Any one work in sales?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hi all,

I have just recieved a job in a gym which I started on Monday. Tomorrow (Wednesday) they want me to show the boss around the equipment (weights, cardio, stretching area, group exercise room) and try to "sell" a membership to him. What would you say?

In much detail as possible...

Replies

• SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I spent ten years as a manager in retail, and my top advice would be to focus on HOW you say everything, more than what you actually say. Seeming pleasant, genuine, engaged, and happy to be doing what you're doing is generally what people notice more than the actual content of your speech. I bet you could say, "I really have no idea what this machine is for, but wow, doesn't it look cool?" and still get a positive reaction if you use the right tone :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    hey,

I had them do this to me at blockbuster. I got the job.

be interested in them, and their experience and as informative and excited as possible about the equipment:

"what are you looking for?...what are your fitness goals?....well we can figure those goals out together?...this machine is good for this this health reasons and this and this is why it will keep you excited and not bored and is good for family (if they have one) and even getting a few minutes on this machine each day will get you this this and thismuch closer to your goals and will motivate you towards your other goals"

they might throw in some "i don't knows and i heard this this and this bad"

"well your concern is completely valid, i wouldn't want this this and this either, but this machine will help with these things which is the reasons you mentioned prior"

blahblahblah, be really enthusiastic about the equipment and happy and engaging. YOU are selling to them, not the other way around. don't be shy or aloof. be who you would want to talk to.

good luck!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I spent ten years as a manager in retail, and my top advice would be to focus on HOW you say everything, more than what you actually say. Seeming pleasant, genuine, engaged, and happy to be doing what you're doing is generally what people notice more than the actual content of your speech. I bet you could say, "I really have no idea what this machine is for, but wow, doesn't it look cool?" and still get a positive reaction if you use the right tone :)

this
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Hmm yeah see the difference here is that I'm practically being graded on how I go...
    but yeah i am already happy to be there, just a bit of information overload though atm haha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Always ask, "So what did you like at your last gym?" if it applies. Listen to what they liked and show them you have it there if you do.
    Then ask, "What would you have changed?" Listen to their response. If applicable, show them how you meet that need.

Find out what their motivations are to be active now and how they like to do it (lift weights, cardio, classes).

If you offer good child care, ask how many kids they have that may needed to be sat during a workout.

It's more about listening to their wants and needs and using those as the reason to join your establishment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    hey,

I had them do this to me at blockbuster. I got the job.

be interested in them, and their experience and as informative and excited as possible about the equipment:

"what are you looking for?...what are your fitness goals?....well we can figure those goals out together?...this machine is good for this this health reasons and this and this is why it will keep you excited and not bored and is good for family (if they have one) and even getting a few minutes on this machine each day will get you this this and thismuch closer to your goals and will motivate you towards your other goals"

they might throw in some "i don't knows and i heard this this and this bad"

"well your concern is completely valid, i wouldn't want this this and this either, but this machine will help with these things which is the reasons you mentioned prior"

blahblahblah, be really enthusiastic about the equipment and happy and engaging. YOU are selling to them, not the other way around. don't be shy or aloof. be who you would want to talk to.

good luck!

haha thanks! i already have the job just looking at how i go i guess :)
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've worked in a gym for ten years. Here are your exploratory topics: If your gym has child care ask them if they have children and then show them the childcare. HUGE selling point. Be familiar with all the equipment your gym has and then ask them where they've worked out in the past, what they liked and didn't like about it. Ask them what time of day they will be working out. Once you know all of this (and you have a good bead on the dynamics of your gym) make sure everything you show them is what they have described as THEIR ideal gym :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I've worked in a gym for ten years. Here are your exploratory topics: If your gym has child care ask them if they have children and then show them the childcare. HUGE selling point. Be familiar with all the equipment your gym has and then ask them where they've worked out in the past, what they liked and didn't like about it. Ask them what time of day they will be working out. Once you know all of this (and you have a good bead on the dynamics of your gym) make sure everything you show them is what they have described as THEIR ideal gym :)

Sounds good, thanks! =)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I work with art supplies =/ My only good advice is to be as enthusiastic as possible (w/o sounding fake) =)
    Good luck!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Ask if they have been to other gyms and what they did or didn't like about those gyms.
    Ask what goals they have and if they need any help on trying to determine how to meet those goals.
    (This would be a great way to offer the assistance of a personal trainer if your gym has them.)
    If you're allowed, I'd even show them how some of the machines work if they're not familiar with them!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    anyone else?