Fish Burps

Options
I take my fish oil pills every morning and for the rest of the entire day I burp up the taste of fish! How can this be prevented? It's so gross.

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of people say that! I've never noticed that problem, but my husband has. I can't think of what I could be doing differently than he is though!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    How about taking them with your fattiest meal so better absorbed.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Take them at night. By the time you get up, you'll have digested them and have no fish burps.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem, but a friend does. She swears by freezing them.
    Kaye
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    take krill oil supplements. its the same thing, but NO fishiness.
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    I have the same problem too
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It doesn't matter what time I take them...morning, noon or night. I get that taste...ugh....it is disgusting. I get it from the iron I take, too. I mean, I don't think it's fish from the iron but a horrid taste. Hope something helps...I'd be interested in it, too.
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    I know what you mean - even worse, I take a fish oil, garlic and a cayenne pepper pill. lol.
    I just take them with my biggest meal of the day, after a few bites of food and let the rest go down after and I usually have no issue.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Do you take them with food? I don't take fish oil, but I've noticed with my multivitamin that if I take it with food, I don't get the burps.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try taking it at night and then brush your teeth immediately afterwards. You should have enough time to digest it overnight, and it will digest quicker if it is the only thing in your stomach. I hope this helps!
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    take krill oil supplements. its the same thing, but NO fishiness.

I heard krill is the best
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Krill oil seems a bit unethical to me. Overfish the krill and you disrupt an entire ecosystem.

As far as fishy burps go. I don't really get them after I take my fish oil unless I eat too fast, then it's fish burp city but that's my own fault for being such a glutton. But it doesn't taste really bad, tbh. Maybe it's the brand? I like Natural Factors salmon oil. It comes from wild caught salmon rather than being a questionable mix of farm raised rubbish and as a bonus, they use the bits that would otherwise be treated as waste which makes this faux greenie feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Oh, I just googled! Apparently Natural Factors salmon oil is enteric coated to reduce fishy burps. No idea what that means, could be supplement industry speak for "give us your money and enjoy your fishy burps, you stupid cow". Maybe you need enteric coated fish oil capsules?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of people say that! I've never taken fish oil, makes me not want to if I ever do!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha - I found the same! My solution was to stop taking them! Bleurgh! x
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take a prescription dose of fish OIL - like a shot. I HATE fish but I know that the benefits outweigh my dislike. When I told my dr that I wanted to stop taking it because I hated the after taste SOO much this is what she told me to try:
    1) Try taking it in the evening just before supper - sometimes your other food will mask the after taste
    2) Try taking it just before a heavy snack - same idea
    3) Try taking it right before bed, this way the after taste comes while you are asleep (personally I wasn't brave enough to try this one)

What works for me... Mint oil! I take my shot of fish, and then use pure mint oil on my hands and put some on the back of my tongue and then have a light snack. This helps!
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It is the most gross thing ever. I've heard that the burp-less kind helps. But also, there are varieties of vegetarian/vegan that work the same way as fish oil. I tried to find the name but I couldn't find it. Dr. something.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I use the Nature Made "burpless" ones.. more expensive, but I've never had any issues with them.
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    If you're taking them for the omega 3, try chia seeds. All the omega 3 and zero fishiness.
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    To get my omega's and DHA in-I take UDO's oil. 1tbsp in the morning and one at night.

Noooooo fish!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Fish burps usually indicate oxidation or inferior production. Switch to one of the better (and pricier unfortunately) brands and you shouldn't have that problem. Nordic Naturals and Carlson's are two that I use.