exercise as therapy

Options
it's amazing how exercise a few times a week makes you feel that much stronger, both physically and mentally. i went through a rough patch and came out smiling, strong, and positive - i think because i worked out my stress exercising. it also gave me that mental boost - that i'm strong enough to go out and set goals for myself and accomplish them, and that nothing can bring me down. this is motivation enough to keep going.

how does exercise positively effect you in ways other than the scale?

Replies

• tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way... I love feeling your strength improve week by week. And I love the serotonin dump during intense exercise. I'm in a bit of a spot right now cause I was injured 3 months ago and I'm unable to push myself as hard as I like, but that's still not an excuse to not move and enjoy my body :-)
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No, exercise doesn't make me feel better. In fact, it's about my definition of hell. I hate working out, I hate being all hot and sweaty and I'll probably never be one of those people who enjoy exercise. I just feel miserable and exhausted by the time I'm finished, never strong or positive, and it's been like that with any type of exercise physically available to me.

I'll never be one of those people who enjoy exercise. The only reason I keep exercising is because it gives results.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No, exercise doesn't make me feel better. In fact, it's about my definition of hell. I hate working out, I hate being all hot and sweaty and I'll probably never be one of those people who enjoy exercise. I just feel miserable and exhausted by the time I'm finished, never strong or positive, and it's been like that with any type of exercise physically available to me.

I'll never be one of those people who enjoy exercise. The only reason I keep exercising is because it gives results.

You should try iceskating.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how exercise a few times a week makes you feel that much stronger, both physically and mentally. i went through a rough patch and came out smiling, strong, and positive - i think because i worked out my stress exercising. it also gave me that mental boost - that i'm strong enough to go out and set goals for myself and accomplish them, and that nothing can bring me down. this is motivation enough to keep going.

how does exercise positively effect you in ways other than the scale?

It makes me feel more alert, at least for an hour or so after it, but it didn't help my severe depression: only a combination of drugs and bi-weekly one-on-one psychotherapy made a real impact on that. It's awesome that it helped you through a rough patch, but I'm not sure it's a good way of combating anything more serious than "the blues".
  • Pete969
    Pete969 Posts: 5
    Options
    Try dancing - modern jive (Ceroc) or West Coast swing or any other kind of dancing you prefer - it's not like exercising at all! Pete
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It's why I run. Not for weightloss, or for improving my heart / lungs legs. I run because I my shoulders drop 3" every time I run. Nothing else unwraps them from up round my ears like a good run.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the only thing I've found that controls my depression. Since I began running almost 5 years ago I think I've had one minor bout and that was because I COULDN'T run because of an injury! I feel like a completely different person and its just wonderful.
  • shannond1980
    shannond1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I met a really terrible person over a year ago and spent awhile being really down about things they said and did.
    I decided to get back into the gym for the last three weeks now that that person is no longer in my life and started running again and I feel like I've started to turn a corner mentally and physically. It's definitely therapy for me!

I feel better about myself when I accomplish that workout although I'm not always looking forward to it before I start, lol

Thanks for sharing this topic!