People Eating 1200 a Day

Options

Replies

• chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    my favorite breakfast right now is eggs in a basket (1/2 a bagel in a frying pan, an put a whisked egg white in the hole. i top with 15 grams of light swiss cheese, melted, and 2 tbsp med. salsa) it comes in at about 167 cal, DV%4 fat, 14 protein, 27 carbs. or i eat oatmeal, one quaker oats pack is delicious and filling (really! i was skeptical when i saw the ammount in my oversized bowl but i take my time and drink a glass of skim milk and i stay full!) and it comes in to about 110 - 140 cal.

i have taken a huge liking to spinach as well! it is very low in calories (15 for 65g - which is a pretty decent sized salad)

a big thing i have learned is that i need to eat slower. i try to get about 20 - 30 chews in to a bite of food, and it feels like i'm pushing around mush, but it lets my brain really register what is going on, and i feel full faster, instead of shoveling it in, and then registering a half hour later, OMG.

your brain registers hunger and thirst in the same area as well. so if you are feeling hungry, drink a glass (or two) of water and wait a while. if you are still registering hunger, then have a small snack ( a few cherries, an apple, etc.)

add me as a friend, i don't have my diary open but i am very welcome to have more friends!
  • JPFleming77
    JPFleming77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome to add me or I will add you. You are more than welcome to look at what I eat. I use the Cooking Light cookbooks. They are AMAZING. My husband sometimes puts a slight spin on them but for the most part they are exactly within the calorie range. Try it out!!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    This is day 2 for me counting calories. I'm sitting here eating a Michelinas Lean Gourmet & it is gross! Would some of you that have been eating 1200 calories for a while add me or direct me to your food diary so I can get some better meal ideas?
    Thanks!

you can look at my diary any time you want, it's open. i try to keep it between 12-1500/day, but i also get a lot of exercise.
  • neuy22
    neuy22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Recommend going more natural as a way to reduce your calories. I have been following a loosely structure paleo diet for about 2 months and it has really helped me. I was 195 when I started at the end of April and am now in the low 170's looking to get to 155! When I changed my diet and got away from processed foods with additives the lbs starting melting off. It is a little more expensive but totally worth it in the end!
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    I have found that logging what you eat before you eat it can help. It allows me to really see what I'm about to do. If I don't like the cal or fat or protein # it's easier to adjust before I've eaten then trying to make up for it later. Then I adjust portions or sub veggies or fruit for something to get the meal in the nutritional range that I was striving for.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    1200 is going to slow your metabolism way down, and you will end up gaining the weight back because it's too low to sustain. It is NOT a lot of food! I would find another calculator and figure out a number that's a bit higher and more sustainable. :-)

I eat a ton of food and stay at 1200, you just have to pick the right types of foods. And making generalizations about everyone's metabolism isn't the best idea. I'm under a doctor and nutritionists care and they have me on a very healthy 1200 calorie diet and I'm loosing about 1 pound a week. Everyone is different. The more active you are the higher your metabolism will be and the more you should eat, but don't generalize that all people who eat 1200 calories are going to hurt their metabolism and gain the weight back.

^^this! Eat clean, one ingredient foods and 1200 is a lot of food actually. I just bumped to 1500, trying to get to 1800 through this pregnancy.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in the same situation. I have been counting 1200 cals for the last 5 days. It certainly is NOT a lot of food. I am getting a wake up call as to just how much I overeat! I have been playing with food also. You can certainly add me. I am 5'4" and 189.4 starting weight. I am trying to lose 65 pounds. I am slowly adding exercise in the form of a stationary bike to ease into this new lifestyle. I have not been eating my exercise calories. We'll see how it goes! Good luck! Kathy

1200 calories CAN be a lot of food, but it mostly CAN'T come from a box with more than one ingredient. It takes a little time to get the swing of it is all, so don't be too hard on yourself.

And remember, 1200 is a ballpark figure. If you go into 1300, so what!
  • markhudson1968
    Options
    Hi

When i first started doing this, I was only on 1200 calories a day and you are more than welcome to friend me to use my diary(not so much not but going back to March - May this year.

I had no problem in losing the weight ESPECIALLY when combining it with the exercise regime I chose to do which gives you the opportunity to "eat" those calories as well which makes it a lot easier.

Good Luck - you can do it as long as you stick with it !
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and the scale didn't budge. i am now eating around 1500 and it started to move the next day! Try upping it a little :) best of luck! Add me if you're like :)

This! I think MFP under budgets calories, but that's just my opinion. When I first started it set me and two of my friends (all VASTLY different in size) at 1200 calories. It simply was not enough for me. I was starving all day every day. I quickly upped my calories to 1500 and I lost 70 pounds that way. Those 300 calories made a huge difference in my being hungry.

Also, it doesn't have to be pre-packaged processed food. I love to take salads to work....

3 oz. Tyson diced chicken breast
    Fresh strawberries/blueberries
    A few chopped pecans
    A few crumbles of feta cheese
    Litehouse Blueberry Pomegranate Dressing
    =Just under 300 calories! This is one of my favs!

Or just a chicken breast and veggies.

