Wanting a success story...

Options
manit1117
manit1117 Posts: 54 Member
When starting out with your weightloss journey...were there many ups/downs before you finally said this is it and I'm giving it my all? I'm just so frustrated and feel like I'm always recreating diet/exercise plans. I see all these success stories and what that but I don't know what's holding me back.

Replies

• Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yes I went on/off diet like everything tried every trick in the book to get me fast results, fasting, pills, drinks, programs etc. It all came back and one day I looked at myself in the mirror and just had it, I knew it wasnt the person I wanted to be. I knew I couldn't eat the crap I wanted to be the person I wanted to be I didnt feel good inside or out.

I realized I liked fruits and veggies way more then I liked being fat lol

I am in the best shape of my life and that feeling alone helps me everyday to make great choices.

The magic pills to a success story:

Eating healthy + exercise = equals a success story.

Its not about WILL POWER sometimes its about WANT POWER? Do you WANT it bad enough> If you do you will succeed!
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been there and done it ALL as far as dieting is concerned. Like so many, I've tried the pills, drinks, wraps, starvation, low carb, etc! Temporary results every.single.time! Now, like SO many, one day it just clicked: I'm DONE with being unhealthy! I was holding my youngest daughter, and letting her see herself in the mirror, and when I was looking at my (non-existent) jawline - I really felt embarassed at how my face looked. And, that was it. I've been reading up, and learning everyhting I can about a healthy lifestyle. For me, it started with figuring out how many calories I needed and planning some workouts. Then, after I figured HOW MANY calories, I decided what KIND of calories. After 45 days on MFP, I've only lost 4.2 pounds, but at LEAST 10 inches from my whole body! All of my pants are starting to fall off, and I feel great!

You can do it! And, don't think that you can't celebrate any/all success! Don't wait to celebrate yourself...if you lose a pound - buy yourself some new earrings! FINALLY able to button those jeans or that skirt? New haircut!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My success story is still a work in progress, but the end is in light, I gave a blog on MFP documenting it, please feel free to read it.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of diets and failed. I give up to easily. I have hypothyroidism, so it's extremely difficult to lose anything. Where 'most' people will lose 4-5 lbs a month, I lose 1 a month. I'm going on 4 months now, and I'm down 2 lbs... It's seriously killing me. It's not fair to have this happen when I have no control over it. I'm busting my *kitten* working out and dieting, and 2 lbs in 4 months now... I hate it. I wouldn't care so much if I stuffed my face with everything in my path, or sat on my butt literally all day, but this really sucks.
  • mrsbez1
    mrsbez1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. This time I'm taking it in little steps. I can drop a lot fast but if I dont change my eating and keep up with the exercise it will creep back up. I agree with the previous poster...try little rewards for small goals (I'm going to try that, great idea!!) Also what I find helps is to try not to look at "giving things up" as a BAD thing. For example...I LOVE Snickers bars, but if I just do a Turbo video and burn 300+ cals I"m not going to eat that candy bar and totally erase the work I just did. So its not bad that I can't have the candy bar, it's AWESOME that I just burned a ton of calories and that much closer to my goal. It doesnt mean you cant have the candy bar, you just have to account for it and stay in your calories. Good luck, I'm right there with you, every calorie of the way! Are you joining Sara's next challenge?
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of diets and failed. I give up to easily. I have hypothyroidism, so it's extremely difficult to lose anything. Where 'most' people will lose 4-5 lbs a month, I lose 1 a month. I'm going on 4 months now, and I'm down 2 lbs... It's seriously killing me. It's not fair to have this happen when I have no control over it. I'm busting my *kitten* working out and dieting, and 2 lbs in 4 months now... I hate it. I wouldn't care so much if I stuffed my face with everything in my path, or sat on my butt literally all day, but this really sucks.

I know its frustrating as I have hypothyroidism as well. I workout and bust my butt and eat healthy as possible and the last 3 months-I have stayed the same. I wish I lost your 2lbs! Just keep going, I am..I am tired of giving up because If I do I dont have the right to complain about things that I want to change if I am not willing to work for them.

