Why does fresH fruit have so much sugar in it

Options
I have been eating at least 2 pieces of fresh fruit a day but it always have such high sugar which makes me go over my daily sugar allowance. I thought fruit was good for you

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It has been bred for high sugar, to satisfy customer taste. Berries have less sugar than a juicy fruit.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the daily sugar allowance on MFP is based on a proposed number for "added sugar" and isn't especially useful for most people. You are better off finding a carb limit that works for you and your goals and getting most of those carbs from whole food sources like veggies and fruits (in moderation). If you get the carbs to reasonable level and eat fewer processed foods, you'll get the sugar under control. It also helps to eat your fruit with some fat and protein to keep you fuller for longer.

This all, of course, assumes you are healthy. If you're diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant, you need to follow whatever medical diet plan your doctor has set for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Along with that sugar you get fiber and nutrients. It's good to eat more vegetables then fruit, but 2 pieces of fruit a day is great.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the naturally-occurring sugars in fruit. Along with those sugars, you're also getting vitamins, fibre and a whole lotta yumminess for not too many calories.

I think it's important to distinguish between naturally-occurring sugar and added sugar (which is bad). You'll find added sugar in TONS of places (ketchup, tomato sauce, bread, salsa, bbq sauce, sweetened yogourt, low-fat salad dressings) and that is not so good.

I don't track sugar in MFP because my rule of thumb is that I avoid as much added sugar as possible (i.e., no pop, no desserts, no baked goods, etc.). I also avoid fruit juice, because even though the sugar is natural, it is very concentrated and frankly has as many calories as pop or chocolate milk. Eat your calories, rather than drinking them, and you'll feel more satisfied.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're staying within your caloric goals and you're not diabetic I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I usually eat anywhere from 3 to 5 pieces of fruit daily (including a serving of blueberries which are lower in sugars) but avoid fruit juices.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I listened to someone at work...and she said she couldn't have any sugar at all..not even from fruit. So I was a little worried and started tracking it on MFP. I saw for several weeks I was going over sugar (you can see my diary if you want) but I'm still losing weight. SO.. I concluded that Weight Watchers sucks. (that is what she was doing..) Fruit has sugar because it is natures candy!!! =D It is good for you and filling, you can have that instead of the piece of candy you are thinking about.

Don't worry about the sugar in fruit! Not at all.. I keep meaning to take the sugar tracker off...but I forget. The sugar you really should worry about is in sweets, and soda's, juices, and stuff like that.
  • sue20101977
    Options
    Thank u all that's really helpful
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :( I know. BUT, it is still good for you. It's the processed sugar that's bad. :/ Our bodies are made to eat fruit and process natural sugar. :)

now if only that were true of diet pepsi. :)
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I go over my sugar everyday and it does't bother me at all because 97% of it comes from fresh fruit and veggies. They're both way too nutrient rich and important to me to give them up just because of the sugar. Besides, it's natural sugar...big difference between that and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP (which I NEVER consume).

I had a cup of blueberries with my cereal this morning.
    I have an apple to go along with lunch (a salad of greens, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cabbage and turkey).
    For snack later, 2 cups of fresh cherries.

Yep, I'll be over my sugar but it doesn't seem to negatively affect my weight loss. Fiber up, folks! :drinker:
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    But the "kind" of sugar is so different--it's not the really processed kind that can cause addiction, withdrawl, cravings, etc. It's "clean" food that is as close to nature as you can get! All in all - if you eat 3 - 5 servings of it (and other "clean" foods such as fresh veg, etc.) it's really, really good for you!!
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I removed the sugar tab from my dairy because most of my sugar comes from a natural source. Don't fear fruit! The creator of our local organic co-op at rawfullyorganic.com was hyperglycemic and was told to never eat sugars (fruit) again but she ended up reversing it by becoming a raw foodie, her diet consists of nothing but fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds and TONS of them, I'm talking about she can eat 12 bananas in one sitting and she's stick skinny!