
  • lafresita
    lafresita Posts: 27
    Options
    So glad to find this thread! Just been diagnosed with colitis.... Waiting to see if it is ulcerative or infectious, also waiting on coeliac confirmation... Have just been researching dietitians versed in FODMAPS luckily I live in Melbourne, so once I get me biopsy results I think i will be joining ranks :-) have had IBS for 6 years, and fibromyalgia and am ready and willing to try anything...
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later - glad to find some people who suffer from the same crap (pun intended) that I do! It's so tough to find things to eat that won't make symptoms flare up. :grumble:
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the FODMAP diet, but for me its not working. Which makes me wonder if my doc was wrong about me haivng IBS and if it isn't a food intolerance instead? Cutting out meat and dairy have helped, but I still can't go off my IBS meds or I'm in the bathroom all day long. So I cut out gluten too....I'll know in a week or so if it makes a difference.
  • jam297
    jam297 Posts: 3
    Options
    bump.

did anyone start a group for this? was just put on low fodmaps today :(
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Does anyone know how to start a group? We seem to be collecting FODMAP people.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    tried it... found that my IBS makes no sense whatsoever, so went off of it.
  • Grandee47
    Options
    I've heard that FODMAPs works for @75% of those who try it. Have you been tested for Celiac and food allergies?
  • nahzimani
    nahzimani Posts: 6
    Options
    I looked up how to start a group and there is now a group called "IBS and FODMAPS"....we can always change the name and I'm supposed to add a pic and a description but I'm at work and just wanted to get it created really quick. I tried to send invites to the people on this board who seemed like they would be interested.
    Amanda with the heart at the end of your user name, I didn't know how to write the heart in (I'm not too computer savvy...) so you're welcome to join too! Everyone is!!!