I like salad with the diced chicken, cucumber, boiled egg whites, feta cheese and Bolthouse Yogurt Ranch too!
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and the scale didn't budge. i am now eating around 1500 and it started to move the next day! Try upping it a little :) best of luck! Add me if you're like :)

She is so right! Try calculating your BMR (just google it), and reset your calories to that number. Also, eat back your exercise calories! My diary is open if you'd like to look.
  • judijo621
    judijo621 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my opinion...

Unless you weigh 120 pounds, the ONLY way to maintain a 1200 calorie regimen is to make it 1200 calories NET, so logging exercise counts toward the calorie totals.

I agree with the others regarding processed foods. Pan-steaming a well spice/herbed piece of chicken or seafood with a salad dressed in sour cream or yogurt is far more nutrient rich and satisfying than anything made by stouffer's.
  • AggieManda
    Options
    "I eat a ton of food and stay at 1200, you just have to pick the right types of foods"

Agreed! You can fill up at 1200 calories. You won't be stuffed all the time, but it can be done. I stay away from prepackaged frozen meals. You can get more calorie bang for your buck by eating fresh vegetables, grilling some meat, etc. I often take leftovers from the dinner the night before to work. If we don't have any, I will take a salad or grill up a chicken breast (One grilled chicken breast with 1 tbsp of sugar free apricot jam melted over the top is my go to!) for lunch.

You can do it! Feel free to add me, I have my diary open to my friends.

Good luck!
  • Steph1576
    Steph1576 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses! I think I have enough meal ideas and friends diaries to look at to get me thru these 40 lbs!
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    My calorie goal is set at 1400 - and higher some days, depending on my activity (I have a fit bit - it changes my calories automatically).

I usually only net 1200 calories. My diary is open, feel free to take a look. This past weekend was a binge weekend - we all slip up now and then!!

One of my FAVORITE lunches is a bed of lettuce, with tuna on it (tuna mixed with either mayo or non-flavored greek yogurt!). Its low cal, and VERY filling!! Carrots are another snack I love - again, low cal, and filling.

I also do low carb, which I understand isnt for everyone, but higher levels of protein make you feel fuller longer. Also, chewing a lot helps too - I chew a minimum of 20 times, per bite, and use a much smaller plate than everyone else - keeps my brain thinking I am eating a lot.

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you like. :)
    Simone
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options

This. I was at 1200 for a few months and did great, then stalled out. Change your settings to lose 1lb or even .5lb a week, eat more. If you are ready to get more technical, there are other things to look up as well, such as TDEE, BMR, Eat more to lose weight, etc. (Have a search in the forums) But the bottom line is, if you are still hungry on 1200, having a hard time making it work, or not losing, try increasing a bit.
  • Healthy_Shelley
    Healthy_Shelley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can feel free to add me, too! I try to net around 1,300 a day -- I usually try to burn between 300-500 calories a day from exercise.

Lot's of people have made great suggestions here. I upped my protein to 80-100 grams a day, and I've found that's helped a lot (adding in more greek yogurt, whey protein powder, egg whites, nuts and fish).
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll add my name to the list of those advising you to increase your caloric intake. When I started a year ago, I was at 5'4 and 202. Now I'm at 140-144 on any given day. The scale wasn't budging at 1200 calories, but when I upped it to 1600, I started dropping like mad. Now I'm still at 1600 and losing, albeit more slowly.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have found that the key to surviving on 1200 calories is to get your exercise in early in the day. That way you actually increase the calories that you have to work with. I have lost >10 pounds in about 6 weeks. As far as finding realtively low calorie and filling meals, my favorite is a 12 inch turkey breast without cheese and a load of veggies. It is very tasty and only 560 calories. I usually eat a salad for lunch. I usually end up 300-400 calories under my limit. Feel free to friend me. Good luck with your quest.:happy:
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200/day.

I go to bed satisfied. Here is my day today.

Breakfast
    Spinach - Raw,
    Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup
    Trader Joe's - Almond Butter Crunchy Unsalted 32 g, 24 g
    Target Market Pantry - Whey Protein Powder Chocolate,

Lunch
    Sara Lee - 45 Calories Multi-Grain Bread, 2 slices
    Trader Joe's - Albacore Solid White Tuna-No Salt Added, 1 container (5 oz ea.)
    Hellmanns's - Regular Mayo, 19.5 g (1T)
    Fresh Express - Hearts of Romaine Salad, 0.5 cups
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 0.25 large whole (3" dia)

Dinner
    Kirkland Signature - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast-Sf, 168 g (4oz)
    Generic - Olive Oil 1 Tsp, 0.5 tsp
    Generic - Brussels Sprouts - Frozen, 12 brussels sprouts
    Onion - White - Medium, 0.5 Cup
    Mrs Dash - Southwest Chipotle Season Blend Salt-Free, 1 tsp
    Huy Fong - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 0.75 TSP
    Litehouse - Ranch Dressing & Dip , 1 Tbs (30ml)

Snacks
    Trader Joes Sodium Free Whole Wheat Bread - Bread, 1 slice
    Egg - Whole Egg, 1 eggs

Totals 1,251 81 56 123 889
    Your Daily Goal

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Would some of you that have been eating 1200 calories for a while add me or direct me to your food diary so I can get some better meal ideas?
    Thanks!
    '

My diary is open. Feel free to have a look. But you are right...its not a LOT of food. But, if you aren't satisfied, eat a little more.