Come to a stand still?

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone else come to a stand still? I was losing weight and I was really proud of myself.....1 week later and I've lost nothing!! Just wondering if anyone else is going through something similar?
Suddenly I feel really fat again. I was so proud of myself and now this has completely knocked my confidence.
Any tips or advice are welcome.

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me was to take pictures every 4 weeks. I have been doing this for 4 months so I have 4 pictures on my computer now. When I have those days (feel fat, want to give up) I can look back at the pitcures and SEE that I am a lot smaller even though my mind is telling me I look the same. I know you have just started, but I wish someone had told me to do this. I have a lot more to lose than you do, but I think our minds and the image we see in the mirror is often distorted! Good luck!
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I too seem to have hit a plateau! I've lost 69 pounds steadily, and now, I just can't seem to shake the last 5 pounds that would take me to my personal goal weight.

I've shaken up the exercise routine a bit, I've tried eating above the 1250 calorie limit for a couple of days then going back to the 1250 limit, but I am now yo-yo'ing between 5 and 8 pounds above my goal.
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    Thanks guys :) My partner has been telling me although I've not lost much you can really see it. I just can't understand why I've suddenly come to a stand still. I'm hoping that the scale will drop another lb soon, and I think if it does then I'll be more than happy again and start believing in myself. Maybe I should start taking pictures and just hope that the weight starts dropping :)
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? If your partner can see the changes, then you are doing well. You would also do well to get rid of the scale - it is the worst investment a dieter can make. As you lose fat and gain muscle, the size of your body will reduce even if your weight doesn't. Pay attention to yoor measurements and the way your clothes are fitting. The number on the scale is just that - a number.
  • dhoodle
    dhoodle Posts: 1
    Options
    How long have you stalled for?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Its very normal to go a week or two without losing on the scale. The amount of water in your body fluctuates and if you're retaining water when you weigh yourself, that will mask any fat loss on the scale. Taking photos and measurements definitely helps keep the motivation up in the long term!
  • ngolston
    ngolston Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm about at goal weight now and have been using MFP for 1.5 years now. When I first started I was dropping 0.5-1lb a week but there were definitely a few weeks where nothing would happen or I would go up a pound. If you eating well and and sticking with your plan this will just be a short pause and then you will start losing again. Keep looking at the big picture, eat and train for the life you want to live.
  • black_sabbath
    Options
    Did you take measurements? If your partner can see the changes, then you are doing well. You would also do well to get rid of the scale - it is the worst investment a dieter can make. As you lose fat and gain muscle, the size of your body will reduce even if your weight doesn't. Pay attention to yoor measurements and the way your clothes are fitting. The number on the scale is just that - a number.

I did take measurements, my neck, stomach and hips are smaller :) But for some reason my thighs are now bigger? I don't quite understand what's happened there, but my clothes are looser :) I'm terrible with the scales...I'm on them everyday sometimes more than once.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    One week without a loss is nothing. As someone else mentioned, weight loss is not linear. You could easily go without a loss for one, two, three weeks, then all of a sudden there's a pound gone. That's just the way it works. I echo the suggestions to take pics and measurements because if you're going to get upset over not dropping weight after a week you're going to be pretty miserable through this process if you don't find other ways of measuring success.

*Edited to add: if you don't lose weight for two months or so that's more of a plateau and a good time to reevaluate what you're doing.
  • mrh0rnet
    mrh0rnet Posts: 26
    Options
    FYI, you aren't going to lose weight every week. If you constantly base your progress on the scale you'll be doing nothing more than disappointing yourself. I had a point where I stopped losing and actually gained 4 pounds. Didn't sweat it, kept doing what I was doing and within 2 more weeks I dropped 10. The body just works that way sometimes.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i had a 3 week standstill. i just got off of it late last week.i was so happy to see the scale go down again. it will start going down again. increase time exercised thats what i think helped me. i added 15mins to my workout.
  • britfout
    britfout Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged, I really want to reassure you that you are doing a great job! I will go up to two weeks without losing a pound and then suddenly drop 3 pounds the next week and another 2 after that! It's weird it's happened multiple times in my weight loss journey, I have never consistently lost a pound a week, it comes off in random spurts. So keep it up and you will see it on the scale eventually! Be proud of yourself and what you have accomplished so far, visualizing your goal is a good motivating tool as well. I like to look at old pics of myself pre-pregnancy and pre-baby weight and it really helps me keep my eye on the prize! Good luck and good job so far!
  • forsettii
    forsettii Posts: 29
    Options
    Lol, at least it was a week. I stayed at the same weight for 3 weeks. Granted I was loosing inches, but the scale was my #1 enemy for those weeks.

Just remember it took you a long time to gain the weight, it is not a race to get it off, just feels like it. I have plateu'ed a few times. Just keep doing what your doing and it will drop again soon.

Walk more, ride your bike or just plain move but sometimes your body takes a break and reboots.
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me Too!
    Lost steadily for the first 4 weeks and now nothing for the last two!

I would be properly upset by now if I hadn't taken measurements - I've lost 17cm overall in the last two weeks.
    Phew! And my clothes are definitely looser too.

Personally I just keep reassuring myself that if I give up now I DEFINITELY won't lose weight
    ....but if I keep on keeping on then I will eventually.

Keep the faith!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I get stalled 2 weeks per month and not during ToM liked a person would expect. It sucks big time.