Am I eating enough?

Options
I'm hungry. I hate to diet because I hate to be hungry. Today is Day 8 and I've not lost a pound. In fact, I was up just the tiniest bit this morning on the scale and was terribly disappointed. Generally in the first week, I lose 5-8 pounds and that helps me see that the sacrifice is worth it. I find it very odd that I've lost nothing and feel no different except, of course, cranky from hunger! LOL!

Is 1200 calories really enough? I swear my two very thin, very toned children eat more than this every day and they're 2 and 5!

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    whats your height/weight and activity level?
  • TheeFierceOne
    TheeFierceOne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? You may be eating too few calories. 1200 doesn't work for everybody. I'm one of those people, I have to eat more to be happy and healthy and lose.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't know your whole situation, but I'm a firm believer that 1200 calories is just enough to survive on. I can't see your diary, but I would experiment with upping your calories some and seeing how that works out for you.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    1200 calories per day is too little for a lot of people. try upping your calorie intake to 1500 calories per day. i eat about 1500 per day and i've llost 22 pounds in the past few months. If you eat too little your body won't lose weight as well. try eating a little more than you are now, it should make a difference. and don't forget to add some exercise in there.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally do not think 1200 is enough. When I tried it, I was cranky and hungry and felt stupid. That said, don't let anyone tell you that you haven't lost because you are in starvation mode...that's not possible if you have been eating that low for only one week. Anyhow, are you measuring and logging everything you eat because it seems hard to believe that you wouldn't have lost anything at 1200 calories.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try Primal eating. I'm never hungry, eat roughly 1200-1400 calories a day and have lost a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. I exercise when I have time, not because I have to. Add me as a friend if you'd like to know more about it.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't visable. Honestly, 1200 calories isn't really enough... Make sure you're eating your exercise calories back, first and foremost; and you may want to adjust your settings to where you lose 1.5lbs a week, not 2. Your body is probably in shock!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height, weight, and activity.

I'm eating 1820 a day not including exercise cals, and I'm losing 1 1/2 lbs a week.
  • megbob
    megbob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd say 1200 is the minimum you should eat, if you're doing any type of cardio then you're burning some of those calories off so you'll need to increase a little to compensate. I set my goal at 1200 and had the same results, nothing. I increased my goal to 1330 and I've lost 5 lbs in the first 8 days. Good luck!
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I find if I don't drink, I don't lose!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My kids (3 1/2 and 2) eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I know that 1200 is not enough for me and my body doesn't burn fat when I eat that little. I need 1500-1600 net calories in order to burn fat.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Imo, 1200 calories is a no-no. I would start at 1700-1900 calories at first. After a few weeks if you don't notice a steady decrease in weight, try going down to 1500. I honestly feel that should be low enough for most people...although it really does depend on your BMR like others have mentioned.

I also agree with HelenDootson, be sure you're drinking plenty of water as it aides in the weight loss department.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I lose well on 1200 .... however i upped my cals to 1300-1400 and my loss has slowed down, but im happy with the slower loss ... my skin has some catching up to do and Im not in any real hurry... Ill see how I go over the next few months and decide if I should go up in cals or back down to 1200 ....

everyones body is different ... eat more exercise more and find what works for you

mixing it up works for allot of ppl (eating different numbers every day)
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    Diary is public now.
    Just checked - BMR is 1551.
    I am 5'5", 184, F, 31Y.
    I work an office job all day but then chase my kids around all afternoon/evening. I have to eat a lot of protein or I get that hungry/dizzy/nauseous thing happening. Hopefully that's not my issue. I've been trying to spread my food out, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner so I'm never full and I'm never starving but what's happened is that I am never satisfied. I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up, but there must be a way to get there.

And the water thing IS an issue - I dislike water immensely, but have been trying to flavor it with Crystal Light, etc, so that I will increase my intake.
  • helen0616
    Options
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat my calories (except on weekends when I eat out/have wine etc) but I have been making an effort to eat more and my weight is starting to come off.

Try increasing gradually and look at your net cals if you're doing exercise.

theres a group called eat more to weigh less with some great examples of how you dont need to starve to lose weight
  • st3870
    st3870 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WATER ISSUE- LOW CAL G2 IS GOOD-CUT 1:1 or 2:1 with water
  • imthelobster
    Options
    Diary is public now.
    I am 5'5", 184, F, 31Y.
    I work an office job all day but then chase my kids around all afternoon/evening. I have to eat a lot of protein or I get that hungry/dizzy/nauseous thing happening. Hopefully that's not my issue. I've been trying to spread my food out, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner so I'm never full and I'm never starving but what's happened is that I am never satisfied. I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up, but there must be a way to get there.

And the water thing IS an issue - I dislike water immensely, but have been trying to flavor it with Crystal Light, etc, so that I will increase my intake.

I'd start upping your cals to eating at 1500 and see how you do/feel (do it gradually if you need to, start with 1300, then 1400, then 1500). If you're still not losing after 3-4 weeks, look at changing up what you're eating/exercise/etc. I know it seems like a contradiction to eat MORE than what you are in order to lose weight, but your body really does want to be fueled. For an example, I had stalled in my weight loss for a month. Hadn't lost anything, and was eating 1500/day. I upped my cals to 1800 and finally started losing again.
  • imthelobster
    Options
    Diary is public now.
    I am 5'5", 184, F, 31Y.

Oh also, in terms of protein, MFP has the goal set really low for that. I went and changed my macros to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fats) because the protein that it initially sets is like 15%, which doesn't fill me up at ALL.
  • helen0616
    Options
    Diary is public now.
    I am 5'5", 184, F, 31Y.

Oh also, in terms of protein, MFP has the goal set really low for that. I went and changed my macros to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fats) because the protein that it initially sets is like 15%, which doesn't fill me up at ALL.

Thank you, that helps. I thought it was weird that it keeps telling me I have had too much protein, coming from a background of Weight Watchers for years. I've always strived to consume some protein at every meal and thought this was a good thing. So I should just ignore that little message that says I'm not going to lose weight?