Can I suggest that you take your measurements, as I have not lost anything, I am fitting into sizes I never did before, please don't let the scale be the measurement factor of your success. There are so many non scale victory moments!
  • pilk32
    pilk32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had so many ups & downs I lost track. I've been doing MFP for over a year now off and on, and only really became a dedicated user about 3 - 4 months ago while I was playing wiffle ball with my 3 year old son in the back yard. I started becoming winded just pitching the ball to him, and bending down to pick it up after he threw them back to me. It was then that I made a concious decision not to lose weight like I had always previously tried to do, but to just flat out be healthier! Some key things that have helped me in the past 3 months (which is when I have lost all of my weight so far)...
    1. Changed eating habbits.
    a. 5 meals a day, spread out (2 of which are protien shakes)
    b. portion control. stick to the portions and your body will get used to it.
    c. Cook healthier. My wife and I cook a lot off of www.skinnytaste.com
    2. Be more active. I dont feel married to the gym/treadmill anymore. If I miss a workout, as long as I am eating OK, I am fine with it.
    3. Stick to the plan! and stop making excuses for yourself.
    4. Find an active hoby that you REALLY enjoy doing rather than workout's/cardio. Like I started playing Hockey again 1 - 2 nights a week, which I now look forward to, and also keeps my determination there to stay on track so I can become better and better each week.
    It has been surprisingly easy to do so far, and I plan on making it a complete lifestyle change, and not just a fad diet that I have been on in the past.So far I am at about 45 pounds lost, and about half way there in 3 months.
  • twirlymay
    twirlymay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is actually the first time I've ever posted in MFP because I've been quietly observing for months, trying to get the swing of things with this site. I read your post and related to it because it wasn't until about a month ago before I felt like things really started "clicking" with me, and I'm more determined now than ever. I think if you can tell yourself that you're going to really put forth the effort for one month, you'll start to feel so much better. It's a little overwhelming to think of where you want to eventually be, but I've realized that setting very small goals for myself, and not beating myself up, is what keeps me trucking every day. I just recently had a couple of people comment that they thought I had lost weight. It hasn't been much, but it's those moments that motivate me. I started fitting into my clothes better after a couple of weeks, and I grasp on to those small victories to keep me going. I've also decided that if I'm going to be realistic with this, I have to be patient and not get crazy obsessive if I mess up.
  • stemab3
    stemab3 Posts: 58
    Options
    Like you and many others faliing off the wagon has become habit. This is my first day on MFP, just jumped ship from weight watchers on line. I did ok there losing 14 only to fall off the wagon and gain 10 back.

If you find a way to make it stick for you please share as I'm willing to try anything at this point....good luck
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I understand...right therer with you....
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    When starting out with your weightloss journey...were there many ups/downs before you finally said this is it and I'm giving it my all? I'm just so frustrated and feel like I'm always recreating diet/exercise plans. I see all these success stories and what that but I don't know what's holding me back.

First you have to define success. The simple fact that you are here seeking help and support is truly a success story. I wrote in my blog that when you look ahead toward your journey it seems so daunting, but you have to just begin and keep beginning every day. Eventually you will have the "aha" moment when you not only see results, but you begin to realize your life has truly changed. Workouts become training sessions and food become fuel. You begin to realize that you can do this and you keep moving forward. Those moments come at different times and you just have to wake up each day and begin anew regardless of what happened the day before. Pretty soon you will have a string of days which turn into weeks and months and you will experience what I think you are calling a success story!!

Good luck and I will send you a FR so maybe we can help each other!
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat ladies.. :flowerforyou:

I find for me though.. I seem to have this strange 'Self Sabotage' thing going on..

(like my profile says.. I'm either 100% IN... or 100% OUT!) ..

I will workout hard every day for weeks.. a month or two? ... eat super clean.. and no sugar, lowww GI.. high Protein.. gallons of water etc etc.. lose weight.. feel great!.. strong and fit.. and I can SEE in the mirror my body changing in a GOOD way.. and I am sooo pleased!!!

then something *clicks*... (EVERY TIME!!!!)

and I stop immediately working out.. (it doesn't fade out.. it STOPS) ..

then I will almost 'secretly' .. eat a bad breakfast..
    a not great lunch... naughty snack.. then Chinese take out.. and so on and so on ...

