My FIRST Triathlon-Ironman Muncie 70.3

Options
Well I sucessfully completed my 1st triathlon this past Saturday. I did the Ironman Muncie 70.3. Yes I decided to do a half Ironman as my first triathlon. My thoughts were that if I didn't make it at least I would go down swingiing for the fence. Unfortunately because of the heat, the race directors decided to shorten the race to a 1 mile swim (instead of 1.2 miles), a 30 mile ride (instead of 56 miles), and a 6.2 mile run (instead of 13.1 miles). The water temp was 88 degrees which created a lot of cramping issues for me and the run was about 98 degrees with a heat index of over 100. But I finished and that's all that matters to me. I am now a triathlete. Not too bad for a guy who just ran his 1st 5K on July 4th last year and has lost over 100 pounds in the process. Now I'm focused on Ironman Louisville which is a full Ironman on Aug 26th. That's a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle and a 26.2 mile run. Time to get to training.

Replies

• niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    WOW WTG!!!!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    congrats I am training for a 10k in October
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I need to eventually do something like that too.
  • MarkTheBeastR
    MarkTheBeastR Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Hey if I can do it you can too.
    Congrats!!! I need to eventually do something like that too.
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and good luck for Louisville.
    Hope the weather is kinder.

Nothing like finishing your first Ironman ( just finished my 5th last Sunday ) - it's magical.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Congratulations - I am always in awe of triathletes!
  • heatherambrosia
    Options
    Way to go! Having graduated from Ball State, I'm extra excited for you!

Over the last year, I've lost 114 lbs, have 2 5Ks in the next two months and will train for a sprint triathlon for October (250 yard swim, 9 mile ride, 2 mile run). It's a little baby tri, but I'm excited.

Good luck in August!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I am planning on doing Ironman cozumel in 2014, and probably a half (racine) next year..just getting back into shape and training this year..
  • MarkTheBeastR
    Options
    Wow! That's amazing! Congrats. Good luck with the 5K's and with the Sprint. That is pretty incredible.
    Way to go! Having graduated from Ball State, I'm extra excited for you!

Over the last year, I've lost 114 lbs, have 2 5Ks in the next two months and will train for a sprint triathlon for October (250 yard swim, 9 mile ride, 2 mile run). It's a little baby tri, but I'm excited.

Good luck in August!
  • MarkTheBeastR
    Options
    You've got some big goals there. That's great. I'm sure I could get some pointers from you!
    Congrats, I am planning on doing Ironman cozumel in 2014, and probably a half (racine) next year..just getting back into shape and training this year..
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! Maybe you should try one during the Autum time or winter lol! But, way to go on choosing an Iron man for your first Tri.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Good luck on your Ironman, you'll love it. It was such an amazing experience for me. Make sure you're ready for the heat!!

Ironman Cozumel IS AMAZING. I did it in November...SO much fun. It's just a pain to get there. Make sure you use bike delivery service and DON'T bring it on the plane with you. It is a NIGHTMARE to get it to Cozumel. You have to bribe every bus/train/plane/ferry guy along the way to actually get it on board. Not kidding..
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    wow sounds like youll have the next one nailed too with dedication!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!