general workout advice...

Options
Hi, I am new to the site and want to lose 10 lbs. I go to the gym 3-4 days a wk and am going to try to go 5-6 days from now on. I love to take classes like kickboxing and Core Central and can usually attend these about 3 days a wk. In these classes I probably burn up to 500 calories/per hr.
On the days that there is not a class I can attend what would be best for me to do to make sure that I am burning enough calories. Is 30 minutes on the Eliptical enough? Should I add in weights? Is yes, then do I do a shorter cardio and then just arms and back one day and then cardio and legs and chest the next day or the whole body? I just feel that I work out harder in a class and unsure what to do when not in a class.......thanks for any advice on how to plan my workout week!! Unfortunately I can't afford a personal trainer right now.
Kate

Replies

• Kate37
    Options
    Oh, one more thing.... I was thinking about buying the 30 day shred to do on days I can't make it to the gym...good idea? Do I need hand weights with that program?
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :mad: The 30 Day Shred is amazing and the 20 minutes that Jillian puts you through really gives you a work out, and yes you will need anywhere from 2 lb. to 5 lb. weights depending on how your strength is. I started with 2 lbs and working my way up to 5 lb. weights for the excercises.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is amazing! It really tones me up when i do it for 30 days consecutively, like Jillian suggests. I like the shred because it is interval training, you work hard for 2min, but then change exercises, i like that part-it's easy enough that my husband does it with me (easy meaning no weird choreographed steps)
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I do stregnth training, I skip the cardio for that day, or do it earlier in the day. I would say its okay to do cardio when you're doing an upper body workout but if you're doing a somewhat intense lower body workout, skip the cardio. Just do an easy 10 minute warmup on the bike or walk on the treadmill.
  • Kate37
    Options
    Thanks! That helps!
  • Kate37
    Options
    Is it more effective if I do it 30 consecutive days or can I do it several times a wk and mix it in with my other workouts?
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Jillian recommends every day for 30 days-but if you are doing other workouts, you don't want to strain yourself-I would see how you feel, possibly allowing for rest days if you need to.