I will do that for maybe a month? ... then start the 100% all IN again..

why why? .. what a strange thing.. I wish I knew why. :explode:
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options

First you have to define success. The simple fact that you are here seeking help and support is truly a success story. I wrote in my blog that when you look ahead toward your journey it seems so daunting, but you have to just begin and keep beginning every day. Eventually you will have the "aha" moment when you not only see results, but you begin to realize your life has truly changed. Workouts become training sessions and food become fuel. You begin to realize that you can do this and you keep moving forward. Those moments come at different times and you just have to wake up each day and begin anew regardless of what happened the day before. Pretty soon you will have a string of days which turn into weeks and months and you will experience what I think you are calling a success story!!

Good luck and I will send you a FR so maybe we can help each other!

THANKYOU for some great input! :flowerforyou:
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I first started out, i was NOT planning on really succeeding. I guess I just didn't believe I could do it, but I made myself get up every morning just to see what happened. 32 pounds later, I'm still a little bit in shock. You can do it!
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I find for me though.. I seem to have this strange 'Self Sabotage' thing going on..

I will workout hard every day for weeks.. a month or two? ... eat super clean.. and no sugar, lowww GI.. high Protein.. gallons of water etc etc.. lose weight.. feel great!.. strong and fit.. and I can SEE in the mirror my body changing in a GOOD way.. and I am sooo pleased!!!

a not great lunch... naughty snack.. then Chinese take out.. and so on and so on ...

OMG...You sound just like me. If you figure out how to get past whatever this is, please let me know. I feel like such a failure every time. :cry:
  • manit1117
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. This time I'm taking it in little steps. I can drop a lot fast but if I dont change my eating and keep up with the exercise it will creep back up. I agree with the previous poster...try little rewards for small goals (I'm going to try that, great idea!!) Also what I find helps is to try not to look at "giving things up" as a BAD thing. For example...I LOVE Snickers bars, but if I just do a Turbo video and burn 300+ cals I"m not going to eat that candy bar and totally erase the work I just did. So its not bad that I can't have the candy bar, it's AWESOME that I just burned a ton of calories and that much closer to my goal. It doesnt mean you cant have the candy bar, you just have to account for it and stay in your calories. Good luck, I'm right there with you, every calorie of the way! Are you joining Sara's next challenge?

I would love to join her next challenge but I think she may kick me out :) This will be my second challenge and I'm still not giving it 100%. The first 2 weeks my thinking I have this then I get so confident that it crashes on me :\ If she lets me in then yes I'm in. How about you?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have actually tried to lose weight by eating right and exercise and i'm actually losing weight.. Before I would just complain about being fat but sit around, not exercise and eat a bunch of junk.. And even though I am only just beginning my weight loss journey, I have already had ups and down. I have days where I feel like I don't want to work out at all. I have bad days (like today and yesterday) where I eat the wrong things... Last night I made peanut butter cookies.. Then my mom brought over a bunch of junk food (even though I tell her not to because I'm trying to eat healthier) and now it's just staring at me, saying "eat me". lol.. I'm tempted to just throw it all out right now. But tomorrow is a new day and I'm going to do better. I WILL succeed. I think if you look at it like that then you will. I started out by just eating healthier. Cutting meats down to 2 times per week, no frozen or processed foods and I stopped drinking pepsi (for the most part) and doing this so I can be a healthier person all around. Losing weight is just an added bonus. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. :)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I think that is sometimes called diet fatigue and having experienced it I can tell you it stinks. I wish I could put a finger on what is different this time for me but I cannot. All I know is that I am surrounded by health minded people and God has given me the strength to push on. I think when you have that "moment" where you eat bad just accept that and keep moving forward. I still eat bad, in fact last night I had tacos. It is not about a bad meal or bad week, it is about a new mindset.
  • manit1117
    Options

YOU ARE MY TWIN!!! I feel like I just wrote this exactly...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!