Sugar from fruits

Options
I have been trying to cut back on my sugar intake so decided to eat more fruit for my cravings. No matter if I eat fruit or chocolate seems I am getting the same amount of sugar per day??? I am just curious if it is just as bad??

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    In the end, sugar is sugar.

The thing with fruits though is it has fibre which slows down the processing and they generally have a lot of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that chocolate doesn't have.

People have the tendency to think that fruit is healthy so the more I eat, the better; but that's not the case.

My opinion.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    In the end, sugar is sugar.

The thing with fruits though is it has fibre which slows down the processing and they generally have a lot of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that chocolate doesn't have.

^^^ Yup.

Sugar is sugar, but fruit sugars tend to be absorbed more slowly by the body since they aren't separated from the fibers like processed sugars are. And you generally get nutrients from most fruit.

But if you want to cut the cravings, you are better off cutting down on the sugar, even the fruit sugar. That doesn't mean cutting out fruit entirely, and fruit is certainly healthier than candy, but keep it to 2-3 pieces of fruit a day if you can.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure that out for myself today, but I can't find anything that argues that fruit sugars should be avoided. Everywhere I go, it says "eat as many fruit as you want, it won't matter."

If anyone can direct me to a credible source that states one side or the other, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    I don't believe fruit is bad for you. No one ever got fat eating too much fruit.
    Yes, there are natural sugars in fruit...NATURAL...and while sugar is sugar it's so much better to be getting too much sugar from fruit than it is from junk. It's like everything...keep it in moderation, eat clean, eat well.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    not all sugar is the same.

Read here:

http://www.drfuhrman.com/faq/question.aspx?sid=16&qindex=3
  • starrygirl82
    starrygirl82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree, sugar is sugar. I thought it would be ok to eat all the fruit I wanted since it was natural. Boy was I WRONG. Actually made me really sick. I have a sugar problem, so I eat very little fruit. If I do eat any all I stick to blueberries, apples, blackberries, or peaches.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat eating too much fruit.

Challenge accepted.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted.

lol, i just took a drink of water as I read this and almost spit it out on my computer.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted.

lol, i just took a drink of water as I read this and almost spit it out on my computer.

I'm pretty much a bottomless fountain of joy and amusement on these forums.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is more natural, God made. For now I want to increase my fruit intake.
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    IMHO - Refined sugars are bad news. You're way better off eating fruit. Sure, you'll get some sugar in the fruit. But the fiber slows it's absorption into your body and helps you feel satiated. And you'll benefit from the other nutrients in the fruit. I'm sure it is possible to over do it with fruit just like anything else. Just keep an eye on your macro nutrient totals to make sure you're maintaining a reasonable balance and let common sense be your guide.

If you have some time, search You Tube for "Sugar The Bitter Truth" for a lengthy explanation of why refined sugar is so bad.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Fruit is fantastic for you, but it can limit your overall weight loss potential. Stick to only 2-3 servings of fruit a day.

When I was 206lbs and cut all but lemons and limes out of my food intake, I lost 30lbs in 40 days. (I also cut out gluten and dairy). I eased back into fruit and started gaining again.

I now limit myself to a handful of blueberries a day, and that is it for fruit for me.
  • nikkolec
    nikkolec Posts: 204
    Options
    IMHO - Refined sugars are bad news. You're way better off eating fruit. Sure, you'll get some sugar in the fruit. But the fiber slows it's absorption into your body and helps you feel satiated. And you'll benefit from the other nutrients in the fruit. I'm sure it is possible to over do it with fruit just like anything else. Just keep an eye on your macro nutrient totals to make sure you're maintaining a reasonable balance and let common sense be your guide.

If you have some time, search You Tube for "Sugar The Bitter Truth" for a lengthy explanation of why refined sugar is so bad.

Here is the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is a great talk about sugars.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Fruit is fantastic for you, but it can limit your overall weight loss potential. Stick to only 2-3 servings of fruit a day.

When I was 206lbs and cut all but lemons and limes out of my food intake, I lost 30lbs in 40 days. (I also cut out gluten and dairy). I eased back into fruit and started gaining again.

I now limit myself to a handful of blueberries a day, and that is it for fruit for me.
    Oops, misread, lol! I thought you said you removed lemons or limes, but you said all but lemons or limes. Sorry, haha.

Good read:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you're really worried about sugar, eat fruits with a lower sugar load like strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Fruits high in fiber like apples will be good, too. Only eat fruits high in sugar like bananas, watermellon, and pineapple once in awhile.

If you have to have chocolate, eat a little dark chocolate.