I can't eat fresh...anything

Options
Hi,
I suffer from ulcerative colitis and IBS, and nearly lost my colon last year. I am happy to say that I'm in remission now and only have to deal with the IBS. I noticed in many posts people rely on fresh produce and nuts or popcorn to get through snack situations. I can't have any of those.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Hurry please...I'm starving to death :explode:

Thank you

Replies

• lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things can you have?
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Crohn's and colitis run in my family and I've been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I got good advice from a naturopath on eating a high protein diet, with lots of soft foods. Snacks that I enjoy are greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs. When I want/need a carb in my life, I like an english muffin with natural peanut butter (and sometimes honey or no sugar added jam or bananas). My stomach has been SO much better since I started eating lighter/cleaner/protein rich!
  • AmyWalsh711
    AmyWalsh711 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know much about IBS so sorry if you can't have this either but I use Cheerios as a snack: 100 calories/cup, 1g sugar and low in everything else.
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Here is an IBS site that has tons of suggestions.

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods.htm
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Wow, that would be tough. I think you might be best to go to a dietician and get some good advice on what will be the best foods to keep you healthy. Good luck.
  • festeris
    Options
    Wow, that was quick! These are all great ideas - cereal, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, English muffins, peanut butter.

Thanks for your help, I'm snacking now...
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    String cheese is quite yummy :) is dairy ok?
  • festeris
    Options
    Dairy intolerant too, but can tolerate cottage cheese and yogurt. As I understand it they are processed in a way that bleeds out the dairy end of things, lactose wise.
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have UC as well and I have a problem with raw veggies. Fruit does not seem to bother me though, and neither does popcorn, but nuts and seeds do. I have found since staring on my weight loss journey that processed foods tend to bother me. Never knew that was a problem before, but now if I eat something that comes out of a box, I need to watch out!!

Everything I have found out about UC is that it effects everyone differently. So what bothers me, may not bother you. Are you trying to lose weight?
  • festeris
    Options
    I have UC as well and I have a problem with raw veggies. Fruit does not seem to bother me though, and neither does popcorn, but nuts and seeds do. I have found since staring on my weight loss journey that processed foods tend to bother me. Never knew that was a problem before, but now if I eat something that comes out of a box, I need to watch out!!

Everything I have found out about UC is that it effects everyone differently. So what bothers me, may not bother you. Are you trying to lose weight?

Yes, I lost 50 already on my own but am losing motivation. I found this site accidentally while searching for apps on my Android. Seems like a good fit for me and hope to drop my last 50 pounds while here. As you say, everyone is different. I've met others with the disease, and it amazes me how what triggers a flarein one person, will not phase another.

Of course, as I write this, my eye keeps drifting to the bright yellow EGGO Banner hovering at the top of this page! Hmmm...That reminds me. I believe I have some buried in my freezer from when my grandsons slept over last...
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Also there is a Chrons/UC/IBS group if you search under groups for Colitis you should find it. It isn't very active but it is helpful to look through the old posts.

Hope you didn't get those Eggo's out!
  • festeris
    Options
    Also there is a Chrons/UC/IBS group if you search under groups for Colitis you should find it. It isn't very active but it is helpful to look through the old posts.

Thanks for the group tip, I will check it out. The Eggo's sadly took a beating. But I didn't use any syrup and plan on a nutritious dinner to atone for my sins...:ohwell:
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have oral allergy syndrome, so can't eat fresh/raw fruit or vegetables. For the longest time, all of my fruits came from Dole fruit cups (packed in water/juice, not syrup) and things like applesauce. All vegetables had to be cooked.

Now I find that if I steam things a bit - or even just microwave them for 20-30 seconds - that helps. Maybe it would help you too?
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

ULCERATIVE COLITIS GROUP
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/848-ulcerative-colitis
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    When there's a specific medical condition involved...I would suggest talking to your doctor and getting a referral to a nutritionalist for your dietary needs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease, so I know how you are feeling. My irritants are artificial preservatives, wheat gluten and certain dairy fats. I can eat nuts though, which is good because almonds are my go-to snack. Can you eat cucumbers that have been peeled and seeded? They should be fairly benign in terms of irritation. I would snack on them with some hummus. Another favorite snack/breakfast is gluten free waffles with peanut butter (creamy) and banana. Also, hard boiled eggs and avocado. Good luck!